Notices

Right side of the Street, Weekenders 05 - 08 June 2020

Old 06-04-2020, 01:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Right side of the Street, Weekenders 05 - 08 June 2020

to the Weekenders

I remember the first time I flew on an airplane. My first thoughts, as the air hostesses and pamphlet described what to do in an emergency.

I was flabbergasted (shocked and surprised) to find you saw to yourself first. The oxygen mask went on you, first and foremost.

No buts or why’s.

Thinking soberly about it, yes that’s what I should do. How can I look after my family without any oxygen myself?

At the start of my (serious this time, never going back) sobriety, I didn’t focus on me fully. I wanted to help everyone else, as is my want, before I took care of me first.

Fortunately I found SR and the wealth of knowledge I gained from reading and asking.

I’ve mentioned this before, but the one thing that stuck in my throat and my mind was

“Keep your side of the street clean”.

I had a bit of a ‘metaphorical stomp my feet’ moment and it took me a long time to understand the full meaning of those words.

It was a few years before I had the ‘aah’ moment. I’d hidden behind booze for so long, I was still learning who I was!

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)

Old 06-04-2020, 02:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Mags

D
Old 06-04-2020, 02:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Thank you for the new thread, Mags!

Shotgun?!
Old 06-04-2020, 02:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Absolutely shotgun Midnight! Congratulations.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for this new chapter Mags!

This thread is like my oxygen mask before attacking the coming weekend!

I'm in for one more sober weekend, #183 to be exact.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello my lovely fellow weekenders

ive had quite a busy week and have just caught up on Mags last weekenders ! What a beautiful poem poem Mags ( I didn’t know you loved poetry too )

& had to laugh at Saou giving us the definition of Crapulent & crapulous from the dictionary , thanks Saou

xxxxx
Old 06-04-2020, 03:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Morning weekenders. Looking like a wet weekend here.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thread Mags
I remember when I first 'heard' you say about keeping one's own side of the street clean. I've probably heard the saying before but never given it much thought. It has kept coming up in my thoughts since though. Definitely something to keep in mind and think over, so thanks again
Old 06-04-2020, 07:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

haha. Bringing this over from the last thread:

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Good to see you Vinny, great tomatoes! I have never eaten an artichoke.. Sounds like your garden is awash with produce. Great therapy!

Bim I hope your eye is better today. You don't want to add a eye patch to your outdoor regalia..Sorry it conjures a picture in my mind of a lady walking round with just one eye left exposed. But seriously I do hope it is okay.

I was shocked at how busy the hospital was yesterday, talk about business as usual! I was understandably turned away at reception and my Dad had to go in on his own. When he came out about an hour later he hadn't used any hand sanitiser or washed his hands , I drove him home feeling a little uncomfortable.

Still waiting for rain for farmers, wildlife and my garden.

Happy Thursday.
Of course there are no borg gifs with surgical masks. And yeah, weirdly my eye is better. I might have gotten soap in it, or I might have been dehydrated. I'm super glad I panicked over something over which I had no control, though!

Well, your dad's hospital visit is done and dusted. I hope it all comes out okay.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hugh : "Resistance is not futile!"
Old 06-04-2020, 07:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know! Is that gif wrong? I thought Hugh was the rebel...but maybe he did say that, too.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks Mags.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I know! Is that gif wrong? I thought Hugh was the rebel...but maybe he did say that, too.
Early in the show he said "resistance if futile". Later in the show he said "resistance is not futile". Very fitting with the theme of having an 'aah' moment and Keep Your Side of the Street Clean. How big of a nerd does that make me to have had an epiphany from an episode of Star Trek?
Old 06-04-2020, 09:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In!
Excellent OP Mags, bad stuff happens doesn't it and sometimes the only way to know it was not caused by drinking is to not drink. A lot less bad stuff happens when you don't drink that's for sure. That's how I look at the clean street metaphor, like a scientific experiment that you don't want to be contaminated thus spoiling the result.

Congratulations on Shotgun MidnightBlue!

Good to see you Snoozy

Star Trek trivia (which I only found out recently) DeForest Kelly ("Bones") was offered the part of Mr Spock in the pilot movie and turned it down.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags.

Good to see you, MidnightBlue.

Kaily, praying for good news for your Dad. I’m a fan of artichokes - I steam them then pour a melted butter garlicky sauce over top, then sprinkle with Parmesan. There is an ‘art’ to eating them - pull leaves from stalk and the use your teeth to squeeze content of from bottom of leaf into your mouth. Deeeelish.

Artichoke hearts are great in crockpot recipes. They add a unique flavor.

It’s raining here, Kaily; hope that you get some soon.

Glad your eye is better, Bim. I have a friend who once had a paper cut on her eyeball. Still makes me shiver to think about it. She wore a patch for quite some time.

Can’t believe that we are beginning another Weekend, Weekenders. Seems that even COVID Time flies.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Early in the show he said "resistance if futile". Later in the show he said "resistance is not futile". Very fitting with the theme of having an 'aah' moment and Keep Your Side of the Street Clean. How big of a nerd does that make me to have had an epiphany from an episode of Star Trek?
Yes!

There were always both sides of the street in Star Trek. It was such a well-written show. NG is my favorite. I love the deep meaning of that series.

We were definitely lambs to the slaughter when under the influence, not even trying to resist. Lemmings. Borg.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Woke up and checked the Calendar to ensure it's Thursday. Yep.

I'm out of the Scene when I'm in Quarantine

Burma Shave

I had the serious Jones yesterday for some sort of Asian Food. So, we drove down to a known-good Thai Food Truck in another Town. Everyone cooking was masked up, and I just sat in the shade on a Brick Wall while waiting for Take Away. A LONG wait cuz these Folks are uber-busy. A stop later at the Market nearby was flat-out depressing. MAYBE 50% of Customers had Masks on. Mostly Geezers out mid-Day. But, quite like my Zen discipline on staying Sober, I just do what I gotta do to stay safe on my side of the Street while not getting caught up in what non-Scientific lunacy is around me. Thanks for this Sober Sanity reminder, Mags.

A real 'plus' of Sobriety is disciplined focus. Indeed, I look increasingly at only my side of the Street while not sweating extraneous malarky anymore. From an old Psych Mag Article:

'If happiness and compassion are your sole goals, lower your expectations.' - BAM!

COVID-19 means no more Pilates Classes for MesaMate pre-Vaccinations. So, she's settled on buying an uber-pricey Pilates 'Reformer' Pro Machine. My role is to ensure it fits into the Gym part of our Outbuilding here [it barely will], and confirm that I can assemble it. I can. Also, I've gotta negotiate with the Trucking Company to ensure Reformer delivery to our Rural Doorstep happens. Keeps me outta Jail. Not paying periodically for a couple of Years of private Pilates Classes will pay for this Reformer, so it's all a wash/investment eventually. YouTube Videos will have to back-fill any Training gaps. Not that there are many at this point. She's got another local Pal/Pilates Instructor she does Zoom stuff with, and they get together IRL at safe distance. The World has forever changed, and my job is to understand and roll with it.

All the Daytime heat makes for some interesting afternoon Storm build-up as seen below...

'Love Reign O'er Me' ~ The Who ~ Live Aid 1985

Old 06-04-2020, 12:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm in!

This will be my 3rd weekend sober and I've a nice craft project lined up to help be through it!
Old 06-04-2020, 12:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags!
Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Excellent OP Mags, bad stuff happens doesn't it and sometimes the only way to know it was not caused by drinking is to not drink. A lot less bad stuff happens when you don't drink that's for sure. That's how I look at the clean street metaphor, like a scientific experiment that you don't want to be contaminated thus spoiling the result.
Ain't that the truth, Saou!
Old 06-04-2020, 01:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
A real 'plus' of Sobriety is disciplined focus. Indeed, I look increasingly at only my side of the Street while not sweating extraneous malarky anymore. From an old Psych Mag Article:

'If happiness and compassion are your sole goals, lower your expectations.' - BAM
Thanks MesaMan, this is such a truism for me. Stoicism can reap contentment.