Notices

Right side of the Street, Weekenders 05 - 08 June 2020

Old 06-04-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Star Trek trivia (which I only found out recently) DeForest Kelly ("Bones") was offered the part of Mr Spock in the pilot movie and turned it down.
ha ha you must have been watching the same programme as me earlier this week

Old 06-04-2020, 07:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is the first time I've felt equipped to be sober. I think it is because I'm finally able to shed some of the guilt I've always had about taking care of my needs. My needs were always last, really not dealt with at all, and I'd closet drink after a long day of putting myself last and hating the life I was creating.

It feels great to go to bed sober.

Here's to a successful weekend!
Old 06-04-2020, 09:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good morning Weekenders

Good to see you Mamatembo, congratulations on your third weekend.

Hiya harriet, how’s your crocheting coming along?

MesaMan, that’s a great picture. I think there’ll be a new norm for all of us from now on, I’m sure. I’m glad MesaMate can have her Pilates class social distancing.

In a way I quite like us all keeping our distance (definitely not the cause of it all, of course) I’ve been keeping away from people for a few years now because of my immunity system, allergic reactions and asthma. Stopping people coming into my ‘bubble’ is a good side of all of this. (On a purely selfish reason)

Saou, I like your view on the right side of the road.

Bim I found the cyborgs scary on Dr. Who.

It’s wet and rainy in this part of the UK. Looks like it’s here for the day.

Take care and please be safe. xx
Old 06-04-2020, 10:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm not really a Sci-Fi kinda girl. Give me a real life documentary, hospital programme or dare I say reality TV any day.

Thanks for the well wishes for my Dad, no news yet.

Good going Mamatembo.

Funny I am so used to social distancing in queues now that I have found myself subconsciously doing it in my car as well, leaving at least cars length between us at traffic lights etc, sometimes to the annoyance of others ha ha ... Things soon become habit.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you Zombie79, Mamatembo. Congratulations on your respective 3rd weeks.

Great photo MesaMan, it must good to wake up to that view every morning.

So as if there wasn't enough bad news around I wake up to the fact that 20,000 tons of diesel oil has been released into a river in the Russian Arctic. We really are a stupid species.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:03 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post

Hiya harriet, how’s your crocheting coming along?
Here's some of the projects I've got going on at the moment, the yellow/blue/green patchwork is for some chair covers for the kitchen I'm working on. Thanks for asking

photoupload

Old 06-05-2020, 02:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags!

Greetings, weekenders!

I'm in.
I went fishing at the reservoir yesterday, for the first time in 2020, @4:30 AM.

Light W winds, check.
No rain in sight, check.
Great weather, check.
Full-moon the night before- should've stood home.
Delirious from the sun, check.
Came home showered, ate, fell asleep 4 hours, and didn't know what day it was upon waking.

The action was slow.
We caught 4 smallmouth bass on ultra-light spinning tackle, always fun.
Fat 1.5 lbs. One large toothy pickerel, some bluegills. No lunkers.

Oh yeah, for those who have an interest in fishing, I tried a new line named Sufix 832 Advanced Superline.
I'll never use monofilament again.
10lb test is 4lb diameter mono equivalent
20lb test is 6lb mono equivalent. Casts like a rocket, no stretch. Withstands abrasion from rocks and fish teeth.
Must be tied to swivel, hook, lure, or whatever terminal tackle used, with a Palomar knot, an easy knot to tie.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Clinton06042020A.JPG (71.7 KB, 58 views)
Old 06-05-2020, 02:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That's a lovely idyllic photo, makes me feel quite at peace just looking at it lunar

Another piece of trivia incase it hasn't already been mentioned - this month's full moon is called a strawberry moon - due to it being strawberry picking season
Old 06-05-2020, 02:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Quote: "I remember the first time I flew on an airplane."
I remember the first time I flew on an aeroplane too. I was 16 and it was a school trip to France. I'll always remember the take off. The feeling of the seat pressed against my back as it went faster and faster along the run way. Then it took off, it was just WOW, I got goose bumps. I loved it, and after that I got goose bumps just watching planes take off at the airport, it was quite exciting and amazing to see how those huge machines could fly. Of course now that I'm old I don't get goosebumps anymore, but I still like to see planes in the sky.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:46 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I am working on keeping my side of the street cleaned. I have plenty of time on my hands. Newly Retired, about 6 weeks, NEWLY SOBER, 9 days. I have to live long enough to spend some of my pensions, right? 63 years old and haven't been sober for a while...a few days here & there but nothing to speak of. I am so tired of the dependency on alcohol. I had to plan everything around, when & what I was going to drink. NOT NO MORE! I am done, over it.....So, this is weekend 2. I am so thankful for SR. Thank you for your support.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:30 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Mrs Mags for an excellent OP.
Really appreciate your efforts here for us all. It's friday and work free in a few hours. Have a great day weekenders.

Nation of heat

https://youtu.be/1FoOK3NfgFQ

Old 06-05-2020, 04:51 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi fellow Weekenders - I'm in!

Thanks Mags for the thread. I'm certainly doing my best to keep my side of the street clean, figuratively and literally. I continue to work on my recovery every day 74 weeks in, and since lockdown our actual 'street' (or house at least) has never been cleaner...

All this talk of Star Trek and the Borg having revelatory moments reminds me of the time I briefly met Leonard Nimoy. He gave an evening talk at one of our Uni societies and I remember him having quite extraordinary presence. I was quite in awe and still am...

I went for a walk to the quayside here yesterday and saw that our local waterside burger bar has reopened. It has colourful new banners and cheery signage directing customers to a take-away only counter. It certainly cheered me up to see this post-Covid sign of life re-emerging amongst the rows and rows of shut outlets.

Stay close this weekend friends. Soberly onwards! Warm wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:16 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good to see you travelbug. Like you mention, everything was planned around my drinking routine.

Sounds like an enjoyable trip lunar. I'm going to look at that line and the knot you mentioned. I normally use Andy heavy line and Berkeley Big Game for light and medium line, and the same old knot the gardener guy taught me when I was a kid.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:25 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I’m in! Will be my first sober weekend in a bit. Looking forward to clear head and feeling rested for what Monday brings. Working from home requires more brain power than I would have ever imagined! 😅
Old 06-05-2020, 05:34 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Early congrats for having a sober weekend and a clear head on Monday citygirl.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:59 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in. A little late to the party. I had a day off from work yesterday and did not even touch my computer. Went to the "big city" to buy a new office chair for my home office, and went to a giant garden center to pick up a climbing rose bush for the trellis I am building. It was nice to be out and about. Got a few other things accomplished at home also. Mowed the lawn and worked on the trellis a little.

After sitting in the new chair for only about 15 minutes, I can tell it's going to make a big difference. I have a bulging disk in my upper back, between my shoulder blades. It generally doesn't bother me too much, a twinge here and there, but something about the ergonomics at my desk here at home was really irritating the nerves and I was having really painful days. I figured it had to be the chair that was causing the issue. I got it for free from a neighbor who set it out on the curb and realized after I got it home that the height was no longer adjustable. It seemed "ok" so I was going to live with it until going back to work. Not realizing I'd be home all summer. So I ponied up some cash and got something I can adjust every which way.Fingers crossed this is the answer. I might go get some acupuncture to get things tuned up in my back also. It's the only thing that actually helps this particular condition I have. I've tried a lot of different things in the 24 years since the minor car accident that caused the whiplash and bulging disc.

Thanks for the fishing update, lunar. I'll look into that fishing line. Of course I just put new monofilament on both of my reels... Going to get up really early tomorrow and go try a new lake with the man friend. after fishing 3 different times at the lake we went to last weekend and catching a grand total of 2 fish between us, we are giving up on it. We have a tip on a lake 35 miles north of us that's supposed to be fun.

Welcome to the Weekender, travelbug and citygirl! Hang around, it's a great place to be.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:33 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Mags, I used to watch the Dr Who with Tom Baker but haven't watched the newer ones.

Saoutchik, yea 20,000 tons of diesel fuel being spilled sounds like a great idea. I hope the environmental impact is minimal. The BP Deepwater horizon was close enough to me that I was fishing on Day 1 and could hear the coast guard radio traffic.

Kaily, I love the old mutual of Omaha type of documentary.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:01 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Mamatembo, citygirl and travelbug - so good to have you in Weekenders for another weekend! Any weekend alcohol-free is a good one.

Lots of great posts, I like it when everyone comes to the "meeting" here. I hope someone made coffee.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:58 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks Bimini.
We actually just bought a boat with a blue Bimini. I thought of you.

This will be weekend 9 sober for me. I feel confident going in. The biggest challenge will be that we are taking the neighbors out for a ride on the boat. The husband can be a bit of a pusher of alcohol. I'm debating "fake drinking" to avoid it. Which would basically be a soda in a coozy and saying, "I already have one, thanks".

​​​​​​
Old 06-05-2020, 08:01 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Spoiler

What is that thing up there that says "Spoiler" and looks like a quote when you click on the + sign? I can't get rid of it.

I am glad to be on my side of the street because on the other side is a cemetery.

Kaily, I wish all the best for your Dad.

My unemployment payments have been suspended pending verification of my ID. I heard this could take ten weeks to a year!

I have been working on setting up a 125-gallon aquarium. We bought it in our alcoholism days because my wife wanted Koi, but Koi didn't work and it ended up just having gold fish for ten years. It was rather sad because I was never able to clean the gravel properly, and the filters never worked very well. So now I have installed an under-gravel filter system and heaters, and we will get tropical fish. The water needs to become populated with beneficial bacteria for a couple weeks before we introduce fish, and first we will just get some hardy fish like Neon Tetras. Here's a link to a picture of a Neon Tetra: https://images.app.goo.gl/gkFvFGu1i4FrfJf4A.

Welcome to Weekenders, citygirl! Check in often during these first weeks!

Lunar, that fishing line sounds great! My fishing has been limited to shellfish gathering lately...

Stay sober everyone!