Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When it’s so bad only a drink will do-what can I do? Weekenders 19 - 22 July 2019

Notices

When it’s so bad only a drink will do-what can I do? Weekenders 19 - 22 July 2019

Old 07-22-2019, 07:44 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Congratulations, Mags! 6 years is amazing. And thank you for the work you do on SR, especially the Weekender!

Finally, our heat wave is over for now. But when it gets as hot as it was last week, severe storms are almost inevitable. Friday/Saturday was especially bad here in Wisconsin. I had to drive my son to Rock Band Camp yesterday, and the route went through some especially hard-hit areas. 80-90 MPH winds do a LOT of damage to trees especially, but buildings, also. Miles and miles of downed and snapped trees by the road, and in towns, trees on houses and vehicles, power lines down, barns and other farm buildings blown apart, streetlights blown over, road signs twisted. I have never seen non-tornado damage that severe over such a large area. Luckily, the camp is north of the hard-hit areas, so everything is fine there.

Monday. I used to really hate Mondays. I don't exactly LOVE them now, but I never have a hangover, so they are a lot easier to deal with. I have been procrastinating at work, because summers are very very quiet here and I am in charge of managing my own time on long-term projects. I'm not the best at that. I work best under pressure, so I tend to put things off until it's nearly too late. Bad bad habit. So today I have promised myself to make some real headway. My anxiety level has been creeping up due to this, so it's time to get things under control.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

All these pizza pictures are torture for me. Low-carb diets are not fun. I think it's time for me to have a cheat day soon, and pizza will be on the menu.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:09 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks for the kind words friends. very much appreciated!

MLD I like the idea of nan bread for pizza, might have a try or ask Mr.M to cook it or bake it?

You could always make an itinerary for planning your days at work?
Old 07-22-2019, 12:15 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Greetings and love, all.

Another Sober Weekend under our Sober belts.

Let’s celebrate!

Old 07-22-2019, 12:16 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

MLD, sounds like some wild weather, indeed. Hope that your world stays cooler and calmer.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:02 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Magsie

Leigh, what a beautiful cake, I wouldn’t mind if I do have a slice! Thankyou.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:41 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Pizza and cake. Sigh.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Happy Tuesday everyone
Yummy cake Leigh, yes please I’ll have some.

We have lovely sunrises this time of year, truly magic winter mornings

Old 07-22-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Mr

Sounds like wild and dangerous weather MLD.
It got up to 40c in the shade where I live today and more of the same tomorrow. Not weather for digging in the veg patch.

Beautiful photo Willow perfect for bedtime

Nighty night weekenders
Old 07-22-2019, 08:17 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Magsie

Willow, you live in a paradise of a place. How beautiful.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:26 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

We’ve got another hot roasting day forecast for today. I hope anyone working in offices have aircon or a food desk fan. or working out in it! Phew!

It can be tempting to pick up a drink in this hot weather, I do but mine’s an orange topped up with lemonade , who says you need alcohol on a hot day? Not me
Old 07-22-2019, 10:37 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Heyhey!

Sober and checking in for Day 5!

I have been diving into my workouts as a way of dealing with everything. There is something about laying sweaty on the ground panting and feeling so proud. It makes you not want to lose that feeling, that sober good feeling. My eating habits are better when I workout, my emotions are more in check and I feel much much happier.

Going to bed feeling good.

Night!
Old 07-23-2019, 04:02 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Morning all,

I had one heck of a craving sweep over me last night as I was reaching in the fridge for a water. If there were a beer in there I might have actually stopped to considered it. I was only thirsty. Chugged that water back then grabbed a juice.

Boy, what a suprise that was! it shook me a little.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:53 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Mr

That's mental Dragon.
Nice job though recognizing it and kicking it off.

Sleeping is a bit iffy at the moment.
Bloody heat has me like a character from walking dead. Which one...

Give me snow and rain any day. Probably thought the opposite coming out of winter though.

Well as ya have probably guessed not alot to report french side.

Later weekenders
Old 07-23-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 years Mags!! I echo what MLD said. Thanks for all the work you do here.

I have been quiet but still reading here every day. I’m on vacation with my mom at the beach and we’re having a great time so far, although the last two days were extremely hot. It stormed last night hardcore, so I’m hoping that brought the heat and humidity down. Otherwise it’s been great. Lots of beach time, relaxing, and seafood. I had a brief struggle when we first got here about drinking but as the week has progressed I have beat the AV down and don’t think much of drinking anymore.

I’m enjoying all the photos, pizza discussions, and daily chat. I also personally enjoy a god crispy thin crust. Margherita pizza with a really good crust is 💯💯.

Enjoy your tuesdays, everyone.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

It’s very very hot here in the north of the U.K.!! Left the job officially at lunchtime and really glad to be out of there. Strangely I got a call this afternoon about a contract near me that has come up which seems like perfect timing as haven’t had an agency call me is a year as the market has been painfully quiet.

Hope everyone is doing well xx
Old 07-23-2019, 10:00 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Oh my it is so hot! I feel sorry for anyone doing any kind of manual work ~ especially outdoors. And for the wildlife that struggles with the heat. I leave bowls of water outside for anything that might wander by.

STDragon thank goodness the fridge was bare. For that reason I could never have alcohol in the house. Those moments when you least expect them. Glad it came and went.

Beautiful picture Willow. Must be lovely to live near the beach.

Well done NicLin, your doing great. Keep going.

Think I will skip the pizza and go straight for the cake ~ wouldn't want to appear greedy.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:12 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

HI! Is the weekenders thread a week by week thread with a link? Or is it something I'll need to look out for in the forums when a new one pops up? I think I need a little more contact these days, I usually go into hiding for a long time. But I'd like to join. I appreciate the subject headings and I see a few familiar faces in here....
Old 07-23-2019, 10:15 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome Niclin! My "workouts" are pretty modest, some early morning walking and a short sprint but I do feel better for them and of course not constantly wanting to drink or being hungover is like losing a ball and chain.

Good luck on the job front Manta.

Warm in London. The daytime is fine, I like it but nightime is either closed windows and too hot or open windows and too noisy. Air conditioning would be great but I could never justify the cost for the couple weeks a year maximum that it would be useful . Us penguins can cope.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:16 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
HI! Is the weekenders thread a week by week thread with a link? Or is it something I'll need to look out for in the forums when a new one pops up? I think I need a little more contact these days, I usually go into hiding for a long time. But I'd like to join. I appreciate the subject headings and I see a few familiar faces in here....
Plenny, there is a new Weekender thread every Thursday (UK and US) and the new thread is linked in the old thread. It will be in the Newcomers subforum and have "Weekenders" in the title, and it will run until the next one starts. The dates are in the title too.

Welcome.