Notices

Remembering the good bits - Weekenders 10 - 13 January 2020

Old 01-11-2020, 05:01 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Sober Saturday morning. I won't say it.

But it never gets old.

Welcome to Water Ox and dontlookbacchus.

If you put your head on the pillow tonight sober, you've gotten it right today.

Easy peasy. You can do anything for 24 hours.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:43 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome dontlookbacchus
Old 01-11-2020, 01:37 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Sunday morning here, just popping in to say good morning before I head off to a yoga class. I’ll come back later and see how everyone is doing
Seeya a bit later weekenders
Old 01-11-2020, 02:18 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I am so glad we are remembering Kathy today. I think of her as my sober angel, and so it seems appropriate that in two days I will mark my six month sober-time after many many relapses.

WaterOx--you just don't quit quitting and eventually it will stick. Keep modifying and improving your plan and be kind to yourself as you go. Know that urges pass, and sobriety does get easier with each urge resisted.

I feel kind of odd here at the beginning of a new decade. Today I'm at the lake and the whole thing--water, sky, atmosphere, landscape are a pewter grey and the waves are pounding hard on the shore, almost like the ocean. Nothing holds still even when it appears to, and when it doesn't, it really accelerates the feeling of time passing.

It all makes me think of of Sylvia Plath poem that I love, which I copy here:

Blackberrying

Nobody in the lane, and nothing, nothing but blackberries,
Blackberries on either side, though on the right mainly,
A blackberry alley, going down in hooks, and a sea
Somewhere at the end of it, heaving. Blackberries
Big as the ball of my thumb, and dumb as eyes
Ebon in the hedges, fat
With blue-red juices. These they squander on my fingers.
I had not asked for such a blood sisterhood; they must love me.
They accommodate themselves to my milkbottle, flattening their sides.

Overhead go the choughs in black, cacophonous flocks—
Bits of burnt paper wheeling in a blown sky.
Theirs is the only voice, protesting, protesting.
I do not think the sea will appear at all.
The high, green meadows are glowing, as if lit from within.
I come to one bush of berries so ripe it is a bush of flies,
Hanging their bluegreen bellies and their wing panes in a Chinese screen.
The honey-feast of the berries has stunned them; they believe in heaven.
One more hook, and the berries and bushes end.

The only thing to come now is the sea.
From between two hills a sudden wind funnels at me,
Slapping its phantom laundry in my face.
These hills are too green and sweet to have tasted salt.
I follow the sheep path between them. A last hook brings me
To the hills’ northern face, and the face is orange rock
That looks out on nothing, nothing but a great space
Of white and pewter lights, and a din like silversmiths
Beating and beating at an intractable metal.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:25 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Wonderful imagery there Hawkeye

Sober Saturday, accomplished so much even my car is clean. First full sober week, pretty rough, low energy. I can’t even remember when drinking was fun, hasn’t been fun in a long time. However, this close to my full relapse it’s difficult to not hear the loud AV say “come on everything will be more fun” ........Not today satan!
Old 01-11-2020, 09:05 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hawkeye, thanks for sharing BlackBerrying. It intrigued me, wanting to know more and found her book ‘The Bell Jar’ on Amazon, which I’m going to download....congratulations on your upcoming 6 months! xx
Old 01-11-2020, 09:07 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
... I've been through this so often I wonder if I should bother anymore..
Please continue to bother, your worth it.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:10 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Yes, keep bothering WaterOx. I’ve had a few stumbles along the way too, but we need to keep trying.

Blackberrying was lovely Hawkeye, thank you
Old 01-11-2020, 09:18 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
...Magnificent post from our friend MesaMan yesterday celebrating 6 years :
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...hanks-sr.html# (Six Years Today ~ Thanks SR)...
Thanks for the link Vman.
.."Sobriety is the proverbial 'Gift That Keeps On Giving'. "..
Brilliant.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:34 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

^ seconded
D
Old 01-11-2020, 09:35 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Lovely words from Gilly, Mags.

BOTHER Waterox! Bother us- often, here. A much safer option.

Well I have finished my good deed stuff. A friend of mine (with a Master's degree, mind) moved into a 1br flat- downsizing from a 3br townhouse. Only prob was- she did not realise until after she signed the lease- that it was furnished. So for the moment- my spare bedroom is a storage facility.

The weather is more mild today, which is good. Gym work going well- have to get back into a routine again and start art with rules practice. With my shot memory- what others find easy., I struggle with, so this is a must do..I have 4w.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:45 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning Weekenders.

4 months sober today 👍

I handed in my notice at work.
Came as a very big shock to them after 17 years. On my way into unknown territory but with a sense of relief and adventure.
No more endless traffic jams and wading my way through office life sat behind 4 screens 🤞

Happy Sunday
Old 01-11-2020, 11:47 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on 4 months Vinny! Good for you, handing your notice in. Looking forward to your new adventures
Old 01-12-2020, 12:17 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome dontlookbacchus!

Congratulations on 4 months VMan, great stuff. Ditto on your decision to hand your notice in, good luck.

I have just read an article in Medical News Today that links alcohol to depression more strongly than ever. If anyone needs an additional reason to quit there it is.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:04 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Congrats on both counts Vman!! There’s plenty of remote home working opportunities going to be coming over to Europe in the next few years with ir35 hitting in April and brexit. You’ve made a brave decision and I am really proud of you xx
Old 01-12-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Just checking in on my Sunday am.
Congrats Vman for such exciting milestones.

Thanks Sao, and Mags. It is great to see the weekenders thread still thriving
Old 01-12-2020, 05:13 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Hawkeye, thanks for sharing BlackBerrying. It intrigued me, wanting to know more and found her book ‘The Bell Jar’ on Amazon, which I’m going to download....congratulations on your upcoming 6 months! xx
"The Bell Jar" -Well there's a depressing book if ever I've read one. I read that in the 70s and it stuck with me a while. It's a descent into madness...her story is not one for the weak of spirit. And now I've ruined it for you. You're welcome. Of course I was in my twenties and it was pretty heavy stuff. I probably had no business reading it!

Speaking of...my anxiety was off the charts when I woke up this morning. Winter. Bah. Oh well, I've survived several decades of winters so far; I'll survive this one, right? Right.

Hang on everyone who has a struggle. We're all in this together! Forward we go.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:08 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Sober Sunday, day 8. Going to the gym today, plan on some cleaning. Sticking to my routine. I was reading that Brad Pitt is now over a year sober. He thanked Bradley Cooper, who quit drinking at 29, for getting him through and AA at the golden globe awards last Sunday. None of us are immune to alcohol ruining our marriages and relationships. I can’t imagine with all that money and access to travel and party wherever whenever.... yet staying sober. It’s traveling that triggers my relapse every time. So unfortunately traveling can’t be done for awhile.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:26 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, I saw the book was partly based on her own life. Did I read that she wrote it before she committed suicide? I wonder if it was a cry out from her. I’ll make sure I read it when I’m in a positive mood. If it gets too heavy I’ll stop.

mariposa, so true, no one is immune from alcoholism. When I was young it was thought an alcoholic was someone roaming the streets with a bottle in their hands. Whereas we know people from all walks of life can be one....it doesn’t discriminate.

Just watched last night’s tv programme ‘the singer behind the mask’. I wasn’t really interested but after watching I’m wondering who they all are? Could Queen Bee be Emilia Clarke from Game if thrones. I saw her sing in an advert at Christmas and she was brilliant? Anyone watching it?
Old 01-12-2020, 09:33 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hey Sunday_zers ~

I was doing my daily reading here, and wanted to thank Vman and everyone for their kind words. It was satisfying to hit the Six Years Sober mark; especially when it feels so much like The New Normal. Ya can't slip back into patterns that have zero appeal. I sure can't, anyway...

Part of The New Normal yesterday was to shake and bake, and replace our failing Microwave Oven. I got another G.E. brand, but it's the usual Countertop style. Not like the prior, 12 Year-old built-in. So, I'll have to dust off my House Building skills to pretty up the new in-Cabinet installation with some Wood Trim to simulate a built-in look. I'm up for that. It was too chilly of a walk out to use the Microwave in the RV Trailer when it's 10 F [-12 C] Degrees in the morning.

* In Breaking News, I just got the old Oven out, and the new one set in, sans Trim Cosmetics. Hot Coffee good! *

Besides the new Oven Shopping taking about all Day, I stopped by and gave *Foster Dog* below his daily Biscuit Treat. He lives down in Town on a 20' Chain, so I try to bring a lil light to his life by stopping to deliver some pets, and have a chat. His most basic needs appear to be met, but that's it. For Dog Lover me, it's actually a sort of Sober Detachment Discipline. Put a lil Kindness out into The Universe, and mentally leave it at that. As difficult as that is on some very cold Days when he's always outside.

Thanks for the Theme this Week, Mags. A sidebar riff on it, to me, interleaves with this bout of Shingles I'm enduring. Hopefully, now on the tail end of it, since the staggering Nerve Pain is reducing. Getting Pain Medicine for those of us who 'need it' is a real challenge; thanks to the Opioid Crisis. My point, and I do have one: making it through the very difficult early Stages of Sobriety presented a new Benchmark. A new Stake in the Sand. That is, are events like battling Shingles tougher than - or easier than - early Sobriety? Thus far - 6 Years in - anything/everything is easier than early Sobriety. Yet another bonus to getting Sober...

~ Things Can Only Get Better ~ Howard Jones ~