Notices

Free as a bird - Weekenders 11 - 14 September 2020

Old 09-11-2020, 12:16 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Mags

Hello to all the weekenders BONJOUR

Got through another week. It's going to be very hot here near Toulouse in the south of France this weekend.
Might get up to 34°c on sunday apparently. Some of my greener tomatoes might start ripening

Thanks D for the Beatles tune. I never really was big into the Beatles... go figure.

Alcoholism is the total opposite of freedom for me. I was a slave to addiction. It totally kicked my a$$. When your stuck in addiction you are not even free to think properly. The unfortunate thing too is that you impact the freedom of so many others, if your married, kids, mother/father, brothers, sisters, friends, work colleagues...

A man is but the product of his thoughts; what he thinks, he becomes.

Leigh, my thoughts are with you too.

Have a great weekend weekenders

Regards,
Vinny

Old 09-11-2020, 01:01 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Mr

Just heard this morning my company is closing one of it's big sites in Paris because of too many cases of COVID.
The second wave is underway in France with almost 10,000 postive test results in the last 24h.
The COVID psychosis is warming up again and the media are having a field day.
Admissions into hospitals and ICU are on the rise
I know there are loads of covid threads...
just thought i'd share that.
WEIRD
Old 09-11-2020, 01:10 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you and your family stay safe and well Vinny.

D
Old 09-11-2020, 02:00 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Magsie

Vinny, keep safe, take care.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:43 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Autumn is on the way here - it's dark by 8pm, the trees are starting to change colour. I find this time of year the most triggering - maybe for some people it for drinking in the Summer sunshine, or Xmas or whatever, but it's Autumn for me - but they're just fleeting thoughts that pass as quickly as they appear.

I'm a bit demob-happy today as I have the next fortnight off work. I think I've been getting a bit stir-crazy lately as I haven't been more than five miles from home in about six months. I'm going camping for a week, so it'll be nice to have a change of scene, get outdoors & not think about work. & I have a stack of reading for if(/when) it rains all week - lol.

hope everyone is doing well & staying safe.

Old 09-11-2020, 04:01 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders!
Thanks for this new chapter Mags

It was 19 years today...the fall of the twin towers..I remember it was a beautiful day in here.
Time flies but RIP to all the innocent people who lost their lives on that day.

Covid numbers are on a dramatic rise in France, courage mon ami Vincent!
We're still under 200 cases a day in here...but we know the second wave is coming...

197th consecutive sober weekend ahead for me, I'm very happy of the choice I make every weekend : stay clean and sober.

Have a good day folks

Old 09-11-2020, 04:03 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Alright! How's ready for the weekend? This will be my SECOND weekend sober. Looking forward to it!

Old 09-11-2020, 05:11 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Magsie

Enjoy camping, Andy.

CK, I remember it well, A tragic loss of lives.

Nice one Renegrade, it’s great waking up sober on a Saturday morning. Come to think of it, it’s great waking up sober every morning.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:57 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Drinking booze for me = disconnection, isolating, oblivion to escape emotional pain.
BUT
apart from being hard- that same pain reminds me I am alive, connected to real time life and I still have the capacity to grow and heal even more.

It would not matter if I was drinking and it killed me, because I would not be living anyhow.

So I choose pain

I choose life

(and chocolate and coffee)
Amen.

Love you, my friend.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:05 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Have a great time camping, andy. When it is quiet with only the sounds of nature and you gaze up at the stars, it is hard to imagine that there is anything wrong in the world. Enjoy the peace.

COVID - big sigh.

9/11 - big sigh.

Peace, love, health, and safety to all. (And a beautiful Sober Weekend).
Old 09-11-2020, 07:08 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I like that sign Andy.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:15 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Nice one Renegrade, it’s great waking up sober on a Saturday morning. Come to think of it, it’s great waking up sober every morning.
It sure is. It's one of the improvements I felt right away. Sleeping well.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:25 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Erica375

Friday morning

Hello, Weekenders! Sorry I haven't been responding to what others post. Still getting to know this site. I may try it on my laptop to see if that format makes more sense to me. I'm on a couple of other recovery sites and each is different.

I like this weekenders thread, though. The daughter who lives with me will be going camping with a friend this weekend so I am working on my sober plan. Right now it includes some long-neglected housework and, weather permitting, some yard work. I'll also need to think of fun and/or relaxing things to balance it out. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Welcome to Weekenders, Erica. The really good thing about this thread is it is entirely, "Come as you are." Slippers and pajamas always welcome. No need to reply to every post. I tend to just ramble on at times and no one even notices - it's kind of like, "There goes bim. Just humor her."

It's home, complete with annoyances and wisdom. Humor and sadness. Life, ya know?

Only requirement is a sincere desire to stop drinking or drugging. One Weekend at a time. (It goes all week, too.)

been a while...

Leaves have fallen all around...

*sacrilegious, but I like this version better than LZ
Old 09-11-2020, 07:51 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Old 09-11-2020, 07:56 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Sorry, I posted before my thoughts were ready. Come back later..
Old 09-11-2020, 08:00 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Sorry, I posted before my thoughts were ready. Come back later..

I used to say my mouth was in motion before my mind was engaged.

I do a LOT of post editing. I know that's not a particularly good trait of mine, but I will probably continue to do it!
Old 09-11-2020, 08:15 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Leigh, I LOVE roller coasters and now I REALLY want to go on the Expedition Everest one! It looks like a blast!
Funnily enough, I'm quite afraid of heights. But for whatever reason, I like roller coasters. I think because I am physically sitting in something, strapped in, and the car does not leave the track (hopefully). But on a ladder? Different story. I can do it if I have to, but I am scared the whole time. It's a vertigo/panic type of thing. I can overcome it if I really work on my breathing and calm myself down but it's an effort.

Friday, and I was hoping to work from home part of the day, but there is just enough stuff that I need to be here at work for that I probably won't be able to get away until it's so late in the day that it isn't even worth it. We are allowed to work from home as long as we can get our work done, but right now at the beginning of the semester I need to be around to help professors with technology in classrooms they have not taught in before, with technology they are not used to. Especially this year, when there is a lot of new tech no one has used before. It's a challenge but I kind of like it, because I'm not bad at figuring that kind of stuff out. It's not actually in my job description and we do have an IT department, but it takes time to get help from them and I don't like bugging them for simple stuff I can usually figure out.

This weekend should be pretty low-key for me. I have one more week with my kid at home, so we will be making sure we have everything she needs to move into the dorm, and I'll be cooking favorite meals. My little doggie is having a very overdue grooming session on Sunday. He HATES it and I usually try to clip him myself, but he hates that too and he sometimes just needs a professional to do it. I used to have a lady who came to my house but I cannot get ahold of her anymore so I think she quit doing it. So this is a new groomer, at a pet food store next town over. I have heard good things. I will post before and after pictures so you can see just how shaggy and unkempt he is!
Old 09-11-2020, 08:25 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thanks Bim, but I was bit ratted.

So I’m doing some light gardening and as I was putting some stuff in the compost bins standing in one corner, a loud hissing sound seemed to come at me from behind or between the two composter bins. I backed away and could have been imagining things, but I’m hoping it’s not a snake. We live right next to an open grassland area. The regular gardener once told me that he had heard “something” moving around in that area. I think I might need a bit of help before I investigate further on my own (and not the liquid kind). Will keep you posted.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:29 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Erica don’t worry about responding to every post, as Bim says. Join in when you feel like, or not, it’s up to you.

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
shaggy and unkempt he is!
Sounds like Mr. Mags....he’s still not been for an haircut!