Notices

Right side of the Street, Weekenders 05 - 08 June 2020

Old 06-05-2020, 08:10 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
What is that thing up there that says "Spoiler" and looks like a quote when you click on the + sign? I can't get rid of it.

I am glad to be on my side of the street because on the other side is a cemetery.
<snip>

Coldfusion, that Spoiler works like this: Click the + below:

Spoiler

You must have accidentally clicked on the little + up in the Quick Reply tool bar.

This is awesome, and so true for us, eh:

I am glad to be on my side of the street because on the other side is a cemetery.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:22 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I mean I literally live across the street from a cemetery. My property corner is actually across the street ten feet into the cemetery, and that portion has graves dating back to the 1890's. Memorial day is the big holiday around here; we don't do Halloween.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:24 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

oh,

Well, my point stands on its own!
Old 06-05-2020, 08:45 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Good morning, evening, all.

Good to see everyone.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:07 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Shoot, I timed out:

lunar - really great photo.

Mamatembo, well done on Weekend#9. (I thought of the song Love Potion #9 as I typed that 😀.)

Welcome, travelbug and citygirl30.

Harriett - your crocheting is lovely. I imagine that you have many lovely creations.In another life, I used to make rugs and hooked wall coverings. The hooked wallhangings were a ‘thing’ in the 70s. I could easily go back to the 70s way of decorating - macrame hanging planters, macrame and hook wall hangings, beaded doorways - cool stuff.

Harriett, I remember my first plane ride, too. We were in a prop plane and encountered an ice storm; my Mom was crying as were other passengers. I was too young to truly grasp the severity of the situation but my Mom’s tears did raise an alarm as she rarely cried. We had to stop for de-icing and I remember the stewardess telling my Mom that the storm was over and it was safe to take-off again.

Have a great day, all.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:37 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I was up today with the proverbial Chickens. 99 F [37 C] Degrees today down in the Valley. The 'Strawberry Moon' was setting before Dawn, and that was really neat.

On the Road today early to knock off my daily Speed Walk Route. Wicked Wind Shear and Microbursts last Night around these massive Thunderheads that build up in heat, so that was exciting. I scouted around this Morning to pick up stuff that blew off the Patio.

I worked on the RV Trailer yesterday with A/C cranking to pretty-up some minor Carpentry Mods I did. Getting it prepped to camp at the CO Reservoir seen below. Those monster Lake Trout have been mostly cleared out because they nosh excessively on other Species. Good Fishing Line Tips here, so thanks for those! I wouldn't want to lose a Hook when I catch my usual soggy old Shoe, or something similar.-)

Sir Paul McCartney 'fesses up about Sobering up in this recent Song...

'Happy With You' ~ Sir Paul McCartney ~ (Lyrics)

Old 06-05-2020, 09:49 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

That McCartney song is a catchy little thing. Thx, MM.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:28 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Heck of a nice lake trout
Old 06-05-2020, 10:43 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks for the inspiring song, Mesaman! That trout presents quite a contrast to my Neon Tetras...

I just got off the phone with my State Senator's office about unemployment compensation problems. There is rampant fraud right now; a Nigerian crime ring stole $650 million ($300 million has been recovered). There are numerous police reports in our small rural community of people experiencing unemployment fraud. The Employment Security Department has realized that they haven't really confirmed the identity of beneficiaries, and they're now trying to catch up. They have requested ID and suspended payments for tens of thousands of beneficiaries, including me. I first collected unemployment benefits in 2008, and have done everything online and can't remember any kind of identity check. Anyway, I had heard reports that it was going to take ten weeks to a year to resolve the identity issues, and my Senator's office told me that was not the case. They were on a call to the Employment Security Department yesterday, and they have pledged to resolve all issues within a month. Communication form the Department is lacking or confusing, and they acknowledged this. I finally got information that the Work Search Directives I received by email and snail mail were in error, and I do not need to look for work. This is important, since there already were very few employers on the island and since COVID-19 there are many vacant storefronts.

I'm going to continue my house painting project today. I have mostly finished the walls, and now need to do the trim a different color. I haven't decided if I am going to do under the eaves--that part is truly a pain in the neck, and there is only one spot where it really needs to be done. But I have decided that I need to do as much of the fascia as I can reach, as that part is exposed to the weather. Right now, it's a little too cool and humid to paint but I can clean the fascia.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:46 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I am really sorry about your Unemployment Benefits situation, Coldfusion. What an absolute mess; it just adds misery and frustration to an already untenable situation.

Sending good thoughts your way.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:13 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders citygirl30!

My first flight was a school trip too to Ostend in Belgium. It wasn't a bumpy flight but it was very noisy as the aeroplane had propellers and only flew at about 5,000 feet/1,500 metres or so I reckon. It was a long time ago, pilot was probably one of the Wright brothers.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:50 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Nice Laker, Mesa!
Old 06-05-2020, 05:13 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mamatembo View Post

The biggest challenge will be that we are taking the neighbors out for a ride on the boat. The husband can be a bit of a pusher of alcohol.

​​​​​​
Not sure how I would compare on the "pusher" scale, but I was long the one that would have a cooler of beer, and possibly wine or apple ciders, if we were taking friends or family out in the boat and would certainly ask if anyone wanted anything. Thank goodness I can set a better example now.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:57 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

My side of the street is sober, my living space reflects my mind- organised chaos mostly. Paintbrushes, wet oil canvas paper studies drying where ever, 'to do 'lists...... I told a friend yesterday she needs to visit- as that is when I clean up.
First homegroup face to face meeting today- all VERY aware of social distancing.
Welcome to all the new post sharers.
Beautiful storm pic Mesa.
I remember the first revival Star Trek movies with the original cast- overweight, some with bad plastic surgery (it seemed), the stories were always the best part. The movies with Chris Pine were good.
Leonard Nimoy as the voice in 'In search of'....with prolonged music and those questions- more asked than facts sometimes.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:18 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Great photo of the lake, lunar. So peaceful. But so much going on underneath the water....it’s another world.

Harriet, thanks for the pictures. Some good projects you’ve started on there.

Marty, I’m glad you got to go out in your kayak, hope the new lake provides some interesting fishing.

MesaMan, wow! What a fish. Brilliant. I’ve never heard that Paul McCarney song, very true to our hearts.

We’ve got rain here on and off. I think it’s in for the weekend.

Love to all. Be safe. xx
Old 06-05-2020, 11:03 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Sober Saturday morning. A night of bad dreams and restless sleep.. Keep dreaming of ex husband and other ex's, no idea why but annoyingly it happens often. Leaves me tired and unsettled.

Great pics.

Sorry things are tough Coldfusion, hope they get resolved quicker than expected. Gotta say the exchange between you and Bim about I am glad to be on my side of the street because on the other side is a cemetery really made me giggle.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:23 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone, I hope you can get your unemployment benefits sorted out in a timely fashion Coldfusion, it must be concerning.

Happy Birthday to Alfa Romeo who are 110 years old this month. I will post a few pics of some pretty road-going ones over the weekend starting with this one - a Tipo 33 Stradale from 1967-69. They only built 18 of them. Enzo Ferrari said its only flaw was that it had the wrong badge. They are very valuable now.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20200606_071933-488x366.jpg (63.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 06-06-2020, 01:24 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Harriett - your crocheting is lovely. I imagine that you have many lovely creations.In another life, I used to make rugs and hooked wall coverings. The hooked wallhangings were a ‘thing’ in the 70s. I could easily go back to the 70s way of decorating - macrame hanging planters, macrame and hook wall hangings, beaded doorways - cool stuff.
Thanks SoberLeigh, you say the kindest things . I do like some of the things I'm making though I actually prefer the look of knitted things especially for clothes, it has a much better look. I just don't have the patience to knit as it takes me much longer than crochet and I find the needles awkward to hold whereas a crochet hook is more comfortable and you can't drop a load of stitches.
I love a lot of macrame things that I see on the internet now and would love to do a big wall hanging sometime - when I get around to it! Wow, you made rugs too, something else I've never got around to but would like to. Do you still have any of your earlier creations?
I love a lot of the 60's and 70's looks (though they can keep the flares and I've gone right off platform shoes) A lot of it is quite reminisent of the art nouveau and arts and crafts movement of the late 19th early 20th century. I just love art nouveau style everything.
I suppose I think of the looks altogether now as Boho, though if I was still drinking it might be more hobo ...

Old 06-06-2020, 05:59 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Sober Saturday morning never gets old. So grateful this morning to have this long period of sobriety on which to go forward. I read the stories in Newcomers when someone is still struggling with quitting and I wish I could convey how much better it is to not ever have to deal with the morning after and all the fears and troubles alcohol brings.

And I'm still on this side of the cemetery grass, so that's good.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:15 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Harriett, I still have two of my rugs but none of the wallhangings. The largest one (a 5x7) I am saving to give to one of my grandkids when they launch; they are still quite young so it will be a while. The other, I am saving for my first great grandchild (wow; that is quite the thought - not too sure I will ‘see’ that but it is nice to know that my kids want that to happen). It was one I made for my daughter’s room when she was a child.

I made quite a few for baby shower gifts for friends and family and made one for each of my grandchildren.