Notices

Letting go this weekend - Weekenders 04-07 September 2020

Old 09-05-2020, 03:11 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hey cityboy, nothing like catching monster panfish on light tackle!
Old 09-05-2020, 03:17 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I kinda feel sad for the lion, he looks so frustrated - bit like our inner beasts when they don't got their fix. But they are bad, the lion isn't.

Today I am doing some painting outside. A cupboard door, it needs three coats, one done, two to go. Overdid gardening yesterday and made my back and hip extremely sore. Very frustrating.

Nice to see you Patcha.

Happy fishing Cityboy.

I think we all need to be more Alfie, just sit and watch the world go by, without a care in the world.

Old 09-05-2020, 05:06 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

This is my seventh weekend. Wow. Here's to making it another sober one.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:19 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Nice to see you Patcha.

Willow, one day you'll decide that you aren't going to let the thoughts of drinking rule your weekend and that will be that.

Congrats on the SEVEN, copperfield. I have no doubt you'll breeze through this one too. How's the job going?

Alfie is doing advanced maths in his little head. "Approximately how many steps to catch that squirrel? How close is the squirrel to that tree? Is it worth jumping down? No. The squirrel has the advantage on this one. I can wait."

Now I want to watch that NASA engineer's squirrel maze video again.

Time for a late summer Jack Johnson tune

What is the purpose of my life
If it doesn't ever do
With learning to let it go

Old 09-05-2020, 06:26 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I might go fishing today. Thanks for the idea, cityboy.

It's so great to wake up on a beautiful Saturday morning without any sort of hangover.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:35 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Ah the long weekend. Usually I am filled with anticipation and excitement over the start of a new school year and so I make the most of every day . Very different this year. I am having restless sleeps and dreaming about drinking. I was irritable and tired yesterday, forcing myself to do the things I know I should. I have been up since 5 doing my "recovery plan" but the mind is still churning and I know from experience that my addictive voice tries to use this as an "in". No, I do not have a desire to drink but maybe spewing out my thoughts here will allow me to get back to the more important work of enjoying my last weekend before the sh** storm begins. So here goes, (please note: I do NOT wish to debate my opinion that follows, I simply need to get it out of my mind. I may think differently tomorrow but today I am doing what I need to do to stay sober. That is all)

Whether or not anyone in my community is concerned about Covid, or doesn't believe in it, or doesn't have kids, what happens in schools now can affect their lives anyway. How so? If a child has symptoms of Covid (even if its a cold or flu), parents have to immediately pick them up, get tested and the family self-isolates for 14 days. If a test is positive, the class/cohort/school isolates or quarantines for 14 days. This includes families and parents that need to work. This could lead to isolation/quarantine of the parents' work location also (so yes, you may get a call one night saying you can't go back to work for 14 days - perhaps without wages and you don't even have kids). Then we're told that we can be sued if it leads to illness, death or loss of wages. Seriously?! Never mind the complexities of education in the Covid Era (technology issues, huge gaps in learning, increased mental health issues) this gives me a sense of being greatly burdened, like it is up to me (educators) to keep the community safe and working or be scorned. Everyone in a community needs to help keep numbers low to help minimize it at schools in the first place, so I am less patient with people who don't practice social distancing or who don't wear masks because an outbreak in a school can affect hundreds if not thousands of people. Maybe that's why I was more irritable while out getting groceries yesterday.

Whew, done. And now that I wrote it, I feel somewhat "de-escalated" and think I can now move on from these thoughts to more productive and joyful activities. I have debated to delete my rant now that I feel better (rants are embarrassing to me because I do that when I drink) but since my thought is "delete it, no one has to know how foolish you think" I wonder if my AV is encouraging me to not share or I'm protecting myself from embarrassment. I don't know, weird how I think but since I am not yet master of my addictive voice I will assume anything in question is coming from a place not in my best interest.

And now, I will go join my hubby and fur babies in the backyard. Maybe one last swim.....
Old 09-05-2020, 10:13 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders Patcha, ImNotThatGuy, puzzle.

If you are a teacher or educator puzzle then you definitely have my support and I wish everyone in schools and colleges all the best. It is not going to be easy.

Good to see you copperfield. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:56 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
5 AM here. Up a little early to take my kid fishing. My intelligence officer (local bait shop guy) informed me of a lake two hours away where they have been crushing monster shellcracker this week. I'm not going to miss out on a real adventure because of some ridiculous weekend long drinking binge, like I have been doing most of my life.

The lion in Bimini's video, the riggers of life that just want to tear you down and eat you up. The little girl, us on alcohol, defenseless against them except for the glass, which is the perceived barrier that you think alcohol provides. Take away the alcohol (false barrier), and you're no longer a defenseless little girl, and the riggers of life begin to subside, no longer possessing such overwhelming force. [Philosophical portion of the day.] Time to get ready.
Great post; thanks, CityBoy.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:09 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Welcome, Patcha, ImNotThatGuy, puzzle.

Teachers have my utmost respect, also. There are two active teachers in my family and one retired. They have a huge challenge ahead of them; add their own families to the mix and it is almost a nightmare. We are here for you, puzzle. You can let it out with us.

Willow, that pesky AV will settle down with time and when it does fear its ugly head, it will be easier to kick to the curb. Keep your recovery front and center; the AV hates that.

CityBoy and ImNotThatGuy, good luck fishing. My very first catch was a Pompano! Talk about being excited; it really fought.

Kaily, Alfie is such a cutie.

Mags, Suze, copperfield, Sao, Bim, lunar, PhoenixJ, Robbie, ALL.

Have a nice day.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:17 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Evening everyone. Having a really nice sober weekend. We spent some time today at this farm lake.

And here is a very happy but muddy Corgi. She even had a chance to chase at a herd of cattle. Not trained at herding at all, but there was clearly some instinct there that was quite special to observe. The cattle seemed quite tolerant and happy to play along with the little city slicker.

Old 09-05-2020, 12:31 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

CaptainHaddock. Yes, your Corgi looks very happy!

Beautiful scenery you have there.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:41 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Enjoy.
RIP John and George.

Old 09-05-2020, 06:30 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi everyone
Sober Sunday morning is lovely. Captain it looks lovely and tranquil there and your corgi is wearing a very happy smile
Old 09-05-2020, 08:25 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

love the corgi pic captn! hi bimini, the job is going fantastic! Thank you so much for asking. I'm tired because it is so much to learn that my brain is tired but I am loving it and it will get easier the more I do it. Also, i saw your post on another thread where you mentioned that once you made it to one year it got much easier. I was wondering about this. I'm only at 43 days. It still is so hard sometimes. I read once that someone said you gotta make 100 days but I wonder about that too. It was nice to read though that you felt an ease after making that first year.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:33 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Hiya Patcha, ImNotThatGuy, puzzle.

Captain, your corgi’s having a ball, good photos.

Kaily, A very thoughtful Alfie.

Bim, I loved the lion and the little girl. It reminded me of when I was riding on the London Eye. The ‘pod’ I was in holds quite a few people and one of them was a little girl who had no fear of heights. She was pressed up to the glass , seemingly loving the view.

puzzle, I think writing our thoughts down puts things into perspective.

lunar, great song, I like the Beatles music. I can imagine Jobu’s teeth are razor sharp!

Sober Sunday morning for me too. I never tire of it.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:37 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi copperfield congratulations on day 43. It gets much easier the further away from day 1 you are.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:35 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

CF, congrats on 43 days sober!

I'm so glad I'm sober! I made my life so much simpler when I got rid of the wine. And now, no drama, no chaos, only peace and contentment.

And nothing, absolutely nothing, beats waking up sober every morning.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:43 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Great pics Captain, Truffle looks to be loving the mud! Cooling down I guess after her cattle herding.

Copperfield so pleased to hear from you and glad to read your job is going well. 43 days is fantastic but still very early on, it is hard, there's no denying it. I struggled for a long time but little by little it gets easier. Don't forget it is a total restructure of life as we know it, so give it time. Your brain would be totally frazzled if you were drinking, learning the new job would be so much harder.

Bim that was a nice gentle tune you gave us. You are right, Alfie is very stealth, he gets himself low to the ground and stalks any squirrel he sees. He chased a young heron across an open field the other day. I think it was also chasing him as it kept low and it swooped down towards him. The whole thing lasted several minutes, I wish I had videoed it, very amusing. The hunter becomes the hunted.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:04 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders

Welcome to Patcha, ImNotThatGuy and puzzle and hello to all!

Well done to copperfield on 43 days and seven Weekenders

Great scenic pictures CaptainHaddock. Your Corgi looks very happy! Lovely blue sky in the first picture - it's better than what I can see from my living room window at the moment, which is grey sky and drizzle. The birds are seemingly on a feeding feast though given the amount of them that are outside on the grass.

It's great to wake up sober on a Sunday morning. I even allowed myself a little lie-in and now am having breakfast.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:11 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Sunday night sober, which completes 75 days sober
And I’m off to bed now.
After another bowl of icecream today I decided I really needed to get busy to get the AV out of my head. So I watered the garden, planted some small trees in my garden and repotted some root bound pot plants. I also baked a cake and did some tidying up and organising of my camping gear and a bit of general tidying around the house. Fairly productive and now I’m tired but happy that I made it through another weekend sober