Notices

How/why did you select your user name?

Old 10-10-2019, 09:18 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Old 10-11-2019, 06:02 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

This is a fun thread!
I am not actually very sassy in real life, so it's kind of an alter-ego.
I've loved the name Adria since I first heard it. Then I heard that a hidden continent was discovered underneath Europe that was named Greater Adria.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:56 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post

That’s great and I will definitely give it a listen. I like to broaden my tastes. Can I ask, do you have some sobriety under your belt? It seems like yes.
Hi BaBM

Yes, getting on for 25 years. These days my problem with alcohol is more the harm its doing other people. Hope you enjoy the tune - can see you're in the middle of this battle, really hope you get to share that great feeling of winning it. But know how tough it is,,,,,

All the best

ND
Old 10-13-2019, 10:37 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

I’ve said this before many years ago, but this is the name of a wizards I made for an MMORPG that used to play. The strength of the elements she gained was beautiful to me. It was all about the earth and nothing more than the strength of the Mother herself. It’s amazing if you’re willing to work your mind around it. Hey
Old 10-14-2019, 05:38 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

They told me I needed a username, and Dry Guy was already taken, so I started getting creative with spelling until one was accepted. As soon as I typed one in that worked, it became a done deal, and if I remember right, I felt stuck with it. Some people are really good a creating usernames. I always envy a clever username person, but it's not one of my gifts.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I wanted a three-syllable name that sounded mellifluous
Old 10-14-2019, 04:02 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Many years ago I came to AA as my last hope to stop the misery of the alcoholic condition. It turned out much better than I dared hope. I actually Gottalife - with bells on!
Old 10-14-2019, 04:24 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Sober date 9-30-19

​​​​​​

Saw a username the other day though that made me laugh. Chris P. Bacon[/QUOTE]
This really made me laugh, out loud....😂
Old 05-27-2020, 01:20 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Thought I’d revive this thread since there are some new people.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:37 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I think I was in really heavy withdrawal at the time. Most of my usernames have to do with my pets or animals in some way. I really like cats. Nothing too deep there.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:03 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Noam is the first letter in the names of my family. Plus it sounds like Nome, Alaska...always wanted to visit Alaska. 19 was my number when I played sports.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:45 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I fell in love with George Remi’s (better known by the phonetic acronym Hergè) Adventures of Tintin, ever since I first laid hands on one of his books at the age of 7. This was courtesy of my mother who had visited a second hand bookstore in the area where we lived at at the time. I remember quite well how she presented me with a copy of Cigars of the Pharao on a cold and overcast winter afternoon.

Captain Haddock is one of his most endearing character creations. Being somewhat impatient and prone to express his frustration with a seemingly endless list of maritime inspired expletives, he is steadfastly loyal and sympathetic to those in need.

Unfortunately, he also had a most debilitating relationship with alcohol. Notorious for his binge drinking at the most inopportune of times, he thereby often placed the wellbeing and fortunes of himself and those around him at risk.

Over the course of 54 years Hergé managed to complete 20 volumes in the series. Captain Haddock made his first appearance in The Crab with the Golden Claws, being the 9th volume.

In the last completed volume, Tintin and the Picaros, Captain Haddock is involuntarily “cured” from his alcoholism, thanks to a pill formulated by his good friend, Professor Calculus, that causes the taste of alcohol to become horribly repulsive when ingested.

So there you have it - it might not be as easy as taking a pill, but if there’s hope for Captain Haddock then there is hope for each of us!
Old 05-27-2020, 06:46 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I was totally desperate and praying to God, angels, the universe ......so Gabe was for the angel Gabriel, and 1980 is my birth year. I quite like it now!
Old 05-27-2020, 07:16 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Mine is simple, I really enjoy looking at orchids and I had just bought one. Created my account while looking at it.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:54 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Mine was named after a song called Alice that I liked in my youth and was just listening to while thinking about a username. I was also playing around with a fantasy name generator tool online and it gave me similar spelling suggestions to make it unique. The "2" is because I had an account here earlier under the same name that I closed and this is version 2... hopefully an improved 'me'.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:03 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Angeleyes1111;7288638]​​​​​​

Saw a username the other day though that made me laugh. Chris P. Bacon
This really made me laugh, out loud....😂
I know a real-life Chris P. Bacon. He's a film composer.

The music connection accounts for my user name, which generally translates to "At a walking pace" in musical scores. That's kind of how I had to approach my recovery.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:56 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I grow lots of lillies.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:27 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Mine is based on the book by Camus. Sisyphus was punished by the gods by being forced to eternally roll in an immense stone uphill only for it to roll back down once he reached the top, repeating the cycle for all eternity. Camus argues that Sisyphus has two choices- to rail against his unavoidable fate or to embrace it. He imagines Sisyphus choosing the latter, embracing the rock and its every crack and crevice, setting aside past and future to accept the eternal now, embracing the stone as his purpose, perhaps even loving it. To me that was a powerful metaphor not just for life but for drinking. Life is absurd and the only freedom comes in accepting the futility of it and embracing it, deciding to choose to pursue your own path even if it ultimately leads to nowhere. It means that life is not just what happens to you but how you deal with it.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:22 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
I wanted a three-syllable name that sounded mellifluous
A very intriguing answer. Hmm...
Old 05-27-2020, 07:24 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
Mine is based on the book by Camus. Sisyphus was punished by the gods by being forced to eternally roll in an immense stone uphill only for it to roll back down once he reached the top, repeating the cycle for all eternity. Camus argues that Sisyphus has two choices- to rail against his unavoidable fate or to embrace it. He imagines Sisyphus choosing the latter, embracing the rock and its every crack and crevice, setting aside past and future to accept the eternal now, embracing the stone as his purpose, perhaps even loving it. To me that was a powerful metaphor not just for life but for drinking. Life is absurd and the only freedom comes in accepting the futility of it and embracing it, deciding to choose to pursue your own path even if it ultimately leads to nowhere. It means that life is not just what happens to you but how you deal with it.
Woah! Slow clap...