Notices

Joint pain

Old 04-13-2020, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Joint pain

Hi everyone, my sober days are not that flash . iam not binge drinking anymore to blackout state everyday, but i am still going through a bottle of red wine per night. This has caused me to have very disruptive sleep and to top it off my body is in PAIN.

every joint in my body feels like it has arthritis especially my hips. (iam 29, male, not overweight)

The night before i woke up with short breath and with every breath my back muscles spasmed. i also had that typical "Adrenalin -cant sleep alcohol feeling"

Can anyone relate to this kind of muscle/joint pain with excessive alcohol consumption?

Just to note - i have 3 herniated disks in my lower back.

I have mild degeneration in my right hip cartlidge and leg to hip cartlidge - I dont think this is helping.

Doctor know about all issues, but of course they dont know about my addiction so iam hoping that some sobriety will take the pain away and give me some clarity as i was reading some facts on drinking and joint pain.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Railtek. This isn't medical advice or anything, just me seeing commonality.

I have problems with my joints - knees, ankles, hands - and have since I was 28 (I'm 40 now). Arthritic condition and occasional gout. Cider and red wine made both conditions worse. 10000 worse. Like unable to move worse!!

The other thing is worth considering is non-causal links. Alcohol depresses people, by its nature. It made me eat worse and exercise less. I felt **** all the time. The link between psychology and physiology is clear. Feeling **** all the time mentally had a big impact.

Im 46 days sober. Joint pain still here and if I try to run or walk too far it flares up. Probably always will. But I'm doing all the right things physically and mentally and it is manageable. And I'm pleased I know I'm not making it worse through my lifestyle, I'm actively supporting feeling as young as I can 👍
Old 04-13-2020, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that stopping drinking could help with the pain you are experiencing. And if not, in sobriety, you will be better able to figure out, with the help of your doctors, what is going on with your body. Alcohol can affect us in so many ways.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I seemed to get joint inflammation when I was drinking. Same type of thing, felt like arthritis was everywhere.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Rail -

I would very respectfully suggest that you vigorously seek sobriety first.

As in right now.

It sure sounds like you're enduring a miserable existence.

I got sober when I was a couple of years older than you are now.

I sure wish I had been smart enough to get sober when I was your age.

If you want to get sober, SR is a great place to start and to get some very helpful pointers.

After getting help for your drinking problem, you can continue to explore your joint problems with your orthopedists (I still do as needed, but I'm 63).

And you can be entirely honest with your doctors.

I used to only give my doctors as much information as I thought they needed, and that seldom included the fact that I was highly intoxicated everyday and had been for years. I mean, really, if they don't ask that specific question, i assume they didn't want to know whether I had been drinking pathologically for years, right?

We're here to help you, my friend, at least with your sobriety and recovery - if not your joints.

Please hang out here and try to get sober, brother.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Drinkign alcohol the way I did (and I suspect you do) made my arthritis and gout and various joint aches and pains worse.

Quit the booze completely Railtek - you certainly find improvement, in a little while, if not a complete turn around.

D
Old 04-13-2020, 10:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm about 9 months into my quit and my joints [Ankles, hands, knees and shoulders] hurt way worse then they ever did when I was drinking. I have an appt this afternoon with a Physician about this.
The nice thing is, if I were drinking, I wouldn't be going to the doctors to get this or anything checked out. I actually don't have a medical record any more to speak of because it's been so long since I have been to a doctor that I don't know who the last one was.
On a side note, my Google-Fu also might suggest gum disease may be part of it [the joint pain] but that appt may have to wait because of the current issues going on in the world because this may be considered elective.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good day Railtek,
Sorry to hear you are suffering, I was you just over a month ago. Bulging discs in cervical which I thought was the source of all my physical pains, literally from head to toe. Today, 99.9% of my pain is gone and I am in the best shape I have been in a long time, both physically and mentally.