Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

A Wonderful place for the weekend - Weekenders 25 - 28 September 2020

Notices

A Wonderful place for the weekend - Weekenders 25 - 28 September 2020

Old 09-30-2020, 06:58 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

My sister fell through the garage ceiling a couple of years ago at mom and dad's house getting Christmas stuff out of the attic. Thank goodness she was not injured. That ended my going into the attic retrieving Christmas boxes and going up the ladder putting up lights and stuff.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:05 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

See? Christmas is dangerous, depressing and expensive.

My Christmas decorations have shrunk to a two foot tall tree that sometimes gets put up but more often it just doesn't. Boxes and boxes of stuff I really could just throw out. Hm. Maybe I'll add that to my To Do List.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:59 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I don't HATE Christmas, exactly, I'm just kind of meh. My mom worked really hard when I was little to make Christmas special, and I did my best for my kids, too. And now I have a grandchild to think about. I have a really nice fake tree, and I do put it up. I do not always get around putting ornaments on it, but I find the lights pretty and cheerful. I have a TON of decorations for the tree, and other decor that hasn't seen the light of day in a long time. I stopped decorating outside years ago. I MIGHT get a simple pine wreath and put it on the door, but that's it. I used to put up lights around the door and a small fake tree with lights on the front porch. But if it were not for the kids, I'd probably do nothing.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:01 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done Willow and BigShoe for seeing off those booze thoughts, it only offers the Fool's Gold of brief oblivion followed by a painful return.

I like Christmas decorations as long as they go up at the beginning of December and come down shortly after New Years Day. People put them up so early that they have lost their appeal before Christmas week.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:32 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

I don’t hate Christmas at all but I am not fond of the often excessive secularization that comes with it. With so many people truly suffering due to the myriad of COVID related issues, it just seems ‘over the top’ this year.

It seems that ‘reaching out’ to fill a need would be a nice way to ease some pain this year.

Okay, stepping down from my soap box.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:33 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Willow has 100 days!

Love to all.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:08 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Leigh, I think for Christmas this year I will donate a chunk of money to a local charity here that helps a lot of people right in my town. I'll still get gifts for people in my family, but at the same time I'd like to help someone else have a more cheerful holiday season. I donate to this charity on a regular basis already, but I'll do more. I love that idea.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:08 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Hooray for WILLOW!!!
Old 09-30-2020, 12:24 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

I suppose the old magic feeling that came with Christmas as a kid is lost. I remember looking forward to decorating the tree and watching the traditional Christmas shows like Charley Brown, Grinch, and Rudolph. The anticipation of opening presents Christmas morning, then going to grandparents for lunch with all the family that nearly all lived close by, and then going back home again. Now it's the anxiety of how much is appropriate to spend and what to get for those you are suppose to get presents for. Many have now agreed to forego the presents, but some get them anyway and then you feel guilty. You are suppose to travel all over creation and spend days with family, or they come into your home for a spell. Most of our family pictures at Christmas time feature me with a hangover look. Many things are now different since I'm not always drinking or sick. Hopefully Christmas will be the same.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:39 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Thanks
Day 100 and I will not drink today.
My last day 100 was when my Mum passed away, so the lead up to this day 100 has been very emotionally challenging. But I know Mum is with me and I can hear her wise words clearly in my mind, and I can see her beautiful wise and loving eyes watching me with encouragement and love ❤️
This is the second time I have gotten to day 100. Last time I managed over a year sober. I stayed sober through Mum’s passing, but drank when we scattered her ashes a year later. Then I spent the best part of another year trying unsuccessfully to stay sober. This time I’m staying sober.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:16 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

well done Willow
Old 09-30-2020, 04:22 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Thanks PJ
I hope you have a good day
Old 09-30-2020, 11:00 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders 🌄 another weekend approaching. The start of a new month is as good a time as any to quit. In normal years there is a thing here called Stoptober where people are encouraged to give up drinking or smoking for the month. It was when I failed miserably that I knew I had to do something drastic.

Good idea about donating MLD, I understand charities are having a hard time (here at least)

Congratulations on 100 days Willow! Three figures is great.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:09 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  
Mr

Well done WILLOW

Old 09-30-2020, 11:12 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Congratulations on 100 days Willow

Nice one Marty!

I’m not a misery, but I can take or leave Christmas. I used to love it mainly for the time off from work but now I don’t work, it’s good.

New thread here soon.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:54 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Magsie

New thread begins

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...eekenders.html (Round to it this weekend? - 02-05 October 2020 Weekenders)
Old 10-02-2020, 02:29 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Struggling with COVID restrictions in the uk. Upset by trump but we can’t talk politics. Not doing great x