Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Staying Sober Together this weekend Weekenders 23 - 26 August 2019

Notices

Staying Sober Together this weekend Weekenders 23 - 26 August 2019

Old 08-24-2019, 05:10 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Saturday morning check-in. It's going to rain today, but I'm sure I'll find something to do in the garage....
Old 08-24-2019, 05:18 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi - I got called into work yesterday, which was a good thing. Not only for the money, but kept my mind off my lost kitty. No thoughts of drinking this morning. Plan to do some recovery readings and listen to music. Great to come here. Enjoy This day everyone.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:41 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Hope kitty shows up soon Awake x

So, stocked up on refreshments for the hot weekend. Got some fentimans pink ginger and orange fizzy stuff which is to die for, a 4 pack of Purdys, some elderflower cordial / ginger cordial and sparkling water. Made a ton of ice cubes last night so I am all set for the day. Got my meditation mat on the grass in front of the field, it’s very hot and blue sky with a nice gentle breeze so sunbathing and going to do an hours guided meditation outdoors when it cools down a bit.

Have a safe and sober Saturday people xx
Old 08-24-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Good Morning peeps

Well first night solo without darling daughter. Not sure how that feels. So I'm not going to dwell on. It's onward and upward.

The scariest part in this very moment is that all obstacles for me moving forward with my life, simply for me, are gone. Yikes. Shlits gettin real. Guess I'd better just do that resume and start interviewing. I need to get a job so I can start rationalizing a remodel on my house. The bathrooms absolutely need it...just do. But need that job first. Motivation.

So yeah, strange days. Lots of yard work to do to. Guess I'll work out, do yard work, and then start that resume. Just bang the dang thing out...doesn't have to be fancy. Just get the point across, right?

Have a great weekend. I'll be thinking of wayward kitty...
Old 08-24-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Do Manta's cat and Kaily's dog both have the name Alfie? Did I get that right?

Mariposa, well done on the earnings. Food is a problem for me when I get stressed, too. (Now, I'm joking here ~~>>) My mother told me when I was 42 that I wasn't breast fed as an infant, so I decided that all my oral fixation i.e. food/alcohol/cigarettes problems must be because of that. Any chance I got to blame someone else - especially my mother!!

Tatsy - if you're reading along in this thread, jump in and tell us what's up. Talking about "it" is the way forward. Drinking is not the solution.

Whatever anyone is struggling to overcome, someone here on this site has overcome it. That's a powerful truth.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:16 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Do Manta's cat and Kaily's dog both have the name Alfie? Did I get that right?

Only the very best cats and dogs are allowed the Alfie title.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:07 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

That’s King Alfie to you...or so he keeps telling me haha! x
Old 08-24-2019, 12:22 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Mr

Good evening folks.
Back home from mum in law's.

Very hot still here in the afternoons.
Your refreshments Manta got me making some limonade and jolly good and refreshing it was too.

Goodnight weekenders.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:47 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good news on the hours Awake.

All the best on your resume entropy.

I was paid a royal visit by my youngest daughter today who unusually was nursing a slight hangover. She is a mature student (she hates the word "mature") and from what I can gather was satisfied with her actual and predicted grades, at least I think she was - all this modular stuff seems very complicated, at least to someone like me who left school with a certificate for swimming a width. Her friends are an abstemious lot compared to how mine were in our 20's so I think the hangover was a much bigger deal than it would have been for me.

Here's to all the Alfies!

Old 08-24-2019, 05:08 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday. Busy day here, after the gym my car started breaking down. It’s been in bad shape for a long time. i went car shopping this afternoon and now I’m going to dinner with friends. Only a few controllable drinking thoughts so far this weekend.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:43 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I have decided that exercise is my best defense against my difficult cravings. So far this weekend sober and going to bed early after 32 mile bike ride with my husband. Nothing like complete exhaustion to beat a craving!! Congratulations everyone and I hope that the little kitty comes home!!
Old 08-24-2019, 05:45 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I see you, MB.

Yes to the exercise, kbm697. Welcome to the Weekender thread.

I am pleasantly full from a good dinner and I'm going to watch a little Netflix before bed. I hope everyone made it through Saturday without a drink.

Easy peasy.

Nite Weekenders.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:51 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Went to eat Mexican and once again ate way two much, this week and next weekend I’m going to be more mindful of my diet. I feel didn’t have any drinking urges at dinner and feel at peace with all my decisions this weekend. I’m going to the mechanic tomorrow to see if my car is fixable for what it’s even worth. I hate to be in a corner like I am right now with a broke car and have to buy another quick.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:03 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Third weekend for me and it is a lovely sunny Bank Holiday weekend here in the UK.

All through my recent drinking years I have mistakenly thought that in order to stop the drinking, I needed to find the mental calmness/inner peace/serenity/relaxed feeling, that I had fifteen years ago before the booze, before I could stop the drinking. I am so happy to have found that, for me, it is the other way around. Stopping drinking has helped me regain the calmness/inner peace/serenity/relaxed feeling that I had before the drinking.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:18 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Checking in for day 38 done! Feel good, have fleeting thoughts but smash them quickly and focus on the positive life I now have.

Start a new job on monday, feel nervous but really excited to start and get a routine and steady paycheck going...haven't worked since Jan...longest I have gone with no job my whole life and wasn't feeling good about it but am trying to be gentle because I had to hit my bottom to get where I am at now.

Anyways, checking in goodnight!
Old 08-24-2019, 11:48 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders kbm,Badga and NicLin! kbm, exercise and exhaustion was my method of beating the cravings too. Good luck in the new job NicLin.

Fingers crossed that repairing your car isn't too pricey mariposa. I spent some of yesterday looking at a car to restore myself, it would have been a big commitment but forced retirement is a small possibility next year so it might be that I have time in my hands.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:22 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Badga View Post

All through my recent drinking years I have mistakenly thought that in order to stop the drinking, I needed to find the mental calmness/inner peace/serenity/relaxed feeling, that I had fifteen years ago before the booze, before I could stop the drinking. I am so happy to have found that, for me, it is the other way around. Stopping drinking has helped me regain the calmness/inner peace/serenity/relaxed feeling that I had before the drinking.

Yes I can relate to this. I use to have to have a drink in my hand to even contemplate getting sober. Otherwise the thought was far too stressful!
Congratulations on your third week.

Good luck with your new job NinLin and well done on 38 days sober. Keep smashing those thoughts.

Kbm I walked many many miles to the point of exhaustion in my first few months. Keep pedalling away those cravings.

Another very hot day here. Bit much for me with fair skin and no air con in house or car. Phew..

Happy Sober Sunday everyone.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:59 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

The hot U.K. weather has brought with it some cravings, grr! We have a blues festival a mile from my house that happens every August Bank Holiday and has done for 30 years. The town roads get closed and there are bands and food and lots of drinking. Last night sat in the peace, quiet and lovely evening sun with neighbours, one of them offered me a glass of red wine. My AV went crazy and tried every trick in the book. For about half an hour it was relentless. I stayed strong, used every trick in my sober toolbox and I am so glad I won that battle. Was a surprise to have such strong cravings at 15 months but a reminder that I still have to remain vigilant!

Have a super sober Sunday lovely weekenders x
Old 08-25-2019, 01:59 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I'm excited/dismayed to be up at 1:53 AM with all you UKers.

I let one little thought take hold when I woke up and now I'm up until I settle down again.

Work and lack of it. Always a worry, for me and everyone. Sao, that small chance of forced retirement doesn't sound like a good thing, or is it? NicLin, new job, that is probably a good thing. The rest of us in various stages of working or not. I guess it always comes together when necessary.

I think I'm going back to the fair today. Once just isn't enough and today is Dia de Familia. Even though I have zero Latin background, I love the people and the music and costume dancing. I don't love the $10 parking and $10 admission but it is what it is.

Manta, good going. StoopidAV.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:14 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Morning, weekenders.

I haven't been active here for a while, so surely missed some important news.

I will catch up eventually.

I am ok overall - almost 2 months in my new job and it's going ok.

Getting regular paychecks, taking care of my basic needs, paying off debts.

Found another gym - no boxing though - but it has almost all the equipment I need for regular exercising.

My biggest problem is that "life is ok but not zinging".

I am in the prolonged state of emotional plateau and somewhat lost how to change this situations.

One of my emotional "aftermaths" I am still having hard times to shake off is my break-up with HM. Mostly, not even the fact itself but the way it happened.

We had our last conversation over the phone about 3 months ago, right before he left for a 5-weeks business trip abroad. He then told that "he needed to think". Not that I was happy about someone needing to "think" about being with me, but whatever.

So, he returned in the middle of July and apparently decided that since we didn't communicate all this time, the better tactics for him would be to avoid uncomfortable conversation and let it "dissolve" somehow.

I fell both slightly offended and majorly disappointed by this cowardice.

Why not to gather some guts and have an honest conversation with me "I can't get over the fact that you are older than me. And so on".

It wouldn't be pleasant, surely, but at least I wouldn't be left with the feeling that I don't deserve even an explanation.

Time to move on, of course.

That's pretty much sums up what's been happening in my life recently.

Glad to be back here)

Have a great day, everyone.