Notices

Right side of the Street, Weekenders 05 - 08 June 2020

Old 06-06-2020, 07:28 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

all. It is very wet on my side of the street this morning and we are under a flood watch. It is and has been pouring. The little ‘lakes’ in the neighborhood have risen significantly.

A beautiful great heron landed behind the house a few minutes ago. He or she is stunning. One flew by the lanai a few days ago; it was so close that it took my breath away. It was only a foot away from me at most. I suspect that was a once in a lifetime for me.

Have a beautiful day, all.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:59 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Those 'In Search Of" episodes with Leonard Nimoy were great.

Wet here as well SoberLeigh. Those herons, egrets, and cranes are cool.

I've thought that same exact thing bimini, about communicating how much better it is to quit.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:54 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Double Digits, day 10. Feels so good to feel good. Will be happy when good sleep returns. It is very hot and sunny here in Kansas City. We are going camping, or should I say "Glamping" tomorrow. Hubby & a couple of others will have beers. They can drink a few and leave it alone. I could't do that. I would drink 15 beers & still be functioning..... My tolerance to alcohol was so high, I almost couldn't get the buzz.....My poison of choose was beer & wine..... Oh well, I will not drink.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:00 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Well done, travelbug. Spoiler alert: Sobriety and recovery just keep getting better and better and. . . . Have fun Glamping.

Stay dry, Cityboy.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:38 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 10 days travelling. Hitting double digits is a good feeling

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Sober Saturday morning never gets old.
That cannot be repeated often enough. A hangover free Saturday and Sunday morning is priceless.

Like Leigh my side of the street is extremely wet now, it is the first substantial rainfall we have had for ages.

1938 8C 2900. The height of pre war motoring glamour in Europe.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20200606_183133-699x465.jpg (71.1 KB, 77 views)
Old 06-06-2020, 12:29 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Wow, very sharp and sporty looking, especially for 1938.

I remember you guys in the UK talking about the activity on V E day. June 6 seems to get more recognition than V E day in the states for some reason. Not much to-do about it today that I have seen, except for some shows on history channel. I think it's just overshadowed by other concerns right now.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:35 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Glamorous car, saoutchik

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_8C
Old 06-06-2020, 02:01 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders.

It's been a funny day today. Rain this morning, overcast this afternoon and then the sun decides to come out not too long before it's due to set.

I'm having a nice relaxing evening listening to the excellent Al Stewart, he of 'Year Of The Cat' fame. I'm listening to his 'Best Of' album on Spotify

https://www.discogs.com/Al-Stewart-T...elease/7544454

Little known fact which might surprise people in the UK. His first job in music was playing guitar in Tony Blackburn's band in the 1960s (yes, the cheesy Radio's 1 and 2 DJ Tony Blackburn!). And while Paul Simon was living in the UK in the 1960s he shared a house with Al Stewart.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39508001
Old 06-06-2020, 02:04 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

travelbug, what is "glamping?" Is it camping in posh fifth wheelers?

I had an uncle that dropped into the Normandy landings or D-Day in WWII. He was a paratrooper.

Years later in the late 1990s when he was in his seventies he visited the Seattle area for a reunion of his war buddies here at one of the military bases. I got to go along with him to the day-long trip to the military base. The young guys who were stationed at the base and who were also Airborne were very reverential toward these older guys who were telling the tales of WWII. It was quite moving to me to be there and see the interactions across generations. The young guys would have been their grandkids ages.

Anyway, I took my long walk early today, already did my Farmers Market produce shopping and ya know, the 45 minute cleanup of possible Covid cooties before putting anything away. Whew. Vegetables and fruits sorted. So many choices for dinner! I guess I need a shower first for cooties on ME.

I'm liking all the fancypants cars, Sao.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:30 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
travelbug, what is "glamping?" Is it camping in posh fifth wheelers?.
Glamping is a British word that is a portmanteau of "glamorous' and "camping". According to wikipedia the word first appeared in the UK in 2005 although I was not familiar with it until last year. It basically means posh camping.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glamping
Old 06-06-2020, 10:47 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Saou, cool cars, works of art.

Coldfusion, it must be lovely and quiet living in the dead centre of town?

Travelbug, enjoy your Glamping. Never been in one but seen some impressive Glamping tents on holiday programmes.

Leigh, I love that you’ve made things for your great grandkids.

Rainy and wet here still. We did have some sunshine for a short while yesterday though.

Stay safe. xx
Old 06-06-2020, 10:54 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you Robbie, I did not know that about Tony Blackburn. I was going to link with his song So Much Love on YouTube but after listening to it I decided not to.

Just a quick reminder to anyone who is at the beginning of their journey to getting sober or who wants to quit, it does get much easier. For me it was some point in the second month when I realised my mind had ceased obsessing about wanting to drink every evening. You are not condemned to a life of fighting the urge to drink.

1949 6C 2500 Villa D'Este

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20200607_063627-500x337.jpg (57.4 KB, 61 views)
Old 06-07-2020, 02:23 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

^
Great picture of another classic car.

Another horrible day outside. It's been raining all night and there are pools of water everywhere. April and May were two wonderful months, weather-wise in the UK, but June is turning out to now be a damp squib.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:30 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Wow, some mighty fine ‘wheels’ there. Those folks were riding in style.

Have a fine day, all.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:39 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Morning all. Had a good day yesterday. Today is day 11 but who is counting, right? Haha. We are going camping today for 3 nights with 2 other couples. Hubby & one other guys drinks beers, but nothing compared to what I used to. Anyway, I will be strong. Please send me good vibes to stay strong over the next 3 days. I won't be posting, but I will be reading this thread. I will be back on Wednesday. Stay strong, stay sober my friends.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:43 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Good vibes your way, travelbug!
Old 06-07-2020, 05:48 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hope you have a great trip travelbug. I used to love camping, but am now content to roast hot dogs and marshmallows in the yard (@lazy).
Old 06-07-2020, 07:02 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

travelbug, have fun. I would love a camping or glamping trip. I hope you see lots of wildlife and bring us pictures or stories.

It's raining here too, but then I live in a rain forest so it's to be expected. We don't really let it keep us in. Plus that means fewer people to avoid on my walks. I like rainy day walks in my rain jacket. Pitter patter on my hood.

If Saturday morning sober is good, then Sunday is delicious. I love Sunday. It seems quieter and gentler than the other days. Omelet for brekkie or porridge and eggs?
Old 06-07-2020, 08:00 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Determined to make today a sober one. Journaled today and am working on a self improvement plan for myself and my professional life as well (been put on a performance improvement plan at work b/c my performance dropped due to COVID lockdown/working from home).

That breakfast sounds amazing!
Old 06-07-2020, 08:05 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Welcome to Weekenders, SendSleep. My journal helped me a lot. Good idea!