Notices

Advent Weekenders 04-07 December 2020

Old 12-05-2020, 09:19 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, interesting video how dangerous leaves on rail tracks are. And fascinating how they get rid of them.

Sao, I’m guessing you didn’t get snow in 2010 down South. We had it bad enough(in English terms) to stop everything just about. Unless you had a 4x4. Even some of those got stuck.

A few pics from the snow of 2010 we took, except the aerial view of the steelworks. Usually the car parks were crammed full.
First pic is front garden. My first job was to clear some branches and refill bird feeders so they could get their food.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:30 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Good pics Mags. I think we did get it. I have been stranded twice due to bad snow but can't remember the years. Once I was at the stables feeding my horse and suddenly the snow came down. Took me 4 hours to drive home, normally a 15 minute journey.

Another time I was on my way to a wedding when a blizzard hit, never made it to the Church, (groom was 6 hours late) but did manage to make it to the hotel where reception was being held. I had to stay overnight as conditions were too bad to drive home. I had no money for a room so napped on a sofa in the hotel bar with my daughter. Great excuse to get drunk!
Old 12-05-2020, 10:49 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily I can imagine the journey, the roads were treacherous before they cleared them.
Oh gosh yes, it must’ve been a shining light to get stuck in a lounge bar overnight.

Old 12-06-2020, 01:30 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders

Kaily, hope your cravings aren't as bad today and that they quieten down even more. No winter sun here today I'm afraid. Just a forecast of more rain on the way.

Mags, yes it's 10 years ago since the UK had that gloriously cold and snowy winter. Lovely pictures that capture that winter.

I plan to have a lazy day today. Nothing planned so far other than a walk later this morning and then back home to make Sunday lunch.

Old 12-06-2020, 04:36 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Ah, I remember 2010. It was just superb!! December here is usually wet and pretty mild. Love your pictures, Robbie xxxxx
Old 12-06-2020, 06:13 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Samantha sorry you had to cancel your trip again.
thank you. I was very upset but rather than drinking facetimed my family, ate A LOT and kept busy. Sunday today and I always hated drinking Sunday. That being said.... day 13 today . Not sure why I'm having a harder time now than at the beginning of the pandemic. It's really getting to me and this year alone....this is my 11th day 13
Old 12-06-2020, 06:14 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

From Kaily's article:
In 2019 our leaf-busting trains treated 895,217 miles to keep the rail network clear. This is equivalent to traveling to the moon three and a half times.
Who knew? Thanks for that little foray into the nuances of British life. I feel sorry for the guys who scrub the rails by hand.

Sober Sunday morning. My favorite. All the days are blending together, though. I'm trying really hard not to look at the news. God help the blue planet.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:17 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Sunday Blessings, all.

BBL.

Love.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
I believe in miracles :)

I'm with you guys, celebrating my 4 weeks.

This was a very productive weekend, we have done so much with my little troll. Painting, Christmas tree, pancakes, cleaning... By the way, we even cleaned the little park just in front of our place. A kind of a wrong crowd has been hanging out there since the beginning of the second lockdown (bars and such have been closed so they come to drink and get high here). We took kitchen salad pliers to get their **** into a trash bag, very classy. One of the neighbours nearly fell off his window and another one surprised me with a standing ovation A funny story to share.

I hope you are well otherwise, stay strong December SRenders
Old 12-06-2020, 07:37 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Huge Congrats on four weeks, Velvetee.

That was a really good thing you did - and teaching your child to be of service is Extra Points.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:55 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

We live in a rural area and there are trash dumps for people to take their trash to. It's fine, but a lot of trash blows out onto the side of the road. Some people just throw things out their window also. We pickup beer cans and things in front of our house by the road once in a while.

FWIW, was just talking to a nurse who works in a local ER. She said that a common denominator among the people who have been coming in with covid has been a lack of wearing a mask. She said that she had it early on and had been wearing a level one mask, but has now upped her game to a level one and a level three both.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:58 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 4 weeks Velvetee.

I put up my Christmas tree this afternoon. All 3 feet (90cm) of it. Given that it only cost me £7.50 to buy from Wilko it's not too bad. It gets a few bad reviews on the Wilko website but I'm not sure what people expected from a tree for under a tenner. With lights added and a few baubles it actually looks half decent. Cheap and cheerful is how I would describe it.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:32 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

First, joyous and celebratory Congrats to all the assorted Sober Accomplishments here. Man, it does the Sober Heart good to read these!

The MesaPup Pic of the Day is brought to you by Hassock Curiosity. He was using it intermittently for his lil Fort. I got a pretty good Night of Schnooze on the Floor last Night, and he was nestled in between my Calves and the Couch. He's a quick study, so the need to do certain activities outside is catching on quickly. He's growing so fast, it's kinda All Schnooze ~ All The Time after Bowser Brekkie.

We have 4 Days pending of Sun & ~50 F [10 C] Degrees, so those conditions beat Pooch Training in the Mud. Pretty spectacular Dark Skies up here now. That's a plus if you have to be outside at O'Dark Thirty anyway.

'All' this Xmas has to be is better than the Xmas Eve Blizzard of 1982. With a good Pal of mine, we attempted to deliver his SIL back to her House in my hefty, 3/4 Ton Dodge Truck I used to tow around a Trailer full of Band Gear. We got bogged down on perfectly-flat, paved Road, and were both digging out like our Lives depended on it. Cuz, they did. My 'ZZ Top'-style Beard was freezing with Ice build-up, and the Wind promptly filled in whatever we dug out. The Universe sent by some good Dudes who were towing out Folks *for fun* using a 150' long Chain. That tow got us up to the Highway - parallel to the Wind - while his Hispanic/Catholic SIL said the Rosary in my Truck while counting her Beads. Musta worked! Denver completely shut-down with 24" of Snow on flat Ground [before the Wind factor], and commemorative Tee Shirts were even printed up. Memorably wicked.

A Vid of some Big Boy Toys clearing Train Tracks...

Rotary Snowplows On Trains

Old 12-06-2020, 09:01 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  
I believe in miracles :)

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Huge Congrats on four weeks, Velvetee.

That was a really good thing you did - and teaching your child to be of service is Extra Points.
Thanks! Trying to educate this (hopefully not lost yet) future generation

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
We live in a rural area and there are trash dumps for people to take their trash to. It's fine, but a lot of trash blows out onto the side of the road. Some people just throw things out their window also. We pickup beer cans and things in front of our house by the road once in a while.

FWIW, was just talking to a nurse who works in a local ER. She said that a common denominator among the people who have been coming in with covid has been a lack of wearing a mask. She said that she had it early on and had been wearing a level one mask, but has now upped her game to a level one and a level three both.
Well, there is a huge waste bin just in a few steps, but they don't bother and leave their trash under the bench. Makes me mad!
I don't go out for the most part but when I do, I do wear my mask (and properly).
Pardon my French, I call those who have theirs on their chin covidiots. What is it for except for making your chin sweat? Stupid.

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Congratulations on 4 weeks Velvetee.

I put up my Christmas tree this afternoon. All 3 feet (90cm) of it. Given that it only cost me £7.50 to buy from Wilko it's not too bad. It gets a few bad reviews on the Wilko website but I'm not sure what people expected from a tree for under a tenner. With lights added and a few baubles it actually looks half decent. Cheap and cheerful is how I would describe it.
Thanks!
Mine is small too, and cheap I like saving money on these things. And now that I don't live in the boozland anymore, I got myself 4 lovely cushions and a table cover for less than 50 euros.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:28 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Interesting video, thank you MesaMan.

I know about trains and snow-blowers, I've seen On Her Majesty's Secret Service...
Old 12-06-2020, 11:07 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Mr

Howdy all.
Its been a rather bad day for me.
I went for a walk this morning with mini Vman (7) and our setter Marley on leash.
Passing by a rented house where I know an agressive labrador resides we were attacked.
This is the second time this dog has come out onto the road and attacked us. First time it was just me and mini vman.
The first time this happened I spoke with the owner and said we will elt it slide as i was able to push him off with my daughters kick scooter.
The labrador is huge maybe 50kgs (guess) he runs straight for us in a very agressive fashion. Last time he went ofr my daughter.
Thios morning he attacked Marley mmy setter. The owner was inside shouting out at him. He is the double the size of Marley.
It all happened so fast and was so violent. At one point he had Marley by the neck and literally had one jaw around his neck and the other around his throat i thought he was going to kill him so i done the only thing i could i gave him a smack of my walking stick. He went away but came back.
Now the owner came out and almost attacked me in front of my daughter for smacking his dog. (i would never do that if it wasnt my only alternative)
I stayed very cold blooded and calm as my daughter started crying and was very traumatised. We went off with the nutter calling after us.
When we got home mini vman went inside i went back onmy own to set the nutter straight. He was still very nervous and trembling.
I gave him a bit of my mind and he was intimidating me with putting his face in mine. I put him straight.
He apologised and asked me to apologise to my daughter on his behalf.
I dont think i'm going to report it to the police.
I still feel terrible i had to hit back his dog.
Probably had no other choice, very vicious.
Probably the dog has been maltreated...
It all happened so fast.
$$hitty day

On the brighter side no drinking thoughts.
Tomorrow is a new day !
Old 12-06-2020, 11:15 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

I'm really glad no one was seriously injured, Vman. That must have been really scary for everyone.

I would probably have hit the black dog, too. I carry a large walking stick on all my walks. Not sure if I'm more afraid of the four legged or two legged variety.

I hope everyone can settle in and have some hot chocolate.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:43 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Sounds like an adventure. When I was growing up, everyone just let their dog run loose. There were frequent issues too. Now, I don't get letting dogs run loose. Too much that can go wrong.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:51 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

MesaPup will fix all that is wrong in the world today.

Man.

Cute.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:10 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Horrible situation Vman. Your daughter and your dog were under threat, I don't think you need to feel bad for hitting the dog.

Well done Velvetee.

Glad you are enjoying your Christmas tree Robbie.