Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

A Wonderful place for the weekend - Weekenders 25 - 28 September 2020

Notices

Old 09-24-2020, 12:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

to the Weekenders

Where’s this wonderful place this weekend?

What do we need to make a place wonderful?

I used to think it was in a bottle. Everything was wonderful with a bottle. Until it wasn’t and then there didn’t seem enough bottles to make it wonderful anymore.

Being sober, I realise a wonderful place starts with me, inside me.

I read a post on SR from Ann (thank you )about our mind and where we chose to be. I could relate to it.

‘In my mind are many dwellings. Each of the dwellings we create ourselves – the house of anger, the house of despair, the house of self pity, the house of indifference, the house of negative, the house of positive, the house of hope, the house of joy, the house of peace, the house of enthusiasm, the house of cooperation, the house of giving. Each of these houses we visit each day. We can stay in any house for as long as we want. We can leave these mental houses any time we wish.

We create the dwelling, we stay in the dwelling, we leave the dwelling whenever we wish. We can create new rooms, new houses. Whenever we enter these dwellings, this becomes our world until we leave for another. What world will we live in today’?

How about a wonderful place for the weekend?

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)

Old 09-24-2020, 12:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This will be my first sober weekend since July 25/26th. I will not be drinking this weekend.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Shotgun!
Thanks Mags! I will be joining you and Phil in a wonderful sober weekend.
​​​​​​.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This will be my second weekend sober. Hopefully my last second weekend sober.

I went for a nice run yesterday and looking forward to another one tomorrow. Started a bodyweight fitness routine today and will be continuing that on Saturday. Just back from a 4km walk. Want to get in shape as I reach the end of my twenties.

College started Monday but because of a delay in my getting registered I'm missing a lot of labs and lectures. But yesterday after I realized I misunderstood my dept head in an earlier email, I sent him my forms and he's signing and submitting them to the registration office. So hopefully I'll be registered in the coming days. It's been tempting to drink on the stress of not being registered and missing out, but I know that won't help.

I recently found out from my mother that I said something nasty to my sister when I was blacked out and she's still angry with me. It breaks my heart to know I said something so hurtful to someone I love and it's put me off ever drinking. In the past when I've quit drinking, I've always thought "once I get three months sober, I'll start drinking in moderation" but now I genuinely don't want to drink again and I'm going to be seriously practicing AVRT.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Phil welcome to Weekenders
Old 09-24-2020, 01:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on shotgun Hawkeye
Old 09-24-2020, 01:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Freedomfries, I had a lot of regrets too. The good thing is, in staying sober, we remember everything we’ve said and done.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Hi Freedomfries, I had a lot of regrets too. The good thing is, in staying sober, we remember everything we’ve said and done.
Now that I'm committed to being sober, I never have to worry about drinking too much and saying things I regret.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you Mags

D
Old 09-24-2020, 01:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Especially during the last couple of years of my drinking, there were so many things said or done that I regret. Many took time to heal. Some may never heal 100%. These are the memories that I can use in a productive way though.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for this new chapter Mags.
I really like Ann's quote about our mind and where we chose to be.
I can relate to it too and should care more about what house I'm in.
A powerful option.

I'm in for another sober weekend with you Weekenders - have a good day
Old 09-24-2020, 02:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags.

Well done Phil and Freedomfries.

I have got a 45 min telephone consultation with a physiotherapist today, for my hip. Not sure how that will work. I have been doing the exercises they recommended for a month now. Pelvic thrusts .

I regret all my drinking, it was never pretty. I cringe when I think back to stuff I did and stuff that happened to me. I made myself
vulnerable by being absolutely blackout drunk every time I went out. I also feel sad for the young me, I can see now through mature adult eyes that I was a very lost girl with no one looking out for me. Bad times.

Time went on and I started drinking at home. Bad stuff happened, drink more. Eventually drinking all day everyday. A drunk.

Sober now for nearly 2 years, my mind is a minefield of past traumas, guilt and regret, which is slowly recovering, but will never forget.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Mags and Ann for the great posts. So true.

How about kicking some AV / Addiction butt this weekend ?
Fix ouselves some small goals, short term objectives, and stay in the good zone, the positivie, even positive talk, syntax. (like Neuro-linguistic programming)
Focus on the positive and as if by a force of a nature, a law of attraction, you will find yourself in the positive without even noticing.

I'm IN, later weekenders

The JAM, from 1980 :

Old 09-24-2020, 02:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, all the best with the phone appointment. Glad you’ve been keeping up your hip work. You could take Elvis on. seriously though, I hope it’s helping.

Freedomfries it’s a good reason to stay sober.

Hi CK
Old 09-24-2020, 03:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you Vinny. Neuro-linguistic programming, very thought provoking.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Thanks, Mags!.

I'm in.

Looking forward to another productive, yet relaxing weekend.

There's an large aquarium that needs tweaking, among a list of other things.

Wishing everyone, a safe, happy weekend.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jobu0923204zzz.jpg (53.8 KB, 81 views)
Old 09-24-2020, 04:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Magsie

Lunar, forgot to say, I like your pumpkin moon avi. Jobu looks happy.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks Mags
Old 09-24-2020, 06:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ya know - I feel the pain behind Kaily's post, and thank you for posting that, Kaily. I too had a lot of past trauma, some before the drinking started in my teens and then definitely increasingly frequently while drinking in my twenties. It's such an unsafe way for a young woman to interact with the world and there is life-long trauma created.

However, I no longer need to be numb and I am able to process that past horror with sober eyes and heart now. Luckily I don't remember a lot of it. I was a hot mess, now I've learned. I can let it go. I don't blame myself anymore but I do take responsibility for putting myself in those situations when under the influence. It's complicated, for sure.

This song really takes me back to that time. This video might be a little bit disturbing, but it's a classic song of that era. The song definitely captures my relationship with alcohol and drugs and my existential desire to escape the scariness and pain of life as a young woman in the seventies and eighties. Plus one of the greatest guitar solos ever!

There is a very very dark side to addiction, and I don't like to talk about it but it's part of who I am. Lest we forget.

Roger Waters, Van Morrison, The Band - Comfortably Numb

Old 09-24-2020, 06:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags.