Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Staying Sober Together this weekend Weekenders 23 - 26 August 2019

Notices

Old 08-22-2019, 01:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome to the Weekenders

Staying Sober Together this weekend

We’re staying sober together this weekend. It can be achieved! With determination, our sober tools and great support.

With like minded people who ‘get us’ we can put another weekend behind us sober. The days soon mount up to years when we live in the present and aware.

It doesn’t need to be the elephant in the room.

We’re here to acknowledge the elephant!

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)
Old 08-22-2019, 01:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Cheers Mags! I’ll be lurking .
Old 08-22-2019, 02:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

MantaLady, hows Young Max doing xx
Old 08-22-2019, 02:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Mags

D
Old 08-22-2019, 03:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm in! Definitely gonna try to be more active.

I went to my AA meeting last night, and it was nice. I got into a really great conversation with the guy I help make coffee, and we learned a lot about each other. Being a little more open and relaxed when talking to people I don't know very well is something I'm working on. I need to be confident in my own abilities to socialize, haha. The meeting itself was okay. I don't know. Sometimes the people there who look at you with really sympathetic eyes or are happy for you for doing menial tasks get on my nerves. That's a rude thing to say but....I think I'm still torn sometimes between not wanting to make such a big deal out of it. Not sure if that makes sense. Just wanted to write it down.

This weekend is the same old thing. Zoo Saturday and Sunday with some socializing sprinkled in. I have boxing today and I'm looking forward to it. Other than that, life just is. And that's good for me right now.

Hope y'all have a nice Thursday. My boss went on his like, 100th vacation this summer so he's out til Monday, which is nice. Farmer's market is also today so I'm gonna get more veggies and fruit. Good stuff.

Have a nice day, friends.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Haven't been to our zoo in a long while. It's forecast to rain all weekend so nope. Many years ago we had a large monkey exhibit, but that was closed down and a new polar bear exhibit "gateway to the north" was built. We have a 'tropical house' which is cool. Many free flying exotic birds among rain forest like fauna.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

up early practicing yoga. Our kitty has disappeared and I am so afraid she might have met up with some hungry bigger animals. Hoping to see her loving face again. 27 days sober, but I've decided I will not pick up, for any reason. I remember so well the last time and it only made everything so much worse. Will take long walk later, when it dries up a bit here and sit by the pond near us. Nature has been my biggest help so far, along with coming here.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Thanks for asking Mags! Little Max doesn’t seem to have realised its happened haha! Dropped him off at 8:30am and picked him back up at 13:00, he then proceeded to run around the house like a maniac till 11pm! No wobbles, no walking funny or being subdued or tired. He’s not even been licking or fussing in the general area. I genuinely think he has no idea it happened.. Things have moved on a lot in terms of what vets do so there are no stitches or visible wounds.

Next day I expected maybe after the painkillers had worn off he might be a bit tender or quieter...but no! He carried on being a manic jumping on Alfie, tare arsing around the house and being generally kitten like. x
Old 08-22-2019, 04:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I’m sorry about your kitty Awake, I know I would be beside myself if my fur babies went missing. Keep strong and sending you hugs and praying your little one comes home soon xx
Old 08-22-2019, 04:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Awake, I hope your kitty cat soon comes home. I know how worried you will be.

MantaLady, wow Max is a robust kitten. I remember mine being dozy and sleep all day. More up to date methods nowadays, save kitty any discomfort.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks Mags. I'm in for the weekend - a long weekend in the UK!

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
It doesn’t need to be the elephant in the room.

We’re here to acknowledge the elephant!
"Help, help," cried Piglet, "a Heffalump, a Horrible Heffalump!" and he scampered off as hard as he could, still crying out,
"Help, help, a Herrible Hoffalump! Hoff, hoff, a Hellible Horralump! Holl, holl, a Hoffable Hellerump!"
Old 08-22-2019, 05:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you Mags—I’m in, calling shotgun, and wishing you all an exceptionally excellent sober day. Today is my weekly travel to the lake after an early workday, so I will check in on arrival this early evening,

Glad Max is doing so well. When we removed my puppy Cosmo’s nuggets, he was so sleepy,snappy, and grumpy the vet techs had me go in the back and take him out of the holding crate—a twenty pound Cujo who knew the score.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Staying sober this weekend. I have a list of meetings I will be attending. Also thinking about joining Planet Fitness... hmmmm.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

ElleDee, so good to see you, I remember you from 2014.

How are things? I'm glad you're back.

Love the Pooh thing, andyh.

There aren't a lot of elephant cat gifs, as it turns out.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm in! This will be my first weekend with out beloved daughter living with me. Its going to be strange so I think some extra support is necessary.

She is already bitching and moaning about school and it hasn't even officially started yet. I'm so concerned I've raised a soft kid. While I agree that what her school is making them do (she's in the honors college portion of a large public Uni so its almost like a private school) is lame its 1 day. I'm just hoping she doesn't start seeking short cuts, cause that is her forte...as it is mine.

Yesterday we were joking about this and her father made the comment 'I wonder where she got that?'. And I'm thinking, ya know, bro, you've been her father as long as I've been her mother. If my tendency to 'finesse' (which btw can be a super power if motive is proper) has been passed down to daughter, you certainly had plenty of time to counter it with your rule following, by the book, don't even try anything or over step a bound behavior (that btw has gotten him a sum total of ZERO in his life) during her life time. And clearly you've been totally ineffective because she has absolutely NONE of your traits. Or this finesse mentality in genetic so it's not my damn fault. Fluck him. He takes no ownership for anything. My daughter is a bad ass because of who she is, not because of how she was raised. And all her slightly negative traits are actually her strengths as well. When she uses them inappropriately they aren't all my fault. God he's a loser.

Rant over.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Uh. Hug or lol, whichever is appropriate, entropy.

I'm so glad to see you in Weekenders, though.

At one point in my twenties I remember my mother saying, [paraphrased] "I can't deal with your stress, I have enough of my own!"

Well! I thought the sole reason for her existence was to be my sounding board! That was a rude (and humbling and very good-for-both-of-us) Revelation once I had time to let that sink in.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!

The support of SR in the early days saved my bacon several times. I wasn't actually tempted to drink much once I decided it was time to quit, but I sure felt alone and misunderstood in my daily life. It was a rough time, and being able to come here and share with people who "got it" was a huge comfort. I have made friends here that I treasure.

So, if you are lurking and reading, be brave and jump in and say hi! We are here to help each other stay sober over the weekend (and throughout the week!).

No huge plans this weekend, I'm trying to take tomorrow off to go to man friend's cabin to help him mow, so that we can maybe get out in the kayaks on Saturday. We were supposed to last Sunday, but the weather wasn't so great. Saturday is supposed to be perfect. Sunday, Rain. So if we are going to mow and kayak, at least one of us has to take tomorrow off. He's going to for sure, but it goes so much faster with two people.

My kitchen project is moving along. Almost all work people are scheduled and deposits are paid. Some work has been done already - electrician came last week and moved and added outlets and upgraded existing outlets with GFI. Next thing to happen is part of a wall being removed and other walls are getting new sheetrock. After that, flooring. Then finally, sometime in September, cabinet refacing and a few new cabinets installed, new countertops, new sink and fixtures, all new appliances. Last but not least, a new tile backsplash. I have no idea what I'm doing with that - it's the only thing left to figure out, but no big rush on that. It's fun, but I'm about ready to wrap things up.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi ElleDee and entropy
Old 08-22-2019, 09:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders ElleDee and entrophy! Good to see you.

Thanks for the new thread Mags. It does help to post among people with the same condition because doctors and other medical professionals can diagnose, prescribe ans occasionally operate but unless you are addicted you can never know what it's like. As a youngster, long before I was an alcoholic I would often wonder why various famous drinkers didn't just stop. Much later I thought I was too far gone and unable to stop but I was wrong about that too, fortunately.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks for the OP Mags.

And hello to all of you fine weekenders.

I'm coming close to the end of my summer vacation. Back to work Monday after 3 and a half weeks of holidays (and a little painting and decorating) All good though. It's time to get back into the routine.

Hope you are all doing well.
See you all tomorrow.