Notices

Sober Weekenders - Weekenders 13-16 November 2020

Old 11-16-2020, 07:59 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Monday again.
Had a pretty nice weekend, went to an outdoors women's AA meeting on Saturday morning. We built a fire in the fire pit at the club house. It was really nice, even though only 4 of us were there. It's the first meeting I have been to since the "beforetimes." There have been zoom meetings but I have not participated yet. I may start doing that, too. We will meet outside like that whenever the weather permits.

Yesterday I hung out with my man friend watched football and made food. I'm lucky to have a good friend like him to hang out with in person.

Today is a big day: I ordered a new mattress 10 days ago and it's being delivered today! I am happy, because I have been sleeping on the same Sleep Number bed for almost 20 years. I used to love it but I think i need different support now that I'm older. Fingers crossed that this bed works for me. I ordered it online without trying it first... did a ton of research, though, and it sounds like it's worth taking a chance on. I read the reviews and it sounds like they are good about their guarantee and if it does not work out they are good about returns and refunds.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:59 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 days, PHIL!!
Old 11-16-2020, 08:07 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

And congratulations to DEVIZES on 23 days!
Old 11-16-2020, 08:38 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Today is a big day: I ordered a new mattress 10 days ago and it's being delivered today! I am happy, because I have been sleeping on the same Sleep Number bed for almost 20 years. I used to love it but I think i need different support now that I'm older. Fingers crossed that this bed works for me. I ordered it online without trying it first... did a ton of research, though, and it sounds like it's worth taking a chance on. I read the reviews and it sounds like they are good about their guarantee and if it does not work out they are good about returns and refunds.
We got a mattress online this year and we love it ❤ If we had been able to test it first, we wouldn't have bought it because my husband would have said it was too firm but he loves it just as much as I do! I'm sure yours will be fine xxxxx
Old 11-16-2020, 09:06 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

MLD and Devizes, we bought xtra long twin mattresses for our guest bedroom, online. Everyone loves them. One couple bought a king size of the exact same mattress when they returned home.

Well done, Devizes and Phil

Another Sober Weekend under our belts - not too shabby not too shabby at all.

Happy Monday, all.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:25 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Almost forgot. Bim, I watched a documentary on the Kings Templar on the History Channel last night. It was very interesting. You may have already watched it but, if you haven’t, you might find it worth your time.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:54 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

The firepit AA meeting with 4 people sounds nice
Old 11-16-2020, 11:53 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations Devizes, Phil on 23 and 30 days respectively. I actually passed quite close to the town of Devizes today on my way to and from a place called Yeovil. Quite a long way for a Londoner, especially one on Lockdown (I had a letter of exemption.)

Good luck to your mum's new pup Manta!

Tom Kerridge is definitely one of us, I remember reading he had quit some time back but I cannot remember how long.

I saw a street named after a Weekender while I was out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20201116_195239.jpg (21.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 11-16-2020, 12:32 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Congratulations Devizes, Phil on 23 and 30 days respectively. I actually passed quite close to the town of Devizes today on my way to and from a place called Yeovil. Quite a long way for a Londoner, especially one on Lockdown (I had a letter of exemption.)
Hi saoutchik

I don't live near Devizes, I've just always thought it was a beautiful name! I think it's the d,v and z which make it sound deep and rural with rolling hills!!! 🙂
Old 11-16-2020, 02:14 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Devizes s an unusual and interesting name. I am not familiar with the area but it seems very picturesque there. I would have liked to have seen a bit more but I was under time constraints and I was in our company's VW Amarok which is a hefty pickup truck - no fun on country lanes.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:31 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Nice spotting on the road sign, Sao. Thanks for that!!

The Caen Hill Locks look really cool near Devizes. There are some awesome images attached on Google maps.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:40 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay with us Kaily - there are absolutely no answers back the way we came.
Congrats on your milestones Phil and Devizes

D
Old 11-16-2020, 04:31 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Hope everyone had or is having a great day.

Congrats to all, especially the newer people who are just beginning to see life without the alcohol.

I'm quite proud of this picture. Doing some work this week in a scrub jay preserve. The work we are doing is designed to improve the habitat for the scrub jays, and apparently they approve of what we are doing. The scrub jays are considered special in birding circles. I've seen them before, but not so close. The ones today in the preserve were very sure of themselves.

https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/p...ida-scrub-jay/

Old 11-16-2020, 04:47 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

What a beautiful bird, Cityboy!
Old 11-16-2020, 05:19 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, almost forgot. What does a Florida scrub jay picture have to do with recovery from alcohol addiction? I've done a lot or work in this area through most of my career. It's about a 2 hour drive and I often stay at a hotel. Until 10 months ago, there would have been a near 100% chance that I would have been stumbling drunk in my hotel room instead of sitting here stone sober, posting pictures of a cool threatened species, and about to read a book.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:13 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Apologies Phil for my spelling of your name in an earlier post. I can’t blame predictive text..it was me.

CityBoy, wow, Mr. scrub jay is gorgeous. He looks comfortable in his surroundings. Sobriety gives us freedom to live again. And post beautiful pics of nature.

Saou I hope your work trip went well.

Full of cold at moment. Drinking plenty of hot lemonade with slices of lemon and plenty of honey. Seems to help.

Take care, see you later.xx
Old 11-16-2020, 08:22 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Sweet Mags, do you mean that you are physical cold/chilly or that you have a respiratory cold? Really praying that you are well.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:23 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

CityBoy, what a fantastic photo of a beautiful bird. Good job, there!
Old 11-16-2020, 09:15 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks Leigh, it’s a proper cold with sore throat and sneezing, I’ve had the cough but that’s gone now.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:18 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Magsie

Guess what day it is today?

IT’S Tue Nov 17th, 2020

Homemade Bread Day