Notices

Max's new Journal

Old 07-25-2020, 12:23 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Yes, please, Max. Sorry if you’re posting elsewhere on the site.

You were/are doing well and on the road to quitting for good. Plus, as Gabe says, you’re inspiring others.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:34 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Just checking in on your thread brother.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:30 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

3 weeks!

Hi Gabe, Hodd and BABM. Thanks for visiting! I am doing good! 3 weeks today! Things are going great! Some ups and downs but I am building my ability to be mindfull and get through them. I am slowly ramping up my workouts and trying with some success to watch what I eat. Not much else to say on my end. Looking forward to one month. Little to know AV activity. I am just f'ing done with this stupid cycle.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:46 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 3 weeks Max

D
Old 07-27-2020, 11:08 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 weeks Max x
Old 07-27-2020, 11:24 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Well done Maximus!!!!!!! 😊😊😊
Old 07-29-2020, 09:15 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Day 23

I had a good sobriety run for 2 months late March to Late May. It ended, oddly (and nerdily) enough because I was watching the Space x demo 2 mission coverage literally for 36 hours straight. When they got on the station and cut coverage I felt this emptiness as that is what I had been doing for the past 2 days. I went down to the store and got a bottle. I then struggled with quitting and staying quit again until the current one. I have still spent maybe half of this year sober in and out of quits. Anyway, I am saying this because they are supposed to come back here in the next few days and I will be watching. I won't be drinking after though. Ill come here either way and report.

All is well. Still little to no AV activity which is good but then I need to be ready for when I am challenged. Again, I am at a point in my quits that I don't drink a lot of the time. My cycle is to quit for a few weeks/month or 2 and then relapse and then hop back on after however long the binge takes to stop.

The most important thing I have realized as I continue my journey quitting alcohol is to never stop trying. The more sober time built up the better and the less the withdrawals. I did this with smoking a few years ago. I just quit and then if I slipped I would buy a pack, smoke and then throw it out. Did this for 2 months and in the process it slowly released its hold. I think the same thing has happened with drinking. My horrible withdrawals are years in the past as I don't drink nearly as much as I did back in the beginning of this decade. Even though I am still in the relapse pattern it has still had me build up quite a bit of sober time. Relapses are dangerous and should not be taken lightly but all the sober time built up in each of our quits still counts!
Old 07-29-2020, 10:57 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Well done Max, you are doing such a great job

You are so right too, all that sober time matters and adds up, also relapses are so serious, some folks never make it back. Never stop trying!
Old 07-30-2020, 05:15 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Day 24

This is one of my more easy quits. I get them here and there and obviously, since I am quitting now the other ones didn't last. Complacency I suppose. I have focused myself on fitness which I do when I don't drink anyway but I am stepping it up. I am getting older and finding my body is starting to not work like it used to and I can't be having that. I have started a lot of stretching and mobility drills and working out a lot. By my next birthday I would like to be in the best shape of my life. (I have about 10 months) I have been watching what I eat and counting calories more closely. I have been more hungry for sure but I need to drop some weight first and then I can maintain. Going strong and going to stick around here as well!
Old 07-30-2020, 05:29 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Great job MaximusD!!! Sounds like a great plan.

I initially bristle at the mindset that even if I don't stop drinking forever, the sober time is good. At the outset it sounds to me like a recipe to pick up again. I don't know. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But I would have no doubt been better off had I quit drinking here and there in my 30 years of drinking without a single break. Especially the last 10 years of insane drinking that I did. If I had 150 days of sobriety in each of those 10 years and had tried and kept trying, perhaps I wouldn't have done as much damage to my body and maybe one of those times it would have clicked for me.

It is an interesting topic in recovery and one that is the subject of much debate here on SR I'm sure.

Congrats on all of your sober time Max. We all need to keep trying every day drinking or not, right??!!!
Old 08-03-2020, 07:46 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Day 28

Still going strong and plan to keep it that way. Need to catch up on here as I haven't been around for like 3 days. Thanks for visiting surrendered! It is true that we don't LOSE those sobriety days that we had on previous. Been doing really good with health and fitness however this is still a well travelled part of my typical quit cycle so I am even more vigilant now. Coming up on a month! I have lost an inch of my waist and about 1% body fat which is good as I am hardly overweight as is. Still little to no AV activity. My last quit ended after the Spacex demo 2 crew launched in late May and the coverage ended and I needed something to do. They just got back yesterday and I was ready and aware and had little to no AV activity after coverage ended. Onwards!
Old 08-03-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Keep the number count rising, sir.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:57 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Hey Max, sound like you are doing really well!

I have been stuck in a three month relapse cycle for about 4 years now, since I properly tried to quit. It's been really hared but I feel like it has led me to this point, where I have the knowledge and tools I need to make it permanent. Part of that is making some big life changes at the moment but getting past that 3 month is crucial. Don't take your eye off the ball, it can hit you from nowhere.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:37 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Hey Max, sound like you are doing really well!

I have been stuck in a three month relapse cycle for about 4 years now, since I properly tried to quit. It's been really hared but I feel like it has led me to this point, where I have the knowledge and tools I need to make it permanent. Part of that is making some big life changes at the moment but getting past that 3 month is crucial. Don't take your eye off the ball, it can hit you from nowhere.
I just visited your journal first and was noticing similarities in our quits. Now that you say this, wow! Our quits seem really similar. I too am on the same sort of cycle. Quitting for a few months and then relapsing. We need to be vigilant!

ALBA, thanks for stopping by and you keep those numbers going up too!
Old 08-13-2020, 04:26 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Day 38

Still at it with little AV activity. This is one of those rare strong quits that I just DO NOT want to throw away. I am really concentrating on being healthy which is helping. I have cleaned up my diet and stopped eating so damn much. I am losing weight, body fat and inches. I have had strong quits like this in the past and they generally last longer but maybe never had this same focus. One thing is I am staying around here. I probably typically get to about this amount of time or maybe a little longer when I quit before I fail and binge. Once I hit 2 months at the begining of next month that will start to be on the farther end of my normal quits. Just going to keep plugging along and staying active here. Work will be picking up again in a week or two which could be a bad thing actually as it will be a change and change is what can get me.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:43 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaximusD View Post
Still at it with little AV activity. This is one of those rare strong quits that I just DO NOT want to throw away. I am really concentrating on being healthy which is helping. I have cleaned up my diet and stopped eating so damn much. I am losing weight, body fat and inches. I have had strong quits like this in the past and they generally last longer but maybe never had this same focus. One thing is I am staying around here. I probably typically get to about this amount of time or maybe a little longer when I quit before I fail and binge. Once I hit 2 months at the begining of next month that will start to be on the farther end of my normal quits. Just going to keep plugging along and staying active here. Work will be picking up again in a week or two which could be a bad thing actually as it will be a change and change is what can get me.

You're a fitness fan. You can probably talk about HIIT, BMI, Macros etc till the cows come home. What about entering some challenge as part of your recovery. Granted we talk about all eggs in the sober basket but these sober eggs would be assisted with a challenge in mind.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:45 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

I have to post again to say you're doing great fella. Keep doing what's working the days for you.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:58 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ALBAdrunk View Post
You're a fitness fan. You can probably talk about HIIT, BMI, Macros etc till the cows come home. What about entering some challenge as part of your recovery. Granted we talk about all eggs in the sober basket but these sober eggs would be assisted with a challenge in mind.
My challenge is a personal challenge to be in the best shape of my life by my 40th birthday. I got some ideas in my head of what that would look like. I can guarantee one damn thing though and that is I am making this happen. By 40 I will have more than a year sober straight and will be in the best damn shape of my life. I will quote this post next year when I achieve it.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:09 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

My challenge is a personal challenge to be in the best shape of my life by my 40th birthday. I got some ideas in my head of what that would look like. I can guarantee one damn thing though and that is I am making this happen. By 40 I will have more than a year sober straight and will be in the best damn shape of my life. I will quote this post next year when I achieve it.
I'm 40 on the 21st Jan 2022, You must be similar?
Old 08-13-2020, 05:12 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Yeah, a few months ahead of you.