Notices

Free as a bird - Weekenders 11 - 14 September 2020

Old 09-12-2020, 08:28 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Welcome to Weekenders, Erica. Good to have you with us.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:03 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

"This seems very 2020, watch as smoke gets sucked into Pacific storm"

I liked the title, and I have nothing more interesting going on. It's surreal outside. If I were a doomsdayer, I'd be all over this year as The One. Pretty cool unusual conditions...that's the smoke from the California, Oregon, Washington fires going on right now. Amazing. It says it's 1300 miles out to sea. Right now it's being trapped down by the low pressure preceding this storm.

There is a link to a full-globe in motion satellite image that's stunning (clickety on "see larger version here," in the article)

Bring on the rain, Mister Storm,

https://komonews.com/weather/scotts-...-pacific-storm

Old 09-12-2020, 10:38 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

^^^^^

Heavens; just awful.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:42 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Jesus that it an unnerving satellite photo. What are we doing!!

Good self awareness Erica, not everything can be fixed but they can certainly be prevented from getting worse. Well done.

Diana Rigg passed away recently. Younger people would only know her as Olenna Tyrell from Game of Thrones but if you're a Brit of a certain generation then she is better known as Mrs Emma Peel from a 1960s pop-art influenced tv series called The Avengers, nothing to do with Age of Ultron etc. She was not one of us but I thought I would post a little tribute vid.

https://youtu.be/idtYckLIZnI

Old 09-12-2020, 11:48 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Magsie

Aw, R.I.P. Emma Peel. She was cool!

Bim, I hope that rain falls very soon.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:53 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Diana Rigg as Emma Peel - always intelligent, stylish, and much admired. She brought those qualities to her role as Tracey in On Her Majesty's Secret Service too.
The sound of the theme song for The Avengers still gives a frisson:

Old 09-12-2020, 12:08 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

That was a great tribute video, Sao. Girl Power.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:08 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Erica375

Saturday afternoon an I'm doing well. I think I'm getting the hang of posting here and took some notes so I can respond to others.
Saoutchik, a question. What, exactly did Lynyrd Skynyrd stand for? I apparently grew up very sheltered in an out-in-the-boonies suburb of Boston. Please don't laugh (too hard), but I had never heard of the Rolling Stones until I went to college.
But I remember Mrs. Peel! My dad and I used to watch The Avengers together. That and Dr. Who and Star Trek and, I think it was called, The Prisoner.
CaptainHaddock, so glad there was no snake! Not fond of them, but I respect that they're part of our ecosystem. Prefer that they be part of it away from me, though.
Thank you to Biminiblue and thank you to Soberleigh for the welcome.
Cityboy, that must have been terrifying!
Ok, it seems my adoring public (family) is summoning me, so enough for now. Glad to still be sober!
Old 09-12-2020, 01:57 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hi Erica
Great to have you along in the weekenders.

Thanks PJ

Not feeling very chatty nor bright this morning but I thought I’d better check in. When I feel low and don’t check in, the AV comes out of stealth mode and starts really digging its claws in. And it’s Sunday and I’m in a funk so warning bells are ringing. In the past I would have been feeling too despondent to post and would withdraw. But I recognise the signs and I am going to have to mix things up today and get out and do something fun, otherwise I’ll wallow.

I’m going to have to work at keeping it a sober Sunday today.
I will not drink today. I will keep reminding myself of the futility of drinking and the awful consequences.
This is my 12th sober weekend and it’s going to stay that way.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:08 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Willow.

You've got this.

I know we are all thinking that! I can't stick around, dinner is ready.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:24 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Thanks Bim
Enjoy your dinner!
Old 09-12-2020, 03:40 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Willow - congrats on your 12th consecutive sober weekend. One more and that will be a quarter of a year of sober, drink-free, no hangover, weekends.

I've kept myself busy today (Saturday) messing about with an old desktop computer that until today hadn't been switched on since December 2015. I was hoping to update it to Windows 10 but as it was running Windows Vista it couldn't be done for free, My current desktop is on its last legs and I fear it could go at any time (it sometimes makes unhealthy sounding computer noisesand the computer fan sometimes stops working) so I wanted to have a back up just in case. I do have a laptop but during the day prefer to sit at a computer desk in front of a large screen. Microsoft have ended all support for Vista so in the end I decided to install the Linux Mint operating system. I'm not sure I'm overly keen on it but at least it's there as a backup if my computer does stop working. And it gave me something to do for several hours. As a distraction it worked well.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:53 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Welcome Erica.
I hope you get some peace of mind Willow.
My neighbour over the back fence is a nursing home. All hours of the day and night there are residents- presumably with dementia, who call out 'help me' over and over. The nursing home is a good one- I have been there at least 6 times delivering wrongly delivered mail, and I used to work in such places and one notices stuff. Very sad and I am grateful my little brush with cognitive dysfunction (it was thought I would need regular supervision by a carer or even institutionalising after the burns) was not so debilitating. I throw up a prayer to the universe for them. There but for the grace of god, go I....
Old 09-12-2020, 04:06 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Samantha

Despite it being mine and my fiances anniversary, I have stayed sober. I havent stopped eating though and bet I've gained 10lbs since I have an eating disorder. Not happy at all, but I will stay sober.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:27 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Happy Anniversary, anxiousrock, and congrats on staying sober. Well done.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:35 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Happy anniversary anxiousrock and well done on staying sober.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:03 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Thanks Robbie, that’s a great way to look at it. Nearly a quarter of a year sober!

Happy anniversary anxiousrock, and well done!
Old 09-12-2020, 07:51 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Willow, hope the AV doesn't give you much of a hard time today. Maybe a walk and a check in with Jonathon?

Anxiousrock, good job staying sober.

PJ, I would think that it must be very disturbing to hear calls for help.

Robbie, my old desktop has windows 98 I think. There is only one app on that machine I still use occasionally that is not supported by newer versions of windows. I should make sure I have any files I need off that machine and throw it into the burn pile, then get a newer version of that app for my laptop.

Erica, I used to watch Dr Who with Tom Baker when it came on PBS in the 80s. My experience in the private plane on 9/11 was not really scary until we landed, went inside, and began to watch the coverage. Then the reality began to set in and the military aircraft circling the airfield seemed much more significant.

Bimini, very striking image with the smoke.

Old 09-12-2020, 08:15 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

PJ I’m glad you’re here with us
Dementia is so sad. It must be awful for the sufferers as well as those who have loved ones with dementia .

Cityboy I did go for a walk, I didn’t see Jonathan but I’ll head back down to the beach later this afternoon once it cools off. It’s pretty hot out there at the moment
Old 09-12-2020, 08:38 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I remember the British TV show The Avengers very well. I loved it, and the two stars too.