Notices

Advent Weekenders 04-07 December 2020

Old 12-05-2020, 07:01 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, no we don’t get much snow in England. I guess it is big news when it does! We have had the odd time where it came down so heavy I couldn’t get to work. Only about twice in 30 years in this area that I remember.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:09 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Love the images and music today. Really picks me up as the rain/snow falls.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:04 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Congratulations Marty!
Congratulations Leigh!

You're both awesome!

Old 12-05-2020, 09:01 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

We are British and get overexcited about weather. Be it wind, rain or snow it can bring us to a standstill. Leaves on train lines is also a big problem in winter and causes travel chaos.

Just to put it out to the universe I am craving badly again. Want to lose myself in a drunken blur but being a sensible sober lady now of over 2 years I guess I won't.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:09 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, I remember going on holiday the first time abroad. Sunshine every day. No one spoke of it. It was there all the time. Here, completely different lol. Always talk of the weather.
Sorry you’ve got cravings. Keep that sober tool box close.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:14 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Well maybe it's because you English are polite and weather is a "safe" topic.

That's one reason I really liked the zoo, there were always animals to talk about so I could steer conversations in that direction whenever someone started talking about something I did not want to discuss.

Kaily, I want mince pie. I blame one of the eating disorder threads. I just looked up the ingredients and I think I can make it without flour or brandy and that will scratch that itch.

Walk.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:41 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I have been out for two walks today, second one was only half an hour, first much longer.

Mince pies, yes I could eat many - I didn't know they are made with brandy. I'm guessing the cheapo supermarket ones aren't?

Now craving mince pies, cream, brandy and red wine.

Saw some dogs chews in the shop today called Crave, decided that was the last thing I wanted my dogs to do so left them there.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:47 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Alfie already has that ball obsession so you know he's one of us.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:51 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Very true Bim.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:31 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hope your cravings pass soon Kaily

Bim, if you ever want to engage someone from the UK in conversation then you just need to talk about the weather. As a nation we're never really happy with the current weather. In summer we complain it's not hot enough or it's too wet then when we get a hot and dry spell it's just too hot and dry. Our winters have become slightly milder in the past three decades so instead of cold and snowy spells we often have winters which are just mild and wet. Because we don't get year-in, year-out hot summers we don't have proper air conditioning so we struggle to cope with heat and then because we don't get year-in, year-out protracted cold and snowy winters we don't have the proper infrastructure to deal with a few inches of snow and it all ends in chaos with schools and offices closed. Leaves on the line can bring trains to a halt. One year the wrong sort of snow brought the national rail infrastructure to a halt. But as Brits tend to be naturally reserved and the weather gives us something to talk about. You may have noticed that many of the Brits here, including myself, will start or end our first post of the day by giving a weather update...
Old 12-05-2020, 11:42 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

We have the same weather conversations here in Seattle, and the same 30 year recent shifts away from the heavier snows and rains and into a more moderate cycle. Anything extreme is big news here, too.

I am fascinated by the references to leaves on the tracks. Here in the rugged PNW we tend to need a bit more to stop the trains. Are your trains electric?

Old 12-05-2020, 11:52 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You stay strong Kaily.

I second what Robbie and others say about the weather. London collapses with a millimetre of snow. It got me looking online for some images of a snowbound London and I found this short piece of cine camera film. It is from the winter of 1962/3, the last really severe winter in London. What was special about this to me is that Napier Grove is the next street to mine, literally 100 yards/metres away. It is utterly changed now, below was a snap I took on Thursday.
https://youtu.be/kHKCZuNEJU8

Attached Images
Old 12-05-2020, 12:41 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

The winter of 1962/3 was one for the history-books for sure, saoutchik.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:28 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

6 years is awesome Marty! And 9 years is awesome Leigh! Big congratulations

And you too on 32 days Travelbug, and congratulations to everyone for whatever sobriety day you’re on, every single day counts

Lol yes Mags, I’d have to eat all the chocolate before it melts. Kaily is right, I would eat the whole lot in one go. I’d open up one little door to eat just one little chocolate and then the rest would follow in quick succession. We keep chocolate in the fridge, although “keep” is a misnomer because it doesn’t last in this house. We have to keep bread, eggs, potatoes, onions and fruit etc in the fridge too, otherwise it only lasts a couple of days in the heat. Bread goes mouldy within a couple of days outside of the fridge. In colder climates I remember Mum kept a lot of stuff in the pantry, but we can’t do that here...

Thinking of many of you talking of rain, cold and snow, we’re heading into hot, humid and sticky. Oh, that’s right, we’re already here. Plus there are some fires burning around here, not too big, but hopefully we’ll get some rain soon to put them out. The volunteer firies are busy backburning again this weekend. My partner is out again with his brigade. I always worry when they’re out fighting fires. But I pray they’ll be safe ❤️🙏🏻

Kaily I’m sending you lots of support I hope the cravings go away soon. I find dairy helps me (especially icecream) but I’m trying to stay away from sugar....., and Venuscat suggested a while back yogurt or milk, which both seem to help too.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:29 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Samantha

I'm hanging in there but struggling. Was supposed to go visit family next week but found out I can't due to lockdown and have to cancel my plane ticket....AGAIN.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:03 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hang in there anxiousrock. There is light at the end of this pandemic tunnel even if it's not as close as some would have us believe.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:33 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Yes, hang in there anxiousrock. Things hopefully will start to get better sooner rather than later.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:49 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

prayers kaily
Old 12-05-2020, 03:58 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Magsie

Samantha sorry you had to cancel your trip again.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:39 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone, cravings conquered for now.

Trees on the line explained Bim.
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runnin...lained/leaves/

Nice little nostalgic video Sao. I was born in June '63 so was being incubated in my Mums tum that winter. A strange thought as sadly I don't have any memories of her.

Thanks Willow, I'm sure ice cream would help, but there lies another problem - don't you just love addiction! Hope everyone stays safe fighting the fires.

Lets hope for some winter sun today.