Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Staying Sober Together this weekend Weekenders 23 - 26 August 2019

Notices

Staying Sober Together this weekend Weekenders 23 - 26 August 2019

Old 08-22-2019, 11:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes Bimini. And she's texting me constantly today....the lil shlit is going to weasel out of the lame orientation today. Can't say I blame her. I just have to let it go....she's a big girl. And she always manages to do exceptionally well. But this is Uni now, not high school. She'll learn. Ugh.

And thanks for all the welcomes! Feels good. What a weird week this is gonna be.....
Old 08-22-2019, 12:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hello I have never posted on this weekend thing before ....but speaking of weekend . look forward to it . gonna go and celebrate my b day. The 24th. By going to Wisconsin Dell's for the day. It also will be my 112th sober day.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders SoberRican !(cool name btw). Congratulations on 112 days and enjoy Wisconsin Dells and your birthday. As a Londoner I had to Google Wisconsin Dells, it looks exciting.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi guys, here for my nightly checkin. Hi entropy and soberican! Thanks for joining.

Today was great. Work was whatever, but I went to a boxing class this evening with my friends and I don't know what happened, but I think I did better than I've ever done with boxing. I like, reached exercise nirvana or something. It felt so good.

This is what sobriety does for me. It allows me to do things I never thought I'd be able to do. If I'm not sober, I have nothing. It's the thread holding this whole thing together.

I'm still high on endorphins, lol. Have a great night everyone.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm here for the weekend. When I get through this one I'll have 2 weeks behind me. Gonna keep playing the tape through. I'm going to keep putting effort in to living in the moment to the best I can and not dwell on the past. It is my choices and actions from this moment on that will represent who I am tomorrow.
Wishes of a happy and productive weekend to U all
Old 08-22-2019, 08:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hope to join this weekend crew in staying sober AND completely off benzos for the first weekend in like 7 years agh!
Old 08-22-2019, 10:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm in for the weekend !!!

Tomorrow will mark my 1 year sobriety date . And I intend to keep it going.

Had a horrible, disturbing drinking dream last night - pouring wine into a mug to hide it - was sooo disturbing, but so great to wake up and realizing it's only a dream.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome to Weekenders MJ1987 and Finalcall

A year! Ayers that’s great news.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:49 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning all,

My mother in law lives about 3 hours away from us. Mrs Vman and Mini Vman have been there since Wednesday (while I painted) . I took out the motorbike to come and join them last night. That's the longest trip I've taken on the bike so far. It was nice and perfect weather.

I brought to France from Ireland an old CD player that I bought years ago (1996). It was once considered a pretty good piece of kit. Marantz CD-63 mk2 KI Signature (Ken Ishiwata) . So I will be trying to set that up again shortly. Have to find a decent amp and decent speakers. My CD's have been in the attic for years now. Apparently vinyl is all the rage now. I suppose it go's around
Anyways I'm blabbering on.

Hope you all have a great day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20190823_074401_837.jpg (23.7 KB, 54 views)
Old 08-22-2019, 11:20 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Happy Friday Weekenders. & a it's long weekend in the UK! & the forecast is looking rather nice! do you have a plan of non-drinking things to do in case the AV comes knocking?
Old 08-22-2019, 11:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders Finalcall and MJ1987!

Fantastic achievement Ayers.

VMan the hipsters where I live love vinyl, congratulations on taking the motorbike out for a lengthy spin.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:41 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Morning weekenders,

Lovely to see all the new faces (names). Welcome to the weekenders.

Congrats to Ayers on your 1 year soberversary.

Awake I hope your cat is home safely now, purring on your lap.

Dpac you must be super fit. I am very envious of your seemingly relentless energy.

To those struggling ignore your AV like your life depends on it, because it does!
Only allow cravings for chocolate or ice cream to enter your brain.
Keep posting and reading.
Exercise if you can, be it a walk, a jog, a workout. Make yourself tired and hungry. Eat then sleep ~Repeat.
Slowly slowly things get better.
If nothing else never give up trying. It only has to stick once.

I have got a hospital appointment today to have an echo-cardiogram. This is because my Dads heart condition is very hereditary and I have a fifty percent chance of having it. Also a fifty percent chance of not!
Old 08-22-2019, 11:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Mr

Congratulations for tomorrow Ayers.
That is really fantastic.

Welcome to the new names and avatars.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:44 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Mr

Crossing fingers for you too Kaily.
Hoping for a favorable result.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:10 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, good post. I hope all goes well for you at the hospital xx
Old 08-23-2019, 12:18 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Welcome to all the new weekenders! So much to celebrate this weekend for everyone!

Vinny, one of my prized possessions in my late teens and 20’s was a Marantz Valve Amp, the most beautiful bass there ever was. Thanks for the blast from the past, good times!

Taking car to garage to get airbags changed so stuck at home till it’s done but the weather is warming up nicely and due to have a heatwave for the bank holiday weekend. xx
Old 08-23-2019, 12:20 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Magsie

VMan, that’s a lot of riding. Pleased it was a good night. I used to love my CD player, it was nothing special but it was so much more sharper than vinyl records but like you say, vinyl is popular now .

Funny how trends go full circle.

Have a good day, keep safe if you’re travelling, the bank holiday traffic will be heaving. (In U.K.)
Old 08-23-2019, 04:03 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Happy Friday! looking forward to the end of the day and a bit of a sleep in tomorrow. It's tough getting back into routine after three weeks off.

Love seeing all the people joining in.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:36 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Friday, huh?

I did go to the fair, ate too much and talked to a lot of people - that's always fun. My favorite was an elderly little lady who brought some of her bees; on the boards/under glass as a kind of agriculture show and tell. I talked to her for an hour while we searched for the Queen. We never found her, but I learned a lot about bees. She had an interesting life, still does!

Too much food though. I usually go to the fair 2-3 times but this year I'm limiting it to one trip, so I think I figured I had to eat all my favorites on one day. Salt overdose. I'll have to drink a gallon of water today to balance that out.

Thanks for all the posts, it's good to see everyone moving forward without the horrible burden of alcohol. Well done.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:24 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I've found in Early Retirement that the trick to avoid Friday Drinking is simply to not know what Day it is. Once I remembered earlier this Morning it was Friday, things like not Drinking this Weekend fell right into place! My Slacker Sobriety Mantra is:

'You can't lust after that which you just don't want anymore' ~ Me

Gravity and one TV Remote had an encounter last Night, and Gravity predictably won. I managed to tune in some Cooking Shows for MesaMate by touch Icons on the Video Monitor I didn't even know were there. So, after the daily Dog Park Soiree in a bit, I gotta buy another Universal Remote to return Techno Life around here back to normal. Football Season beckons for The Resident Jockette.

Speaking of Techno Life, here's some Turntables for you to consider if you expand into Retro Vinyl, VMan. Fellow Audio Geeks have a giggle at this stuff on an Legacy Audio Page I frequent. A dirty lil secret on CDs I know, from being in a peripheral part of that Biz, is that vaporized Aluminum sputtered onto older CD Substrates in a Vacuum Chamber flakes off after a few Decades. Some strides are being made to overcome this. So much for the permanence of CDs. As soon as a Mic Signal hits a Mixing Console in the Studio, Audio is in the Digital Domain. I like mucking with Tubes/Valves, but take it all lightly. Good luck on your Audio System search! One good source is Yard Sales where Folks just want kewl old stuff gone.

~ The Most Expensive Turntables In The World ~

Shannon Curfman sang backup on Eric Clapton's original version of this one. It became her signature Song. With Joe Bonamassa, those 2 really scorch this Remake. Clapton, definitely being 'one of us' in the past, wrote some fine Lyrics for us to nosh on.

~ 'The Core' ~ Shannon Curfman & Joe Bonamassa ~

~ Lyrics ~

OK, up & at 'em to use my nifty new Lithium Battery-powered Weed Trimmer on prolific Ma Nature before it hits 96 F [36 C] today. I'll Zen out while imagining I'm fishing, as I was last Week w/MesaDog @ ~10,200' [~3,108 Meters]. A fine time made possible by indefatigable SR support...

Thanks, Mags.