Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

A Wonderful place for the weekend - Weekenders 25 - 28 September 2020

Notices

A Wonderful place for the weekend - Weekenders 25 - 28 September 2020

Old 09-27-2020, 11:21 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders,

CityBoy, gorgeous ‘Alfie’ pup. He looks ready for action.

Bim, your Sunday sounds idyllic. Brie cheese. Mmmmm. My favourite cheese.

Kaily, Alfie a terrorist when he was a pup! Noooo, he looks so angelic...butter wouldn’t melt. I used to walk a Jack Russell (for Cinammon charity) and could he run! He was chasing squirrels in the park once and totally ignored me. Took me over an hour for him to slow down enough to catch him.

See you later. Keep safe. xx
Old 09-28-2020, 12:42 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Can't believe it's already the 28th of September. The year has flown by. Of course you miss time when you're blackout drunk.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:00 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Mr

Now thats just cheating :

Old 09-28-2020, 04:39 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Erica375

Two laughs already this morning; thank you FF and Vman!

7:30 in the morning, watching the news and they're saying today is "National Drink Beer Day." 😲 Ummm... I think not. I have coffee with cinnamon in it.

On the plus side, I just saw a commercial for a "smile mask." It's a face mask with a clear plastic shield over the mouth instead of cloth. If it works as well as a regular mask, it's ingenious. I've heard that people with hearing loss who depend on lip reading are having a tough time now.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:44 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Happy Monday!
I had a pretty busy weekend. We did not get the kayaks out, because my man friend came over with his chainsaw and helped me trim some trees and haul the brush on Saturday instead. Not fun, but needed to be done. Then yesterday he went golfing with his BIL and another friend, so I went to Costco and spent a bunch of money stocking up to fill our freezers and make sure we have toilet roll in case things get bad and people start hoarding again. We had lunch after the golf and shopping on an outdoor patio, and that was really nice. Winter is approaching fast, so we are trying to get a little bit of eating out done while we still can. I am not going to go sit inside in a restaurant right now. Our Covid numbers are almost alarming here in my state and town right now.

I'm working from home today, because I can, and things are a little scary on campus with Covid right now. I have not been notified that I've come in contact with anyone who has tested positive, and I would like to avoid that. We have these QR codes on the walls of pretty much every room (not bathrooms) and we scan them with our phones if we are spending more than a couple of minutes in any given place. It's not perfect - there have been some mistakes in the contact tracing, but they are trying.

Mondays with no hangover or regrets... one of my very favorite things about sobriety.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:53 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Gosh MLD, that sounds intense.

That puppy is so cute and I would not have him in my life for all the tea in China (old grandma saying.)

Remember Olive who used to be in Weekenders? She had a Border Collie who died and she went out right away and bought a BC puppy and the last I heard she was in the, "What was I thinking?" camp.

I have to go to the grocery this morning and I'm not all that excited about it, but I have to eat.

It's beautiful here. Crystal blue skies. Leaves starting to turn. Stay safe everyone. Wash your hands.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:27 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Greetings, Weekenders.

CityBoy, your friend’s new puppy looks adorable.

Kaily, it is hard to imagine Allie as a little terrorist but the thought did make me chuckle; I can definitely imagine him as fun loving and spirited (well, I guess it all boils down to perspective ).

Bim, my mother in law had a border collie and, while she would never place blame on her much loved dog, she was, no doubt about it, involved to a great degree in my MIL’s broken hip and, in another incident, her broken arm.

My back is still very painful; doing exercises prescribed by my doctor. Initially, the only time that I wasn’t in pain was while walking. I am now able to sit for short periods of time if my right leg is bent/folded firmly against my torso with my knee under my chin. Sleep is extremely difficult. Well, this too will pass.

Have a good Monday, all.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:40 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
saoutchik

What a handsome pup Cityboy!

Erica, that never occurred to me, it must be very tough for deaf people right now.

Thanks for that video Vman, it made me laugh and they're in short supply right now. I have been wearing my mask since 1977.

Attached Images
Old 09-28-2020, 11:19 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Magsie

Leigh, sorry to hear you’ve got pain in your legs still. Must be difficult sleeping.

Erica, I’d forgotten the masks would hinder lip readers. I saw the see through mouth masks and thought weird but on second thoughts they’re pretty good.

Vinny, to video.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:09 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

I had a border collie many moons ago, he was so lovely and extremely clever. Then I had 3 JR's all at the same time. Chaos doesn't even begin to describe some of our adventures.

Leigh do you use heat on your back? I sit with a hot water bottle on mine, it helps a bit.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:23 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Kaily, I am definitely using heat, both the heating pad and Bio-freezes the heat is soothing and it is helping, too, I think. My doc (and Mags, you guessed correctly) thinks that it is sciatica and should resolve in six weeks; if not, we will explore other possibilities. I have scoliosis, too, which doesn’t help matters.

How is your back doing?
Old 09-28-2020, 12:37 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Some days are better than others with mine. It has been bad since November last year.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:38 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Evening Weekenders.

Thursday being a public holiday, we made a quick decision to spend a rustic long weekend in the bush. No Internet meant I could only catch up with the thread and all the great posts this morning. Even though I could not switch off completely, the time spent in nature helped soothe the stress and worries of the daily grind.

There were a few nice photo opportunities. Even if I’m not skilled enough to have made the most of them, I hope you won’t mind if I share just a few.

This one shows the type of thorn trees that are prevalent in the area.

Lots of waterways make for fascinating bird life, such as these egrets boasting breading plumage.

A warthog making a hasty escape.

Photogenic as always, an inquisitive giraffe.

And lastly, the obligatory Corgi photo. Knowing the owners of the farm meant that Truffle needn’t have worried about having to stay at home.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:42 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Oh, my gosh, Captain. Those images are Fantastic! Did the giraffe just come right up to you??

Wow. Thank you so much for sharing. <~~ Socially distanced hug, of course.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:46 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Beautiful pictures Captain. What an amazing weekend that must of been.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:12 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Some days are better than others with mine. It has been bad since November last year.

That is a long time, Kaily. I am really sad to hear this.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:14 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

What fabulous photos, Captain. You must have a wonderful time!
Old 09-28-2020, 02:11 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Captain, those photos are truly gorgeous ❤️
Thank you for sharing. I was just talking with my sister about travels and adventures we are dreaming about once we’re allowed to travel again....
Old 09-28-2020, 02:14 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you Captain. Excellent photos, especially the giraffe. Truffle looks like he is enjoying himself.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:15 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

The same day that Bim introduced us to the Netflix documentary “My Octopus Teacher”, a friend told me about the book “The Soul of an Octopus” by Sy Montgomery and I ordered it. Having found the documentary so beautiful and compelling, I couldn’t wait for the book to arrive. I started reading it a few days ago, sometimes while pacing floors to keep my back pain at bay. The book is lovely and captivating. Here is an excerpt from the book based upon the author’s recount of her first interaction with an octopus, one named Athena, who lived at the New England Aquarium:

”There was so much of her, everywhere. I could not keep track of her gelatinous body and its eight floaty, rubbery arms. I could not keep track of her continually changing color, shape or texture. One moment, she’d be bright red and bumpy, and the next, she’d be smoother and veined with dark brown or white. Patches on different parts of her body would change color so fast - in less than a second - that by the time I registered the last change, she would be onto another. To borrow a phrase from songwriter John Denver, she filled up my senses.”