Notices

New Beginnings, Sun Set, Sun Rise Weekenders 19-22 June 2020

Old 06-22-2020, 06:38 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Happy Monday, weekenders!

I had a good birthday weekend. Thanks for all the wishes. Had the man friend over for dinner on Friday night. He sent me flowers earlier in the day. It was a complete surprise to me, as he's not much of a romantic. The delivery woman came to the door and I had to look at the card because I had zero idea who could have sent them! Funny thing, she's a friend from AA and I did not know she worked for that florist. She also did the arrangement. It was nice to see her, we have not had meetings in person since covid started. Then Saturday I cleaned out my garden shed, which was a complete mess. It was a ton of work, and I had not planned to do it, but I was looking for something that was buried and I just got fed up and thought I'd just go ahead and take care of it. Then we went to a restaurant with man friend's sister and brother in law. It was her birthday yesterday. That was fun, and seemed safe. The restaurant did a good job distancing groups of diners. Yesterday I got a few things done around the house but also managed to relax some.

Congratulations on 3 years, andyh! That's fantastic!

Good to see you here, lixie. Have a great week, and stick around and make it another sober week and weekend!
Old 06-22-2020, 09:50 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Evening Weekenders, glorious day here which I found mildly annoying as I had to go to work but the walk home was very enjoyable, partly because I weakened and bought an ice cream.

I know I have mentioned this before but I really am glad I am not still drinking will the lockdown was taking place. Needing to be at work by 8.30 five days a week was probably vital in preventing me from drinking myself to death. I have read or heard the occasional report saying people are buying more alcohol but they are always vague about if that is more than the total consumed when pubs, bars and restaurants were open or just more than used to be purchased from places that are not pubs etc. Anyway, things are drifting back to normal here slowly so now would be a good time to stop.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:52 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Marty, I’m glad you had a good weekend.

Saou, ice cream makes most things better.

Going for a walk around Normanby Park this morning. The news says from August 01 all shielding will end or be postponed. I’ll be extra vigilant though, as I guess most people will be.

See you later, take care and be safe. xx
Old 06-23-2020, 12:42 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7465662
Old 06-23-2020, 06:23 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Nice work, Phoenix!
Old 06-23-2020, 09:33 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That's excellent PhoenixJ, well done, you can be very proud of your work and the effort you put into it.

It has been a beautiful day here in London 26C/79F with a slight breeze, perfect.

I passed beneath a group of Angels earlier today. I suspect they were planning on doing what the pigeons normally do to me.

Attached Images
Old 06-23-2020, 11:05 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders, there is a possibility London will hit 30C or 86F today. As someone who likes the warmth that is is still OK although if the temperature goes above 30C it is uncomfortable.

Here is an interesting article about walking in my part of the world that appeared in the Financial Times no less.

https://www.ft.com/content/d1ec44d6-...2-98fe8b3ccc6f

[PAYWALL ARTICLE - D]

Old 06-23-2020, 11:42 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Old 06-24-2020, 12:02 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Great paintings PJ.

Saou, I couldn’t see anything on the link, but copied the title and another link opened. Some gorgeous parks and places to walk in your city. I love the riverbank with the barges. I’m sure they’re little angels and not little devils.

We went for a walk in Normanby Park yesterday morning. Met up with in-laws and had a good walk round. It was getting very warm though, and today is going to be hotter here too.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:28 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Good morning, weekenders.
Work has just gotten very stressful for me. I am on a committee to decide how to cut a LOT of money from the budget. I'll be on the committee to decide how many people to let go. My job is on the line, actually. I volunteered for this (well, sort of) but I'm starting to regret it a little. I could actually be a part of deciding that I'll lose my own job. I don't think I'll be cut, because there are people in high positions who have already told me I am valuable, but at this point, now that I have seen all the numbers (first meeting of the committee was yesterday), all bets are off. I'll get through it. If I lose this job, I will find another eventually. But this is a great job for me and I'll never find anything as convenient to my home or with benefits like I have. It's very depressing.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:43 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

MLD, I'm sorry. If you get furloughed will you have benefits for a while? Then when a vaccine becomes available, perhaps everyone gets hired back on? I don't see this virus as causing long-term mass unemployment...but in the short term it is very distressing. I'm definitely watching every penny right now.

I hope I'm not wrong and God knows I've been wrong before. People are going to want education more after this, and schools will be okay (maybe not until next Spring, but they I think they will be.)

Refuse to fire yourself. ? Ugh. I don't do well on any kind of committees. Prayers for your discernment.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:14 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

No, Bim. These are permanent cuts, not furloughs. There's no automatic re-hiring when things get better. Yes, it's possible to add jobs back in a couple of years, but the way our funding works, it looks like a long time before full funding would be restored (if ever). Our budget cycles are 2 years long. It could be 2-3 years before we start seeing increases to the funding. In the meantime, we have to cut positions, and there is zero guarantee they will EVER come back. The powers that be will decide those positions are not needed, if we manage to function without them. But the people left behind will have to pick up the slack, because the work doesn't just go away. And most of us are working more than we are supposed to already, without overtime pay. It's a mess.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:16 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

If I lose my job I'll get full benefits for a short time. Then I can do Cobra. Not sure how much that costs but it is not cheap. I pay very very little right now.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:26 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I hope it works out with your job MLD.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:15 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That's tough news about your work situation Marty. I hope there is an up uptick in the student numbers and a corresponding increase in funding or rather a reduction in the cuts.

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Morning Weekenders

Saou, I couldn’t see anything on the link, but copied the title and another link opened. Some gorgeous parks and places to walk in your city. I love the riverbank with the barges. I’m sure they’re little angels and not little devils.
Oh, my apologies, I tried again and the same thing happened, it went to the subscription page. How annoying and a bit underhand imo.

It crept into the low 30s C today, still just about comfortable, I hope it cools down tonight though.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:33 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

MLD- be sure to look after yourself- the HALTS stuff.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:21 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Marty, it’s such a concern when you’re on the board and helping choose who goes, I can understand your stressful ness, I hope it all works out for you.

Saou, that’s ok, no need to apologise. Some web sites don’t miss a beat trying to get us to sign up for something or other.

Yesterday was too hot for me, I didn’t end up going for a walk, I don’t fare well in heat, sadly. I wish I could be one of the people I see on beaches, sprawled out, soaking up the sun. I’m usually out and about early before it gets too busy and hot. I think I need to go live in Iceland or up Scotland.

See you later. Be safe.xx

Old 06-25-2020, 12:26 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry its so stressful Marty. It would be stressful for me. Hope you'll be ok tho.

D
Old 06-25-2020, 12:59 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Magsie

New thread

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ne-2020-a.html (Having a stress less, sober, weekend - Weekenders 26-29 June 2020)