Notices

Remembering the good bits - Weekenders 10 - 13 January 2020

Old 01-12-2020, 09:41 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Dangit, Mesa. I knew a dog like that when I was a kid. I used to bring her stuff and just sit with her...she was on a six foot chain in the neighbors' back yard, chained to her dog house year round in western Pennsylvania. Her name was Daisy and she was a really sweet, submissive black and white bird dog mix. I dreamed of letting her loose, but that wouldn't have ended well either.

When I worked at the animal shelter I had to use emotional detachment to be able to go there every time. I finally came to the place of, "I can't save all of them. I do what I can."

Some people should not be allowed to have animals.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:30 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Congratulations Vinny! I’m excited for you, you’re on the cusp of a great new chapter of your life

Thanks Mesa, the idea of everything getting easier than early sobriety is very appealing

Monday morning here and a busy day ahead. See you all later
Old 01-12-2020, 06:48 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Congrats and wow Vinny, I'm looking forwarded to hearing about your adventures.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:52 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your new chapter and your milestone VMan

D
Old 01-12-2020, 09:05 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks everybody that's really nice of you all.
It's 06h00 here and I think it must be -3 or-4 °c this morning. I can feel the crispness. Looking forward to sunrise to see everything frosty and white
Old 01-13-2020, 02:05 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

congrats Vinny.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:30 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Congratulations, Vinny - on the 4 months, and the exciting job news! Are you starting a business of your own? What's your plan? You probably explained it all already, but I must have missed it.

And congratulations again on 6 years, MM. Your dog friend is lucky to have you, as are we here at SR. And thanks for the Howard Jones. It's a nice little picker-upper here at work on a sort of gloomy Monday.

I'm actually in a pretty good mood today. The football gods smiled on us Wisconsinites over the weekend. First, the Vikings lost and are out of the playoffs (they are rivals) and then yesterday, the Packers fought hard and managed to win. Next week will be a tough and scary game. I'm not super hopeful. But I'm impressed they got as far as they have, with a brand-new head coach and quarterback who admits his timing has been a bit off all season.

Beyond football, I'm just feeling super grateful for sobriety today. I was thinking a lot about my friend who committed suicide in October yesterday, and feeling sad and also relieved that I quit before the demon of depression led me down that same road. For me, drinking and depression were inextricably linked. I was horribly unhappy and depressed for years, also had a serious anxiety problem. Within WEEKS of quitting alcohol, I felt like the clouds were lifted. It was almost miraculous to me. I had forgotten how to feel good. If I ever think about drinking (almost never now) I just remember the misery of not wanting to wake up in the morning, and being disappointed when I inevitably did, every day. I never had a plan to take my own life, I just wished I'd fade away.
So I'm happy to be here today.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:25 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sorry about your friend Marty, I was going to link to the article about alcohol and depression but frankly it was a tough read so I decided not to. I too am in a good mood, not only is Monday over but I have been asked to quote on a big order from The Netherlands, as I say just a quote but they have used us before, quite recently too so fingers crossed.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:32 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hello gang,

Well that's another constructive sober weekend done (no. 55). Congrats Vinny on your 4 months and also to Mesa - I enjoyed your 6 year thread.

I'm in a good mood today as one of two work projects has gone well. Now I have to return my attentions to the other which is much more mentally taxing. None of this comes before self-care these days so I took some time out to cook myself a nice meal this evening. Tonight I should be job hunting but I'm not really in the mood. Have to stop procrastinating on this one...

Warm wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:11 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Good one, Vinny.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:12 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning Weekenders
Hope everyone has a good day.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:31 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Lol good night, Vman and Weekenders. I'm about to turn in as it's still Vman's yesterday evening here across the pond.

How's my Day 13 going for you? Over here I'm wrapping up 12 swimmingly. With any luck I'll be greeting my 13 with zzzs in bed in a half hour (just woke from a welcome nap out in the living room in the recliner; first I'll go walk the dogs).
Old 01-13-2020, 09:02 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Mr

Hey JR
Your day 13 is a real beauty 👍
Nighty night
Old 01-13-2020, 10:04 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Weekenders

JR, Congratulations on day 13, sleep well.

Morning Vinny

Hi Forwards, Weekend 55 is pretty good going! All the best with the job hunting.

Saou, fingers crossed with the Netherlands order.

Marty, I remember I was like that too when I drank, didn’t want to wake up. It makes me more happy and grateful I’m sober. Booze can certainly mess with the little grey cells.

Really cold here in uk but I think the wind is making it feel colder. We’ve got a warning in this area for today, hopefully Storm Brendan will pass by quickly without too much hassle.

See you later. x
Old 01-13-2020, 10:06 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders JR! Congratulations on 13 days.

Busy day ahead of me. How did I do this stuff when I was hungover? I often didn't is the answer, I was lucky not to lose my job.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:20 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Magsie

Me too Saou!
Old 01-14-2020, 02:45 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Mr

Nice job on 55 weeks Forwards.
You are doing very well 👍
Best of luck with your work endeavours
Old 01-14-2020, 04:04 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I could complain about the cold, but I'd better be grateful instead.....
Old 01-14-2020, 04:15 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Oh, my goodness, Dragon.

That is cold.

It's cold here too, -6C - but not -30! Oh, you're in Winnipeg, right? Still. Brrr.

I'm using it as an excuse to stay inside and eat and watch TV. I'm super grateful to have a warm house and a full cupboard of food.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:16 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
I could complain about the cold, but I'd better be grateful instead.....
yikes. I was going to ask if that's C or F, but I don't suppose it makes much difference!

watch out brass moneys!