Notices

New Beginnings, Sun Set, Sun Rise Weekenders 19-22 June 2020

Old 06-18-2020, 07:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Andy, Is the light in the sky from the middle of the city? We have steelworks here and there’s sometimes a glow in the sky at night from it.
no, that's from the sun, which is still well below the horizon, looking pretty much due East.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

I'm in for a sober weekend! The weather is going to be very nice, so I hope to finish painting my house. Can't do that while drinking...
Old 06-18-2020, 08:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in.
Feeling rather gloomy today. Work is stressful to the max. Trying to help the man friend come to terms somewhat with his DUI situation. I feel burdened. But it's all going to work out somehow.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20200615_122502LM.jpg (35.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 06-18-2020, 09:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

MLD, I suppose suggesting you block the man friend while he goes through this is over-kill?

Old 06-18-2020, 09:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

OK that made me laugh, Bim. Yeah, that's overkill.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
saoutchik

removed link

Welcome to Weekenders Lixie! Best of luck with the weather for the house painting.

I'm really glad the mother came back to the nest. Do you know what sort of birds they are? It's a bit late in the year for ducks.

So I have signed a petition to save a tree from being chopped down by developers which I know sounds dumb but it is a 150 year old local landmark which even has a name - The Happy Tree. I think trees are important so it better stay.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags, for another great OP.

So glad that the Mommy Bird returned to the nest. Good Momma.

andyh, nice eeeaaarrrlllyyy morning, pic.

Bim, that little video is adorable. Sweet cat.

Willow, Day 8 - well done. Power on!

Mamatembo - 11 weeks - fantastic!

Welcome, Lexie.

lunar, very content pup you have, there.

Sao, I hope that you are successful in your plight to save the old tree. Hats off to you for doing this. I am a tree hugger, too.

MLD, hope your man friend comes to terms quickly. As we have all learned from our own experiences, it is really our own responsibility to do so. Try not to let him weigh you down in the process; you have already your dues.

CaptainHaddock, I love Kaily’s sense of humor, too.

! Kaily.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:34 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I have signed it Sao. The builders (Berkeley homes) have a large housing development locally to me, they have taken down so many beautiful trees and bulldozed habitats of so much wildlife. They boast about how many new trees they are planting but they are no more than saplings and will take many years till they make any impact. Makes me very sad.

Save the tree!
Old 06-18-2020, 12:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
How does our Sobriety fit into it all?

We’re all different, and what works for one person doesn’t for another. Or as my dad used to say ‘One man’s meat is another man’s poison’.

Being sober may be a challenge, so preparation for when you think ‘nothing else in the world will do except a drink’, is important.
Thanks Mags, a fantastic opening post as usual! It was my Dad's leaving this planet anniversary recently (a year ago, still raw) and I'm bombarded with 'Father's Day' reminders on the internet. And I smiled when I read your Dad's quote above, because my Dad also said it! Plus my Dad also said "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail", which is your message today, maybe a sign? I don't know, but I liked your OP x.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:09 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Removed link

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
So I have signed a petition to save a tree from being chopped down by developers which I know sounds dumb but it is a 150 year old local landmark which even has a name - The Happy Tree. I think trees are important so it better stay
I've signed the petition, Saou, how could I not when its called The Happy Tree, plus I love all trees, the planet would be dead if they didn't exist! Edited to add, it makes me sad too, Kaily, saplings simply cannot replace a 150 year old tree, presently proposed to be condemned to a premature death.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. I've had a pretty good few weeks compared to the weeks previously where my head was all over the shop! Probably due to the fact I can get out a bit more and I've cut back on
the online stuff- haven't posted much here in a while either but it needed to be done, I was burnt out from it all, the work, online meetings; just too much looking at a computer screen.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:36 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I signed to save the HappyTree too ❤️
Old 06-18-2020, 04:28 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you Tatsy!

Thanks to everyone for your touching concern for the tree, the petition itself has reached 21,000 signatures which is good going for a single tree. I just hope they don't send in the men with chainsaws in the middle of the night or something although there are now people guarding it 24/7.

Good luck to them and good luck to anyone trying to stay sober this weekend. You can do it, SR and us here at Weekenders can help.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:46 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Nice work saou, im for saving the trees. I'm a fan of letting nature be as much as possible. I'll even "re-home" anything that gets in my house. I'm team save the spiders.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:32 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder guys that SR isn't really the place for petitions, fundraising etc.
It may seem mean spirited - but its not - it's about focusing on what we do here.

2.Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.

Its not being overly officious either.
We get a lot of people who sign up simply to use our large community for networking,

We don't allow that so it makes sense we don't allow things like this from our existing members either.

I removed the link Sao but anyone who is interested can PM you

D
Old 06-18-2020, 09:48 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Tatsy, that’s a great saying you’re dad used to say "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail", it says it all. Sorry you lost your dad. It will be raw. It’s heartwarming we can get guidance from their words.

Saou, I’m glad you told us about the ‘Happy Tree’ , I love trees. I’ve signed the petition too. (And shared it on fb) I looked at the other link and someone has took pictures of many trees round London, naming them.

lunar, love your dog. She looks so contented and happy with the world.

Reid, I’m glad you’re getting out a bit, it really does help I think, even just going for a walk.

Bim, I laughed out loud at your idea for Marty.

Marty, hope things get better with your man. Would it be worth him writing in a diary/journal his feelings?, putting it down in words may help give him some clarity.

I was a bit miffed yesterday. Someone knocked on the door and like a puppet I automatically went to answer it, temporarily not thinking of my shielding. It was a young parcel delivery man and he proceeded to talk to me, instead of just knocking and dropping. He was only about 6 feet away too. So now concern has kicked in that he could be asymptomatic (is that the right word?) and pass me the virus. Always the drama queen.

I do go out for a walk but with no one about except the trees and nature (and Mr. Mags) for company.

Take care and keep safe. xx
Old 06-18-2020, 09:49 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sorry Dee.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:11 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Lixie, I hope it stays nice for your painting.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:26 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone, Dee I'm sorry if my link unintentionally broke any rules. It was an article written about the tree which I thought might be interesting and not the actual petition although I expect you could probably access it via the article (I can't remember now) I just posted it as a point of interest, it was not my intention to gain signatures for the petition but I understand your reasoning.

Mags, it must be really easy to forget when people knock. If he was outside and you were sort of outside then I expect you have nothing to worry about. How are you coping with this situation Mags? It must be frustrating especially with some aspects of normality coming back elsewhere. I wonder if they will be relaxing the guidelines any time soon.