Notices

Sober Weekenders - Weekenders 13-16 November 2020

Old 11-14-2020, 04:17 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Wait! What? Mermaids aren’t real?

Old 11-14-2020, 05:41 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

We have a local sasquatch, or sasquatch-like creature, as well. It's said to wander the woods near a small community about 50 miles from me. I used to do a lot of work over there and can't say that I had any encounters personally. They say that there are few similarities in the reports of those who have seen it, but I suspect that moon shine is one of those. It goes by Booger and was even reported to have considered a bid for presidency.

https://www.jacksonville.com/2016-05...-bardin-booger
Old 11-14-2020, 07:49 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

^^^^^^^. Yikes.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:01 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Good to see you NorthernLady

CityBoy the Japanese horrors have me covering my eyes whilst watching.

Mermaids? We have many over here, they’re big pals with the unicorns.

Bim, I hope the eagles have success this year.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:09 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

We have no monsters lurking in our woods, excluding the odd dodgy character.

Robbie I now have lawn envy. Mine is rabidly turning into a muddy mess.

Mags, I was surprised to read you are back on shielding, I thought they were letting people make their own minds up about it this time. Is your area particularly bad? At least it is winter, nowhere to go anyway.

Bim I did think you should of warned about the missing pieces when posting that jigsaw link!

Yesterday I struggled big time, I am waking up far too early and the days are dark and long. I walked the dogs for a couple of hours in the pouring rain, we came home like drowned rats. Not enjoyable. I won't lie I kept think of drinking, I wanted to lose the day or more like the winter. Today I gotta do it all again. I end up pacing the house like a caged animal. Nothing to do with lockdown as I would be home alone anyway. Depression is arriving again.

Just getting it out there for some accountability. I actually picked a bottle of something to look at the alcohol strength whilst waiting in a queue the other day. It was only 11% so not worth drinking. All dangerous actions and thoughts.

Was going to post a pic but postimage site is down.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:45 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders, Kaily i'm sorry you are struggling, the time of year does not help. At least you are able to recognise your incipient depression for what it is. Usually a walk would be a mood lifter, it is for me, but as you say in this weather it is not enjoyable. I'm glad you have Alfie and Candy (is she still Candy?) with you for affection and distraction. You have friends who wish you well on this thread so keep posting. You are too smart to fall for the phoney promises of temporary release that alcohol gives, it has nothing to offer except making things much worse.

The weather is AWFUL this morning, heavy rain and strong winds. It can only get better from here.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:56 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Thank you Sao. I keep clock watching and it is not even 8am yet.

Her name this week is Daisy. She looked like a wet rat on a lead when we got home yesterday.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:05 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, oh yes, sorry you had a rough time yesterday. I’m glad you stayed sober through it. Difficult time of year with short days and long nights.
Oh, I remember you calling her Daisy, for now.
About the shielding, I received an email around two weeks ago saying stay home as much as possible but ok to go for walks and medical appointments. The letter from yesterday says I’m advised to follow shielding guidance, (but not as harsh as last time).

Saou, miserable weather here today,
Old 11-15-2020, 01:08 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders, it's Sunday!

Kaily, avoiding a winter muddy mess is why I wanted my lawn cut as quick as possible. One year I didn't cut the grass after August and we then had a wet winter. The lawn turned into a muddy mess which looked awful and I don't think it really recovered until the following summer. I hope you feel a bit better today. That feeling of being stuck indoors with a long day ahead isn't a good feeling. Hopefully the weather is better at some point today so you can get out for a rain-free walk.

Mags, my mum got an email from the Government about shielding as she's in the clinically extrememly vulnerable people group. She loved it (not!) when I told her she had been advised in the email to not go to the shops! The email also advised her to either work from home or if that isn't possible to not go to work. As she's in her 80s I think she's safe on that one... all she does is go to the Post Office on a Monday to get her pension (she still doesn't know how to use a cash machine!), pay her bills and get her weekly shop so I just advised her to try and keep her distance from other people. She said she'd go crazy if she had to stay indoors 24x7, day in, day out, week in, week out.

It's breakfast time for me then I'm off to my mum's (socially distancing from each other of course!) to put up a pair of curtains for her. I could have waited until next week to do it but it gets me out of the house and walking and gives me something to do rather than sitting around thinking of what to do next which isn't good for me.

Old 11-15-2020, 01:28 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Day 11. Watching every episode of An Idiot Abroad from the beginning to pass the time. I can't sleep at night.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:40 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I'm normally on top of my lawn. In summer I mow it twice a week. It has just been so mild that it keeps growing and it keeps raining so never dries out enough.

My Dad is clinically vulnerable and was put on the shielding in March, even given food parcels, but not this time. Unless he is not telling me the truth about not having a letter .... I guess even if he did he wouldn't comply anyway. Stubborn!
Old 11-15-2020, 01:45 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hello relena. I've not heard of An Idiot Abroad and checked it up. Assuming it's the Rick Gervais programme then it dates back to 2010-12 which shows how much notice I take of what's on TV. Unless it's football (soccer), old music programmes or repeats of police dramas such as The Sweeney or The Bill I only watch TV for the news.

Hopefully as time passes your sleeping pattern will improve. If you aren't sleeping at night then are you sleeping during the day or just falling asleep for short periods spread throughout the day?
Old 11-15-2020, 01:50 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
I'm normally on top of my lawn. In summer I mow it twice a week. It has just been so mild that it keeps growing and it keeps raining so never dries out enough.

My Dad is clinically vulnerable and was put on the shielding in March, even given food parcels, but not this time. Unless he is not telling me the truth about not having a letter .... I guess even if he did he wouldn't comply anyway. Stubborn!
He might not have got a letter. My mum got an email but that's only because I'd registered her email address back in March. She doesn't have a computer so I check all her emails for her. It's possible your dad might get a call from the local council if he's not registered an email address with the Department Of Health and Social Care. There's no food parcels this time, at least not on a national basis. My mum was getting them last time but decided to get them stopped as she was getting pretty much the same items each week and some weren't getting used. I think she ended up with so many tins of soup that she ran out of cupboard space in which to store them!
Old 11-15-2020, 01:54 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Kaily - these are the three main things in the email that will apply to older people (I don't know how old your dad is, if he's still of working age then there's other advice)

Guidance for clinically extremely vulnerable people

This guidance is for everyone in England who has been identified as clinically extremely vulnerable.

Travel

You should avoid all non-essential travel by private or public transport, this includes not travelling to work, school or the shops. You should still travel to hospital and GP appointments unless told otherwise by your doctor. If you need help to travel to an appointment, you can speak to your health care professional to arrange transport support. They can arrange this with NHS Volunteer Responders.

Shopping

You are advised not to go to the shops. Use online shopping if you can, or ask others to collect and deliver shopping for you (friends, family, or a volunteer, including NHS Volunteer Responders). If you already have a priority delivery slot with a supermarket that will continue, you do not need to do anything frther.

If you cannot access food, your local council can offer support. This may include helping you to request a priority supermarket delivery slot (if you do not already have one) or help with shopping. See below for details on how to register for support.

Medicines

You are advised not to go to a pharmacy.

You are encouraged in the first instance to ask a friend, family member, carer or a volunteer (for example one of the NHS Volunteer Responders) to collect your medicines for you. If none of these are available, then you will be eligible for free medicines delivery. Please contact your pharmacy to inform them that you are clinically extremely vulnerable and need your medicines delivered, and they will arrange this free of charge.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:44 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Thanks Robbie. He loved the food parcels because he likes anything free. He has cupboards full of soup, pasta and toilet rolls!

He goes out to the shops on the bus. Obviously I have offered to either take him or get the shopping for him but he only accepts very occasionally.

He is 85 has COPD, heart failure and has a defibrillator and a pacemaker fitted. What can you do?

He doesn't have an email address.

Sounds like you look after your Mum very well. That is lovely, you are a good son.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:09 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hard times. Just watch my kitten and old dog playfully bat each other about and listen to music. Maybe Big Foot will visit, but he's probably staying away too.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:04 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hope you're doing ok, Relena, and that sleep returns soon

Halfway through the weekend and feeling good here. Day 22!!!

Hope all Weekenders are doing well
Old 11-15-2020, 05:45 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Yay, Devizes!!

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Bim I did think you should of warned about the missing pieces when posting that jigsaw link!
Kaily, I posted a different site after that debacle. Plus, the other site used Flash and I have uninstalled Flash already. They're stopping it.

I used to get serious debilitating winter depression. I don't know if I've posted this in Weekenders before but Vitamin D was a game/life-changer for me for that. Once I started taking it I was much more able to keep on a level keel in winter (well, all the time.) HUGE change. It's inexpensive and it's not one of those vitamins that you can over-do. Doctors in the area are now recommending it to everyone in this rainy, cloudy, northern part of the country.

It's also been linked to a less serious disease process with Covid. Worth a try.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...evere-covid-19

Mags, I watched the chat yesterday about the Florida eagles. They are always a surprise and everyone has an opinion.

I also saw the adult eagle soaring along the ridge over the local nest yesterday on my walk. I watched it for maybe five minutes, and it never had to flap its wings. Beautiful. I want to come back as an eagle. I think they must lay their eggs around January. I'm going to watch them this year! I just found the nest since the lockdown.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Yay the rain stopped and I went out for a hike. 2 hours of sunshine then the heavens opened, we were half an hour away from the car so got drowned again. It was worth it though.

I take vitamin D everyday. I have done for about the last 5 years when I was found to be deficient after a blood test. Maybe I should take 2 instead of 1.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:44 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

A quick

Hope everyone finds a blessing in this day.