Notices

Weekenders 08 - 11 January 2021 Swimming against the tide

Old 01-06-2021, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Weekenders 08 - 11 January 2021 Swimming against the tide

Welcome to Weekenders

Swimming against the tide.

That’s how my life felt. I was the obstreperous one when I was a kid. I didn’t conform very well, liked to take my own path.

I was floundering and didn’t know where I was going, so swimming against the tide seemed easier for my mindset, though it always seemed the difficult option.

When I stopped drinking I felt I was once again swimming against the tide. Most people I knew were drinkers.

I remember feeling it wasn’t fair that I couldn’t drink like a normal person but I didn’t seem to have an ‘off’ switch.

So I was doing this because I knew this time, not doing the norm was what my mind and body needed.

But how could I swim without getting caught up by a big wave or other obstacles I was swimming through.

I found the more I swam the stronger I became.

Swimming against the tide had strengthened muscles I didn’t use, it seemed.

The more I swam the more confident I became.

I could swim and conquer all obstacles.

Nowadays I’m in much calmer waters. But I always have my new found (sober) muscles to help me get through any rough waves.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)

Old 01-06-2021, 11:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags.

I notice Sao hasn't been posting. Hope all is okay?

Bim your local Eagle nest sounds lovely. My garden is full of feeders so has lots of small birds and subsequently squirrels which drive Alfie crazy. If I don't fill the feeders when they are empty the Robin looks at me through the window to let me know he is hungry!

My Dad is very lucky and receiving his second vaccine today. But somehow he is still moaning...

Old 01-06-2021, 11:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, Hope Sao is ok too.

Good news you’re dad is getting the second vaccine. There'll be no stopping him!
Old 01-07-2021, 12:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks Mags.

glad to hear your obstreperousness has cleared up.

hope everyone is doing okay in these turbulent times. last week's thread was rather quiet - reach out if you're having a tough time.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Mags, and Hi Kaily and Andy.

That picture made me think of Fargo Season 1 Mags

I'm IN.

Old 01-07-2021, 01:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Vinny, I liked the first season of Fargo but couldn’t get into next for some reason.

Hi Andy.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Morning All! . Thanks for the new thread Mags, I am in! x
Old 01-07-2021, 02:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Goooooood morning.

I woke up at 1:36 AM. That's early, even for me. All my worries swimming around in my head. Swimming. See what I did there?

Sao, please check in.

obstreperous . That's a good word. I had to look that up, I've never heard it before which is surprising as that describes me as a kid, too. Of course I am an only child and only grandchild so it makes sense that I was always the most lively one in the room and therefore got on the adults' nerves. They needed to relax and laugh a little.

If I posted every time I had something to say, this thread would be much busier. I'm trying to hold back! I really need you guys.

Welcome to Weekenders.

So much WTH in the world today!

Old 01-07-2021, 03:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags.

I'm in for my ELEVENTH weekend bulimia-free!!!! That is the best I've done in over 10 years and the very best without having alcohol to turn to instead!
Old 01-07-2021, 03:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mr

Hi Manta and Devizes (well done)

Bim have you gone back to sleep ?
Old 01-07-2021, 03:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thread Mags. I'm IN!

Like bim I had to look up what the word obstreperous meant. An interesting word but one that definitely didn't apply to me. As a child I was far too quiet to the point of being meek and quite withdrawn. The attraction of alcohol for me in the beginning was that it brought me out of my shell but then I became too reliant on it. But I do love your post about swimming against the tide. Somehow, in my own way, I've always felt that is exactly what I've spent most of my life doing. Certainly my adult life.

I love the picture bim!

I managed to get out to the shops and for a little walk this morning. It wasn't as icy as yesterday. I'm now waiting in for a delivery of a new computer. I mentioned a few months ago that my current one is on its last legs. It makes a loud buzzing noise at times, increasingly it is slow or freezes up completely and the fan is about to pack in. I'm sad to have to replace it though, I've had it since February 2014 but (a bit like me!) I think it's just worn out. I've had plenty of use out of it though. I'm surprised it's lasted this long. I'm also getting a new computer monitor to go with it so my whole computer experience is getting a complete overhaul. I'm going to leave it until Saturday to get the computer set up and running the way I like it. It will give me something to do at the weekend.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations Devizes eleventh weekend is fantastic!

Bim, that’s an early wake up, hope you managed to get back to sleep. Good to see your in tune with the op. Great video.

Hiya Manta

Robbie, my dad used to call me obstreperous and I was especially to him because I didn’t like his drinking. Or how he was when he was drunk. Ooh, a new computer. Sounds like you’ll have an enjoyable Saturday setting it up.

Sunny here now but cold, just been out with Mr. Mags to get his prep from the hospital ready for his colonoscopy on Sunday.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sometimes I remind myself of Dory, forget what I’m saying or writing, come to that!
Old 01-07-2021, 04:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm not going back to bed. I slept for almost six hours...too much racing brain.

I have gotten stuff done though and it's not even light yet!!

Turns out I can hand wash my laundry but boy is it labor intensive. It's okay, I need the physical movement and distraction.

All respect to my ancestors who did it this way all the time. I'm so spoiled living during this point in history. I'm really pretty humbled by the whole thing.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was never noisy and difficult but drunk I was the noisiest and most difficult drunk. Like Robbie I was shy and withdrawn without it.

Bim when I lived with my Dad growing up I had to hand wash all my clothes even my school uniform, he wouldn't allow a washing machine or give me money for launderette. Up until a few years ago when he got ill he was still hand washing his stuff (not very often I hasten to add). Now I do it for him in my machine. I kinda resent it as he never helped me ever. Goodness he has been pulling my strings today, I could use up all the pages of the internet moaning about him and his meanness.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know he's a thorn in your side.

I have no intention of continuing to do this. I haven't had to hand wash a bath towel or sheets yet. That will likely push me to a decision pretty quickly.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You could put the sheets in the bath then get in and dance/workout on them. Two birds one stone.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My kid was scared of the anglerfish scene in Finding Nemo when he was very young. Cars and Wall-E were his favorite kid movies.

In school, I was the personification of quiet and withdrawn.

When I was drinking I would allow myself to get sucked into the ridiculous news stories and the political banter, which reinforced my tendency to look forward to drinking each afternoon to relieve the stress and anxiety. A big part of my sober plan has been to let go of all the ridiculous political banter and media hype, which I now clearly see for what it is.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, sounds like hard work washing the big stuff by hand. I remember my nannan had a hand wringer and would put washed sheets through so neatly time and time again until they had almost all the water squeezed out of them.

Vinny, I’ve just your pic ‘what if you’re right and they’re wrong’
Old 01-07-2021, 06:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!
Emotional hangover this morning. Massive headache. As Bim so eloquently said, a whole lot of WTF in the world right now. Not going to lie, I spent a lot of the day yesterday seething with white hot anger. That's all I will say on the matter.

I was a pretty timid kid. I was not obstreperous in the least. I was afraid to take up any space, a lot of the time. At least that's how I remember it. I know I had joyful, carefree times mixed in, but my childhood was not that much fun. No abuse or anything serious like that, but a lot of the adults in my life scared me in various ways. I was a very anxious and fearful kid. I drank to loosen up and ease the anxiety in the beginning. Then it got out of control. I have learned to deal with my fears better now, but there are still times when the anxiety begins to ramp up. I have to be really aware of that and get a handle on it quickly. Thank goodness for my sobriety toolbox, and my ability to recognize the signs when I start to get out of control emotionally.

Hoping for an easy work day today. I need a gentle day.