Notices

Fear

Old 04-06-2020, 04:34 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Simply awesome Dee. You are the man. You are unique on the internet to me. It is rare to see some one help so many folks without even being asked. Thank you Dee. Thats great that you got and remained sober all this time. You were in rough shape lol.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:58 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 13 years sober man!! You’re an inspiration 🙏
Old 04-07-2020, 09:15 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
EndGame

Knowing what I do about your story, about how you got here, tells me everything I need to know about the very good man you've become.

Congratulations. And thank you
Old 04-07-2020, 09:19 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Once again thank you all

There's probably an alternate timeline where I didn't find this amazing community and kept on drinking and toking.

I would not like to be that guy right now.

D
Old 04-07-2020, 10:25 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi Dee,

Congratulations on 13 years. That has always been my favorite number, and since you’re one of my favorite people on SR it seems even more special.

Thank you for always being a voice I’d reason and support, and congratulations on 13 years of sobriety!!

❤️ Delilah
Old 04-08-2020, 03:46 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Congratulations and thanks for all your help and support on the forum. Your posts have been very helpful to me over the past few weeks.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:29 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I don't know how I missed this, seems all I'm doing is staring at a computer screen 24/7 right now.

Blessings to you and well done on ticking off another year. Like there was ever any doubt.

We all love you at least as much as you love us.

If I am living one half second in the future or one half second in the past I'm living in illusion and illusion is the province of fear.

Difficult to stay present right now, when the present seems threatening. These are tough times. We are all bouncing around, emotionally. I am super grateful that I haven't once thought a drink would be a good coping strategy.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:39 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Congratulations. What a phenomenal achievement. You are so valued and needed here. Not only did you get sober, but you came back with a vengeance and became the best sobriety cheerleader/educator there is. It seems you’re one of the ones that maybe something really really really really great came from your addiction. I don’t know if you get what I’m trying to say. Like when John Walsh’s son was kidnapped and murdered, what a horror. But he built America’s Most Wanted and THOUSANDS of “bad guys”, as he calls them, were ripped off the streets bc of him. Countless more tragedies were averted, thanks to this special show he built. All of this happened bc of the tragedy his family endured. Anyway, I’m so sorry you had to live through addiction. But it also seems like there was a real reason behind. You’ve now helped save thousands of others. And I am not exaggerating. There are thousands of people who have come on this website and read your words and been affected by them. So from all of us, thank you.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:50 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Congratulations on lucky number 13 Dee! You're always right there to support anyone on this site and am glad you're doing better with the fear. : )
Old 04-08-2020, 09:33 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I held back on commenting on this thread for awhile, but I have some thoughts on fear. I've mentioned fear in my posts, it can be a great motivator, it can also be debilitating. Just because of my own life experiences, I don't experience fear much anymore. Its in god's hands. I refuse (maybe out of stupidity) to be afraid of the boogey man. So here's a riddle for you, I could literally have someone pointing a gun at me and would not feel fear, but if I'm on the 5th floor of an apartment building, I won't even go close to the deck or patio. I'm deathly afraid of heights.

My wife and I are TOTAL opposites. She's making us change shoes in the garage, wiping down everything everyday, washing hands constantly etc...I play along, but think its totally unnecessary. I do my best everyday to assure her we are not going to die, and it seems to work. So for this married couple is total ying and yang of life. We compliment each other.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:26 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I've completely missed this thread until now... just shows how selfish I am

Thank you very much for sharing this, Dee. I am glad that you have worked through the fear reasonably well. If there is any completely realistic, valid fear and ongoing challenge, this is certainly one.

Congrats on the 13 years, that's certainly not a minor achievement. We all are very grateful for everything you do on this forum!
Old 04-08-2020, 10:46 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Aellyce2 View Post
I've completely missed this thread until now...
Me too. The thread title scared me.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Dee,

You are a super hero and one of the so many reasons why is that you are brave enough to be vulnerable, like this thread shows.

You have the complete respect of this entire forum, odd balls and knuckleheads that we might be.

It is hard for me to even imagine you ever were not the Dee we know and in that sense 13 years seems short to be what you are.

Thank you.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:26 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hugs across oceans Dee. You rock.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:30 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

Didn't mean to scare anyone - I'm rock solid here

Thanks again everyone!

D
Old 04-09-2020, 06:14 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
waking down

Awesome, Dee.

As the Tibetans say, "The path to fearlessness is through fear."
Old 04-09-2020, 06:42 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Dee, thank you for sharing your vulnerability. I too have felt fearful because I have 'underlying health conditions' that apparently place me at greater risk, should I contract COVID-19.

Dee, I'd most likely have died of alcoholism, had you not intervened last year. I feel I owe my life to you for your kindness in sending me that email, offering me a lifeline, that I grasped, and thus survived.

I'm just reading SR presently, but one day, I hope to engage more.

Dee, massive congratulations on your 13 years sober!
Old 04-11-2020, 09:04 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
p***enger

^^^ bump.

I'm reading through this thread again tonight, wanting to learn from someone I admire about how true it is fearful in the COVID-19 world, and to admit fear, and not to need drink or drugs or non-sober actions to cope.

I figure if it helps me to read it, it might help someone else.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:42 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Late to this thread sorry! Just wanted to congratulate you Dee on 13 years, wow. Also, very importantly, thank you for all you do here and stay safe.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:53 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

A belated congratulations on your 13 years Dee. And thanks for all the hard work you do here at SR.