Notices

Heading to the beach? Weekenders - 20-23 November 2020

Old 11-19-2020, 10:51 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Yes Mags, so many what ifs. It has been nearly a decade now. That track was Amy in her prime.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:36 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I brought this over from the last thread because it so simply illustrates A Solution.

I am not sure if people really understand the term AV in this context, but no matter, there are tons of explanatory threads in the Secular Abstinence Based Recovery section.

Any thought of drinking in the future is AV and therefore is not you. YOU don't drink. IT will never stop nagging so finding a way to shut it down within seconds is the key. Don't let it get a foothold ever.

I didn't fight with it for very long. I recognized early on that I was just going to have thoughts of drinking for maybe forever. If that is true then I just live with the little demon. It's practically lost its voice now, but I think it will likely always be there.

(Emotional Memory Management)Anxiety Sticky thread again, because it's really good.

There aren't 10,000 gifs about it for nothin'

Really helpful post, thanks Bim.
Shutting down the AV is key.
And playing the tape forward.
And coming to SR and posting.

I found some leftover wine from last weekend this morning. The AV immediately went “oh goody”. I immediately told it where to go in no uncertain terms and I got rid of it. The wine and the AV. Down the gurgler. It’s 6.30am for goodness sake. The AV is relentless, but we don’t have to engage with it.

Friday morning here, having a cup of coffee, getting ready for a short working day (only till noon today, yay! And definitely NO extra hours). I’m going to enjoy this sober weekend. I’m feeling a bit better today, a bit more alert. I think I actually got some decent sleep last night.
Happy Friday everyone
Old 11-19-2020, 05:37 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Hi Samantha, can you write a journal. Write your feelings down. Sometimes getting them out can help. It can be difficult being on lockdown. Perhaps a rota for yourself, something to help keep you focused.
I remember when I was first sober I did everything the same as when I drank but without a drink in my hand. I had to re-jig my thinking to go on the recovery road.
great idea actually . Will have to see if i can find some Journaling paper rather than just the computer.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:37 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Weekenders

Samantha, I hope journaling helps you.

Bim, great post.

Willow, enjoy your half day today. I loved Friday’s as we finished an hour early. Brilliant!

Have a good sober day, don’t be shy to shout out if you’re struggling. Many of us have been through it. One day at a time and surely and steadily it gets easier to reject alcohol and then comes the day you wouldn’t ever want it in your life.

See you later xx
Old 11-19-2020, 11:45 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Mags, I'm IN

Hello to all, i'll catch up later...

Old 11-20-2020, 12:06 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders

Up early again but I'm now getting to where I just don't want to lie in bed when fully awake in case I drift back to sleep and them wake up half an hour later feeling groggy. But getting up at 7am has its drawbacks, not least one being opening the curtains out of habit only to see it's still dark outside.

Welcome Celvetee. I hope you are feeling OK today.

MesaMan, your picture is beautiful. I love the vastness, the open space and the sweeping hills / mountains in the background. It's the scenic America I know from the old western films where I was always more interested in the beauty of the locations than the tired dialogue and shootouts.

Marty, good to read that all turned out well after your hospital visit. Enjoy the unseasonal weather as I think you once posted you have quite snowy winters?

Samantha, journaling is a good way of dealing with thoughts and feelings. Also drawing up a plan of things to do, even if those things are quite repetitive. I think you do this anyway, but I find having a routine and things to do each day helps. I also set aside a little time on a Sunday of things to do for the forthcoming week and then try to slot these into my daily goals.

sao, I love Amy Winehouse's music. 'In My Bed' is from her first album 'Frank' which I never got to hear in full until after she had released 'Back To Black'. Amy looks so healthy in the video but she apparently hated her looks and as we all know she found solace in bad relationships, drink and drugs. I remember when I first saw the video for 'Rehab', her first single from 'Back To Black' and I recall being taken aback by how she looked. She had changed so much in just three years, and not for the better. It's so sad what happened to her.

Thanks to bimini for a great and inspring post.

Willow, I'm glad you didn't drink the leftover wine. The sink is the only place for it to go so you put it down the right place. I hope you have a relaxing weekend and don't find anymore leftover wine in unexpected places! You will have finished work by now - I still miss those early finishes I used to have on Fridays when I was working - and hope you had a stress free Friday afternoon (it's just gone 8am here, I don't know what time it is where you are. 6pm maybe?).

Hello Mags and vMan

Old 11-20-2020, 12:39 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Robbie, I’m the same, I feel groggy if I go back to sleep too.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:45 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Welcome Celvetee. I hope you are feeling OK today.
Oops, apologies Velvetee. Slip of the typing finger there, I hit the C key instead of the V.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:49 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

It is a beautifully scenic picture mesaman. Much different than Florida.

Robbie, many of the old westerns were filmed in monument valley. We visited there several years ago and it was like, this looks like the scenery in every western I've ever seen. It's in the Navajo reservation and while we were there we went in a small eating joint with plywood walls and floors and we were the only white eyes. It was evident that we had crossed a line by going in there and we just ate our mutton stew and left.

Since I quit drinking, I get up wide awake nearly every morning between 4 and 5. Go to sleep in my chair around 9 every night also, not from passing out drunk though.

The Amy Winehouse song was nice. I gather that she was another in a long list of people whose promising contributions were cut short because of dependency?
Old 11-20-2020, 01:54 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Every single person that posts here helps me in my quest to remain sober. New people who are in the worst of the struggle as well as the older people who have insight I've not yet considered.

Hope everyone has a great Friday.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:02 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I had a good day thanks Mags and Robbie
Friday night and just had dinner, and not far off bed now (8pm here). No booze in sight.
5 days sober and looking forward to a sober sleep in tomorrow, bliss zzzz
Although I just read your post Cityboy, and it’s quite possible I’ll be awake at 5.30/6am as usual, although I don’t have to get up tomorrow and work, hooray!
Old 11-20-2020, 02:25 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
It is a beautifully scenic picture mesaman. Much different than Florida.

Robbie, many of the old westerns were filmed in monument valley. We visited there several years ago and it was like, this looks like the scenery in every western I've ever seen. It's in the Navajo reservation and while we were there we went in a small eating joint with plywood walls and floors and we were the only white eyes. It was evident that we had crossed a line by going in there and we just ate our mutton stew and left.

Since I quit drinking, I get up wide awake nearly every morning between 4 and 5. Go to sleep in my chair around 9 every night also, not from passing out drunk though.

The Amy Winehouse song was nice. I gather that she was another in a long list of people whose promising contributions were cut short because of dependency?
Thanks for the information about the location shoots for the old western films. I love watching them for the scenery, it brightens up even the poorest B list western.

Amy Winehouse went on a path of self-destruction from the mid 2000s. Much loved by the tabloids in the UK as much for her headline antics as her music she drugged and drank herself to death. Her decline was chronicled by the British press and the outcome (her death) was inevitable but still it was sickingly sad when it did happen in July 2011. The night before her death she consumed a large amount of alcohol, went to sleep and just never woke up again. Her body by then was very weak and simply couldn't take any further punishment. Her second (and last) album 'Back To Black' is a great album but the lyrics to some of the songs really are depressing as they deal with themes inspired by her addictions and the chaos of her life in general. The first single off the album was Rehab

I was actually in a 8 week day rehab programme when the above single was in the UK top 10 in late 2006. It might sound a bit cliched but it's sort of my song as it takes me back to then, even though unlike Amy I did go to rehab.

The other standout song from the album is the title track, 'Back To Black'. Again it has a dark theme behind it, this one is about her being dumped in real life by her then boyfriend (who she later married) for another woman. Sadly she seems to be forseeing her own demise in this video. Like much of the album the sound is a throwback to the 1960s girl groups, this music in this one reminds me a bit of 'Baby Love' by The Supremes.

Old 11-20-2020, 02:59 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Magsie

Robbie, I loved Amy’s voice. I used to hope and prayers someone could help her, but I realised when I got sober, people can only help you if you want to be sober. It’s got to start with each of us.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:41 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
I believe in miracles :)

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Have you tried deep breathing techniques? How about a long walk?
I stayed strong thanks!
Old 11-20-2020, 03:43 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags for the opener-
Lovely soppressata and prosciutto in that picnic photo.
I could've sworn I'd already posted as 'in", but... nevermind.
In!

Yesterday, I had the chance to upgrade my Ubuntu 20.04 to version 20.01.
Amazing OS. Fully loaded with all apps. Fully customizable.
Exciting, eh?
(And 100% free)

For a while, I created a dual boot system,
then totally parted with Windoze for good, more than 15 years ago.

Ubuntu codenames all of their releases with an adjective + an animal.
20.01 is codenamed Groovy Gorilla.
HA!

Have an enjoyable and safe weekend, everyone.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
groovygorilla.jpg (19.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 11-20-2020, 03:44 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
I believe in miracles :)

Thank you all for your support!

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Oops, apologies Velvetee. Slip of the typing finger there, I hit the C key instead of the V.
Hah, no problem
Friday.... but I'll make it!
Old 11-20-2020, 06:17 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Magsie

Great News Velvetee

I thought I’d seen a post from you too lunar
Old 11-20-2020, 06:52 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm getting my beach bag all packed and ready to go for the weekend. Mask and snorkel, fins, bathing suit. Sunblock and floppy hat. A picnic lunch of yummy treats, and a cooler full of nice cold non-alcoholic drinks.

OK, no. But I wish!

Yes, Robbie, we have very cold and snowy winters here. Yesterday was a little slice of heaven for this late in November. I went for a nice walk after work around the neighborhood with no hat or mittens and with just a light jacket. Soon enough, it will be winter for real. I won't have my usual tropical vacation to look forward to this January. Decided I could not make plans with a pandemic still raging. I would have had to start planning a while ago - it's way too late now. Although I'm guessing occupancy is down everywhere and I could probably get a good deal. I'll skip it this year and spend that money on something else. I'll hope for January of 2022 for a nice trip. Maybe Costa Rica or Panama.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:25 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I want a free OS named Groovy Gorilla! That's awesome, lunar. Every day I just say a little prayer that my computer keeps running. I signed on for W10 when it was a free download. I like it, but I need a new Office Program and refuse to spend that amount of $$$.

Friday morning in the U.S. and it's the day a lot of people struggle to stay sober. There are so many hours to do whatever I want. I love it.

I do remember it's tough in the first couple months but that is a small price to pay for the freedom, health and peace I have now. I'll never forget how difficult it was and I'm not going back there.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:59 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I’m in! It’s been a rough week and glad it’s the weekend. Got brunch at my mums tomorrow and looking forward to playing with the Ruby the puppy Things are a bit tough at the moment but to be fair I am causing a lot of the problems and stress myself. I dealt with a work situation pretty badly this week so am in a bit of trouble. The way I dealt with the situation was way worse than what had actually happened, I’m in self sabotage mode and it needs to stop. I’m still not managing to stay sober for long but the periods between drinks is full of doom and gloom and self created problems. Classic alcoholic behaviour. I need to remember how it felt to not have this constant cloud over my head and how positive and healthy my thinking was when I was sober a long while.

I am not after any sympathy here at all just needed to be honest with myself.

Maybe if anyone’s up for it MLD could take us kayaking later? That would be great fun! x