Notices

Sober Weekenders - Weekenders 13-16 November 2020

Old 11-11-2020, 11:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sober Weekenders - Weekenders 13-16 November 2020

Welcome to the Weekenders.

Weekends can be difficult when trying to stay sober, so we get together and support each other and talk about a range of topics.

If you’re new to Weekenders and it’s your first sober weekend, firstly, you’re doing great for making this decision.

Secondly, you’ve realised you can’t ‘control’ your alcohol intake.....but want to...”you seriously want to stop”.

When I first realised this, I dismissed it...I was ok (denial!) and thought I knew when to stop....

Yeah, it was usually when I’d passed out, or as I liked to call it, fell asleep.

I couldn’t bear the thought of life without alcohol, the future looked so bleak without it....How wrong I was!

If you’re thinking along those thoughts, there is a way past it.

There’s so much more life, without the booze.

‘Sobriety Delivers Everything That Alcohol Promised’

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)

Old 11-11-2020, 11:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you CaptainHaddock, I have had some minor flooring issues myself recently.

I hope the tornado threat has passed Leigh.

Robbie I am glad the funeral service went well and even more pleased that you were a sober person for both the service itself and the organisation of it. Most satisfactory.

I hope the dreams don't last PhoenixJ, they can be unsettling.

I can see several police vehicles a few hundred metres/yards away that have been there since before I woke up this morning. I'm thinking it is probably some sort of drugs raid.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey! I'm the first. YAY!!!!

In for my THIRD weekend bulimia-free!!!
Old 11-11-2020, 11:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Devizes congratulations on your 3rd weekend bulimia free.
Shotgun too yeah?
Old 11-12-2020, 12:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I relapsed last Tuesday-Wednesday so this is day 8 for me again for god knows how many times. I don't remember the last time my mind was in this dark of a place. I don't want to be around anyone, including my own daughter. Makes me feel like the scum of the earth. No progress to report yet again, except that I haven't had any alcohol.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Mags - congrats Devizes and Relena - hi Kaily, Sao

D
Old 11-12-2020, 01:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi relena, Day 8 is great! I do know alcohol never did anything for my self esteem or mental well-being. Having a plan can help keep focused on our sobriety. Stay close, lots of great support on SR.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, I love the gif,
Old 11-12-2020, 01:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by relena View Post
I relapsed last Tuesday-Wednesday so this is day 8 for me again for god knows how many times. I don't remember the last time my mind was in this dark of a place. I don't want to be around anyone, including my own daughter. Makes me feel like the scum of the earth. No progress to report yet again, except that I haven't had any alcohol.
8 days is fantastic progress, Relena. I know that, for me, it gets harder and harder to bounce back after each slip.

With every sober hour that passes, the darkness will lift a little
Old 11-12-2020, 01:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Mags and Hello to all :wavey.

I'm powerless in front of alcohol, it kicked my butt all the way along to my mid forties.
Lots of regrets but so happy to be sober today.

This moved me to bits, had to listen to 23 mins (thx u tube for suggesting)

https://youtu.be/n6oSeODGmoQ

Old 11-12-2020, 02:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mags,
Thanks for another weekender!
I hope everyone is doing well!
Cool gif, Kaily

Old 11-12-2020, 05:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Looking forward to another sober weekend.

Saou, nothing like a bit of neighborhood drama to start the day.

SoberLeigh, hope you all had little or no damage. My buddy said that they had to close the causeway to Clearwater due to flooding and debris. It appears that a power outage will be the worst of it for us, but the eye will be passing through the area soon.

Hope everyone has a great sober and hangover free day.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!
Relena, I know that feeling of not wanting to be around anyone, and feeling like scum. Before I quit for good and for sometime after I quit, I was so full of shame. The good news is, you'll never have to feel that way again if you don't drink. Yes, you might have bad days, and things will be rough for a while, but it will get better, promise. There's no magic wand to wave, but if you work hard and have a plan to stay sober, time will heal things. You can do it!

Covid continues to be a real problem at my work. I have been mostly working from home, which I will continue to do. We keep having students and staff test positive in our department. Not a lot of them, but enough that being there makes me a little nervous. I try to keep to myself as much as possible when I'm there, and that has worked so far. It's all very depressing.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
saoutchik

IN!

Thank you for the new thread Mags, you're right too. To the drinker life without any drink at all seems unimaginable until you have a couple of months without booze and then slowly your mind takes a different view and you wonder why you kept drinking for so long.

Btw I realise it's a bit late to be saying "In" as I have already posted but my post was intended for last week's thread. I cannot for the life of me work out how that happened as I remember scrolling through the old thread prior to posttog. Ghosts in the Machine!

Welcome to Weekenders relena! 8 days is really good.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Getting harder to bounce back after you slip - that is an understatement for me. I've known a lot of fear in my life, but none like this. Fear is my new motivation.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Fear is a good motivator in early days, relena. The first few weeks for me were full of the body-feeling of fear. Increased heartrate, easily spooked, unable to handle even simple human interactions. Exercise helps that a lot.

It gets so much easier. Just keep going.

I treated myself like I was recovering from a life-threatening illness - because I was. Be kind to yourself; guilt and shame are part of the addiction cycle and really have no place in a healthy mind.

Devizes, well done you.

Poor kitties.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome, relena. It is really great to have you with us.

Fear. I hear you. At the end of my drinking ‘career’, I was very fearful of what was ahead of me in life if I continued to drink. Choosing sobriety was among the very best decisions of my life; I hope that you find your decision to be the same.

You will bounce back and we are with you all the way.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Vman; thank you, very beautiful and moving, indeed.

CityBoy, all is well in Leighville. Local coastal flooding and some minor wind damage. Hope all goes well in your area.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi guys, I'm on day 3 (again). I am going to stick close to SR and hang out with you this weekend. ❤