Notices

Letting go this weekend - Weekenders 04-07 September 2020

Old 09-04-2020, 04:37 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Renegade, hang in there Bro. Great job on 5 days. It only gets better. All the voices urging you to drink are lying to you and only want to do you harm. Do something cool instead of drinking. Sunday morning you will see how great life is without a hangover.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:00 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Welcome Renegade.

Try and keep busy this weekend. Plan a day out or just go walking, gardening, whatever. Anything but drink. Get some nice snacks in too, they help in those difficult early days.

Keep posting and let us know how it's going.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:42 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Welcome to Weekenders, Renegade.

You know what to do! Or in this case - even easier - you know what not to do. We'll be not doing it with you.

In the past six and a half years I have only touched a container holding alcohol one time, and that was because I was bringing dinner to a friend who had just had leg surgery and she couldn't walk. I didn't bring alcohol, but she had some in her fridge and wanted a glass of wine.

Part of my abstinence thing is just not even picking it up. I have a barrier between my hand and alcohol.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:22 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Renegade, welcome to the Weekenders

Hi Beels, good to see you. Weekend 6 is great!

Old 09-04-2020, 08:10 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Part of my abstinence thing is just not even picking it up. I have a barrier between my hand and alcohol.
I actually served beer to my wife during dinner a couple of days this week. I still have a bottle of wine in the fridge, if she wants some with a meal.

I didn't poured all the alcohol I had down the drain. That would cause some sense of suspicious from my wife. I just told I was trying to lose weight and, among other things, I wouldn't drink alcohol. That means she can have a glass of wine while dining with me. It's something I'll have to live with. I won't stop her from having the occasional drink. It might be harder for me? I don't know. In 5 days that didn't bothered me.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:16 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renegade2 View Post
I actually served beer to my wife during dinner a couple of days this week. I still have a bottle of wine in the fridge, if she wants some with a meal.

I didn't poured all the alcohol I had down the drain. That would cause some sense of suspicious from my wife. I just told I was trying to lose weight and, among other things, I wouldn't drink alcohol. That means she can have a glass of wine while dining with me. It's something I'll have to live with. I won't stop her from having the occasional drink. It might be harder for me? I don't know. In 5 days that didn't bothered me.
So, your wife doesn't know that you have a problem with alcohol? None of my business, for sure - but that would certainly add a layer of unnecessary difficulty if I were trying to be secretive about it with my SO.

That barrier could be between my Mouth and alcohol. Same thing - it's a barrier. That little kid's mouth isn't getting any lion in it, either.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:05 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Welcome to Weekenders, Renegade. Glad you are with us.

BEEL, Weekend #6. Well done!

Mags, prayers for your friend, her daughter and her grandson. What a difficult situation.

Willow, nice photo. Jonathan’s no dummy!

Kaily, love the Pooh and Piglet image.

and love to all.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:16 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders Renegade! Congratulations on 5 days. You're right that the weekend is definitely hardest time to abstain but the flip-side is that it is also the time when we get the biggest payback for not drinking. Waking up on a Saturday morning hangover free never gets boring. Good luck.

Good to see you BEELS. Hats off for 6.

Happy Macadamia Nut Day everyone! (I kid you not)
Old 09-04-2020, 09:31 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renegade2 View Post

It was hard to do, Renegade, but that was my philosophy, too. I dumped all of my wine but left my husband’s (a normal drinker’s) liquor intact. As alcohol was everywhere in my life, I used my home as my proving ground so to speak. I knew I had to be able to be around it. I didn’t make any announcement, either.

I have to say, though, that it was not easy.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:58 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
So, your wife doesn't know that you have a problem with alcohol? None of my business, for sure - but that would certainly add a layer of unnecessary difficulty if I were trying to be secretive about it with my SO.
We haven't spoken openly about it. The last couple of years, she hinted "haven't you had enough?" sometimes, but nothing as blunt as "you have a drinking problem you need to fix, or else..."
She might sense it, but kept to herself, maybe that didn't bother her that much, for now... Or it bother her, but was hoping for me that stopped some time.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:26 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

None of my business renegade, just trying to help. Your wife knows that you have a drinking problem. If you quit, she will soon figure that out as well. But you have to do what you've got to do irregardless of that either way.

For me, I was surprised at how rapidly some major things fell into place when I quit. Not everything. Many things that I just didn't want to confront all that time still needed to be confronted, some still do. It's much different now though.

Not a fan of lions, or tigers. Bobcats and cheetahs are cool.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:51 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Evening Weekenders!

Welcome Renegade, congratulations on day 5.Hope everyone is keeping fine
Old 09-04-2020, 02:24 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

My goodness Bim! I may be slow on the uptake, but it took me a few watches before I realised there was an invisible barrier between the lion and the little girl. I think because I was just yesterday watching a video on friendships between people and animals that included a person cuddling a couple of young lions that I didn’t spot the barrier right away.
I once had a lion roar up to the window at me in a zoo and it freaked me out. I am so glad the invisible barrier was in place!

It’s a great thing to have an invisible barrier between alcohol and our mouths. I’m going to work on strengthening mine

happy Saturday morning everyone
Old 09-04-2020, 05:55 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Welcome Renegade.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:01 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Saturday morning, no hangover. That never gets tiring.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:08 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Saturday afternoon here. Just hanging out with my new kitten. I can feel the habit knocking at the door but I'm not opening it. I have a lot of snacks and sodas to distract me.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:12 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Saturday evening. The AV was yabbering away at me all afternoon but I refused to listen to it. I cooked a stirfry (chicken & veggies) with brown rice and had some ginger and lemon tea and some icecream. I keep the icecream for when the AV is loud, which is mostly on weekends. This is my 11th sober weekend. I figure if I only eat icecream on the weekends that’s not too unhealthy. And it beats drinking!
Old 09-05-2020, 02:36 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

5 AM here. Up a little early to take my kid fishing. My intelligence officer (local bait shop guy) informed me of a lake two hours away where they have been crushing monster shellcracker this week. I'm not going to miss out on a real adventure because of some ridiculous weekend long drinking binge, like I have been doing most of my life.

The lion in Bimini's video, the riggers of life that just want to tear you down and eat you up. The little girl, us on alcohol, defenseless against them except for the glass, which is the perceived barrier that you think alcohol provides. Take away the alcohol (false barrier), and you're no longer a defenseless little girl, and the riggers of life begin to subside, no longer possessing such overwhelming force. [Philosophical portion of the day.] Time to get ready.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:40 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Willow, eleventh sober weekend.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:08 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Thanks Marty. Yes his name is indeed Jobu.

He is humongous now, after acquiring him July 2019 @ the size of a half-dollar coin. (remember those). Barely could eat medium crickets.

I'll spare everyone as to what he eats now.

No new videos, as my main focus is to get him into a "40 gallon breeder" tank. Large, heavy, have to engineer in-line heating to keep him at

approximately 78F. He is gigantic. Oh, and to boot, he now has 3 large teeth, similar to a sharks.

A real handful of joy from a prior twirp. Larger than a softball, rounder as well.

Have a nice and safe weekend everyone.

Recently got back from upstate NY. Restaurants were open with inside service.

I believe that yesterday, they opened here in NJ. Tired of mask on, mask off.

Be safe, be well, everyone, have a great weekend.