Notices

Heading to the beach? Weekenders - 20-23 November 2020

Old 11-19-2020, 05:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm in for another sober weekend.

Day 33 today. Feeling good.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 33 days Phil. It will be 5 weeks on Saturday.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
<snip>

My AV has become very active. I keep finding myself looking at alcohol, checking strength and price. Basically fantasizing. I know that if I do pick up I won't be putting down anytime soon, if ever. I'm not craving a couple of glasses of wine, more like a case of Vodka.

My mood is fluctuating all over the place and I just want some peace. This too shall pass (I hope).
Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
Kaily the AV is a liar, there’s nothing good that comes from drinking. Nothing. I wish I had shut mine down before it got the better of me. It’s so hard resisting it once it’s snuck it’s foot in the door again. I’ve been feeling crap and sick and tired all week and the AV is screaming for a drink, but it’s the *insert favorite expletive* AV that made me feel so awful in the first place! Please don’t give into it, it just wants to drown us and it makes is feel like utter crap in the process.

I’ve made it through work on day 4 and I just want to go to bed. But it’s only 3.15pm lol.
So I’m going home to have a shower, make something simple for dinner and relax on the couch with a book.
Then go to bed.
Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Willow, Congratulations on day 4 love, before the av creeps in again come here and shout HELP! Anywhere on Sr there’ll be someone to help you love. xx It could be a sober tool - av = getting help fast from SR members.
I brought this over from the last thread because it so simply illustrates A Solution.

I am not sure if people really understand the term AV in this context, but no matter, there are tons of explanatory threads in the Secular Abstinence Based Recovery section.

Any thought of drinking in the future is AV and therefore is not you. YOU don't drink. IT will never stop nagging so finding a way to shut it down within seconds is the key. Don't let it get a foothold ever.

I didn't fight with it for very long. I recognized early on that I was just going to have thoughts of drinking for maybe forever. If that is true then I just live with the little demon. It's practically lost its voice now, but I think it will likely always be there.

(Emotional Memory Management)Anxiety Sticky thread again, because it's really good.

There aren't 10,000 gifs about it for nothin'

Old 11-19-2020, 08:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Magsie

Nice one Phil, 33 days, brill.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

This will my tenth weekend sober. Wow, time really has flown even though I've been battling AV.

I want to make this weekend count. I'm going to try and drag myself out of my depressed funk. I don't want another weekdn lying in bed vaping drinking copious amounts of pepsi max. First thing I should probably do is clean my room and get a shower;
Old 11-19-2020, 08:27 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you, Mags, for a beautiful opening post on another great thread.

Ready to sail and enjoy another Sober Weekend.

Love to all.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:31 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
I believe in miracles :)

My third sober we to come. Craving +++
Old 11-19-2020, 08:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome, Velvetee; stay strong; we are here for you.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:39 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
I believe in miracles :)

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Welcome, Velvetee; stay strong; we are here for you.
Thanks. Struggling
Old 11-19-2020, 08:41 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Have you tried deep breathing techniques? How about a long walk?

Old 11-19-2020, 08:51 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey Troopz ~

Thanks, Mags.

Just started a solo stretch in *my* lil corner of the Arizona Desert all comfy in the the Solar-powered RV Trailer. South of Utah. North of Nevada. As predicted, it was stupidly windy yesterday, so I can finally get out to hike and drive around today. Lots of interesting Rocks to pick up and examine, so I'll find one Keeper for this Trip.

The Pic isn't mine, but it could be. I'm pulled back a bit from the edge of the crumbling Cliffs overlooking the Virgin River seen below. Lots of River. Not so many... oh, never mind. So, I'm in on the Water Theme this Weekender, but no Sea Salt to speak of. Nice temps in the 70s F [24 C], and fabulous Dark Skies.

My AV has long been battered into submission and irrelevance these Days, so that's a nice stasis to have achieved over the Years. Especially as I muck with heavy Trailer Hitch loads, and Safety Chains that could maim if handled indifferently. A Thai Restaurant in nearby Mesquite Nevada gets rave Reviews, so a safe Take-Away Lunch from there will be a nice respite from my Bachelor Cooking.

~50 Years ago, Elton John turned out some nice Songs about the American West that make for germane listening here...

'Ballad Of A Well-Known Gun' ~ Elton John

Old 11-19-2020, 08:55 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

MesaMan, simply gorgeous. Soak in the beauty.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in! I would LOVE a beach and some snorkeling or diving right about now! Good food, good company, warm sun... all sounds really lovely.

I have just come from a hospital in a town maybe 25 miles from here - had to have a "closer look" mammogram to follow up on something that looked funny last week when I had my regular scan done. All is well, happy to report. This happens to me over half the time, so I don't worry a lot, but it's always concerning.

Beautiful day here, unseasonably warm. I wish I had the rest of the day off to go hiking, but I do not.

Welcome, Velvetee. We all struggled at the beginning - you are in good company. Stick around and we can help.
FreedomFries - Get yourself out of bed and get that shower! You'll feel better. You are doing great with the sobriety!
Manta, Willow - you got this, too.
To everyone struggling - we hear you and we can all get through this!
Old 11-19-2020, 09:15 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

So glad that all is well, MLD.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:29 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Thanks Mags.

I fancy a ride on the beach.

my dream right here. Would love to go riding on the beach!!!!
Old 11-19-2020, 09:31 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Samantha

Trying my best to stay sober. I was forced to take holidays from work so the next couple months I really only work a couple weeks I have nothing to keep me busy as we are on lockdown. I don't like TV much and I can only workout and paint so much. It's cold here so no garden or anything outdoors that would be nice lol.
basically I've just been eating.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:43 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Velvetee, good to see you. the cravings will pass, having a plan, ‘sober tools’ to reach for when you have cravings will help.

Hi MesaMan, hows MesaPup doing? All good I hope. Beautiful view you have there.

Marty, pleased all was ok with your mammogram.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:53 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
saoutchik

IN!

Welcome Velveteen. It is tough to begin with but hang in there, it does get easier.

Congratulations on your respective milestones Devizes, Phil.

Fantastic spot MesaMan, it even includes a sort of beach doesn't it.

A beach would be really something, anything would be better than the dreary monotony of Lockdown London in November.

https://youtu.be/xdi_yuSgQw8

Old 11-19-2020, 09:57 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Samantha, can you write a journal. Write your feelings down. Sometimes getting them out can help. It can be difficult being on lockdown. Perhaps a rota for yourself, something to help keep you focused.
I remember when I was first sober I did everything the same as when I drank but without a drink in my hand. I had to re-jig my thinking to go on the recovery road.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:01 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sao, always feel for Amy Winehouse, with lots of what ifs for her. Such a sad loss.