Notices

Remembering the good bits - Weekenders 10 - 13 January 2020

Old 01-09-2020, 08:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

That sticker is available online, MLD.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Found and ordered, Bim. I'm not a big one for putting stickers on my car. I'll make an exception for this one.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
saoutchik

IN!

Welcome to Weekenders PeaceManic. I can certainly relate to waking up secure in the knowledge I have not said anything, posted anything or done anything insane because of alcohol.

Ralph looks like a smart chap, in a Top Cat kind of way.

There is a live "In memory of Gilmer" thread on the Newcomers Daily Support section which is where all the Class of... threads go to after a month and so other threads on it tend to get missed by folks. I really miss Gilmers no nonsense insights.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone

Went to bed with the smell of smoke and woke up to the smell of rain ! Went outside, only a few drops, but that smell is divine
Old 01-09-2020, 01:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Oh, man, prayers for lots and lots of rain, Snoozy.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Evening all. I'm in!

Thanks Mags for the thread. I am thinking of posting a list of my favourite good experiences from my first year of sobriety. For now I'll share the most recent:

I was having an anxious and somewhat fretful day yesterday so took some time out to walk to the waterfront. I sat on a bench and watched a merchant ship coming slowly in to port. The pilot boat from the docks sped out to it and the pilot climbed on board. I sat and watched as the ship skilfully navigated across the bay and reflected that I was lucky to be there.

So what you may ask? Well it is actually in my mental health care plan to do just this from time to time and it worked. The sense of peace and grounding in the present that resulted really smoothed out my perspective on things. This wouldn't have been the case when I was craving alcohol 24/7. Gratitude indeed.

Anyway, hopes for more rain for you Snoozy. I must read some of Gilmer's past contributions - she sounds like a bit of a hero.

Warm wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Thanks Mags.
Very happy to be here with you folks this weekend. ✌️����

I dont know if it's inappropriate but it's Gilmer's anniversary on saturday so I just wanted to say she is missed. To any of the more recent weekenders Gilmer (Kathy) was an avid weekender and opened many weekender threads, she passed away (cancer) on Jan 11th 2019 way too young. There are many remembrance threads open and the very last thread which ran to 13 or 14 parts, A Different Path, is archived somewhere here on SR.
Live on memory of Kathy

See you all later
The best of SR forum (bottom of the main forums page) has all the Different Path links.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ilmer-rip.html (Gilmer RIP)

There's an ongoing thread in the Daily Support forum
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-3-a.html (The Gilmerites....in memory of Gilmer Part 3)

and also a thread in the Memory Garden forum
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ng-gilmer.html
Old 01-09-2020, 04:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forwards View Post
Evening all. I'm in!

Thanks Mags for the thread. I am thinking of posting a list of my favourite good experiences from my first year of sobriety. For now I'll share the most recent:

I was having an anxious and somewhat fretful day yesterday so took some time out to walk to the waterfront. I sat on a bench and watched a merchant ship coming slowly in to port. The pilot boat from the docks sped out to it and the pilot climbed on board. I sat and watched as the ship skilfully navigated across the bay and reflected that I was lucky to be there.

So what you may ask? Well it is actually in my mental health care plan to do just this from time to time and it worked. The sense of peace and grounding in the present that resulted really smoothed out my perspective on things. This wouldn't have been the case when I was craving alcohol 24/7. Gratitude indeed.

Anyway, hopes for more rain for you Snoozy. I must read some of Gilmer's past contributions - she sounds like a bit of a hero.

Warm wishes to all. Forwards.
Forwards , i just loved this post. You explained it so beautifully and i really went there in my imagination. Almost like i had seen it myself.

Thanks so much for sharingvthat awesome moment in time with us. I felt it was really something special
You're doing everything right with your continued recovery my friend xxxx
Old 01-09-2020, 07:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

After work on a Friday, my normal drinking booze for sure time but not today, currently sitting on an AF drink and reading SR whilst waiting to go to a full moon group tonight with a bunch of ladies I've never met before..
The energy will be intense for the next 14 hours so stay alert people...lol
Old 01-09-2020, 08:02 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Oh Snoozy, the smell of rain, beautiful. Prayers for much much more rain where needed in Australia, lovely. xx

Forwards, I felt like Snoozy too upon reading your post. I was there with you too! It’s a good feeling being here in the present, in the ‘here and now’. We see and appreciate everything around us.

I love to just sit for a while and watch the birds feeding from at the tree in my garden. It brings to mind a short poem I heard around 30 years ago, I’ve always remembered it. It goes

“I looked at a robin, watching it feed
And thought to myself, how different indeed
Are we to this creature, and I had to concede
Man takes what he wants...bird takes what he needs”

Dee, thanks for all the links. I’d forgotten about the memory garden.

Saou, I loved watching Top Cat as a kid, I’m now singing the song in my head! Officer Dibble.

It’s Friday, that’s POETS day where I used to work! The office staff went home an hour earlier!

Have a good day x
Old 01-09-2020, 08:08 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Magsie

Red, that’s sounds an interesting way to spend an evening. Enjoy yourself.x
Old 01-09-2020, 08:32 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Red, that’s sounds an interesting way to spend an evening. Enjoy yourself.x
I guess it is different from the 'norm' but that's me lol I'm a bit witchey and spiritual..
Old 01-09-2020, 09:09 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Magsie

Red, Witchy and spiritual is good, in my book.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:11 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Oh my heck Snooz, I looked away from my computer and then looked back to see that photo of the cat. I about jumped out of my chair! LOL.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:40 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning Weekenders.
Thanks for the links D.
Hoping also for more rain in Oz.
Later folks
Old 01-10-2020, 01:01 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Red, Witchy and spiritual is good, in my book.
My book too Mags.. Keeps me grounded and happy and focused on bettering myself..
Old 01-10-2020, 01:09 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post

Magssssssss i just learnt how to post pics lolololol ......yesssssss!!!!!!

This is my siamese cat RALPH . He's a weirdo
A totally adorable weirdo! ❤️
Old 01-10-2020, 03:42 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Morning all, Happy Friday. Off to work then grocery shopping with Mrs D. I use to do the Friday evening shopping by myself, I would get a little cash back from the checkout and go buy my booze. Tho it takes a little longer now (Mrs D. likes to browse) I'm grateful for the company and it helped to keep me sober in those early days.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:55 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

It's Friday morning here, nearly 6 AM.

There is no chance that I will pick up a drink today or in the next two days. None whatsoever. I just can't imagine blowing it all up again, so yeah. No chance.

Today is laundry day. I actually like doing laundry, so there's that. I have so much food here, and that's good because there might be a dusting of snow! This area doesn't do well with any snow. I just worry about power outages, which are too common here where I live.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:16 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, I won’t be drinking either. Do ya like ironing too!