Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When it’s so bad only a drink will do-what can I do? Weekenders 19 - 22 July 2019

Notices

When it’s so bad only a drink will do-what can I do? Weekenders 19 - 22 July 2019

Old 07-23-2019, 10:17 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Thanks!!
Old 07-23-2019, 10:20 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Think I will skip the pizza and go straight for the cake
Kaily,

Pie > Cake.

Nice to see you. It's pretty warm here this week too. Well, it is almost August.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:07 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm with Bim on pie > cake. But right now, anything sweet sounds divine.

I did cheat a tiny bit yesterday. I ate about 6 bites of potatoes, and 2 bites of a bread stick. Man friend and I met for dinner at a place in the next town over, and we both had really delicious halibut. I had hash browns with mine. I ate all of the salad, fish, and grilled vegetables before I allowed myself any potatoes or bread, so that I was mostly full already. This low-carb stuff is hard, but I do feel better and I have lost 5 pounds in a month.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:20 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

I eat low-ish carb. Around 150g per day, 1700-2300 calories depending on my activity for the day. I'll never give up potatoes, bread, pasta, rice, ice cream. PIE. I just limit it and make sure most of my food is protein and whole foods like fruit and vegetables. All or nothing doesn't work for me food-wise - for a lot of reasons.

I haven't had pizza in a while, though. Problem with pizza is if I buy one I have to eat it since I live alone and I don't have the capability (call it willpower or biology) to have a couple pieces and then wait till the next day for another piece. So there's that. :-|
Old 07-23-2019, 01:06 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Magsie

Dpac, I’m pleased your holiday is going well.

MantaLady, I’m pleased you’ve left work now and good news on another job looming. It’s been boilng hot here all day, ‘scept for 5 ish this morning, it was lovely, we’re supposed to be having thunderstorms inbetween so hopefully it will clear the air.

Hi Plenny.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:01 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome Plenny!
Old 07-23-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Yeah it’s been crazy hot here Mags, couldn’t sit out in it till gone 5pm without burning. Half the sky is almost black with a storm, it’s still 25 out there at 10:15pm and the wind is getting up so hoping for a cracking thunder storm tonight!
Old 07-23-2019, 06:14 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
sober style

Key Lime pie is pretty much the greatest food on the planet, I think the scientists have proven this with their double-blind peer-reviewed studies. And I don't even like sweets that much!

I did eat a whole large pizza by myself last week though, also delicious. Took me 3 or 4 meals though.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:45 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Interesting self-paced learning class on a health and safety policy today at work. All about the expection that employees are to be "fit and ready" for the work shift. Doesn't matter what one does on their own time, just no hang overs or foggy brains. It was stressed several times that if one has a subtance abuse disorder, they are expected to self-report to the company so that arrangements can be made for counseling. It's policy mostly to protect the company. If you don't self-report and you cause an accident, you can be terminated for viloating written policy.

Another good reason for putting, and leaving, it all behind me.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:54 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome awake and plenny and any newies I missed.

Thanks for the DunRingill pics Mesa Man - I've not been there either. Looking forward to the remastered Stormwatch LP soon tho

D
Old 07-23-2019, 09:57 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you SnazzyD.

I believe Iain Anderson lived at nearby Kilmarie House until 1994 but the isolation proved to be too much.

Today is set to be another hot one, around 31C or 88F

Edit I misheard the weather forecast, it could reach 36 or 37C (99F)
Old 07-23-2019, 10:17 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Weekenders

Saou, it’s 27C (80.6F) at just gone 6am. Marvellous storms above though. Hope it clearing the air for later.

Snazzy, I love key lime pie, I’ve yet to make it myself but our Marks & Spencer shop does a gorgeous one.

Dragon, the company I worked for were very up front about drink/drugs. It’s a good thing I think, but when I was drinking I used to cringe inside hoping I didn’t get tested. What a way to live.

Manta, hope you get some sleep with all the heat. I had 2 hot water bottles(filled with cold water)in bed with me as well as 2 gel cooling pads/mats.
Just had a tip to put the hot waters bottles in the freezer from Venuscat. Will try that tonight, if it gets too bad I might go in the freezer myself, well dip my head in anyway.

Hope all Weekenders keeping well. Another Sober day, that’s gotta be a good thing!
Old 07-24-2019, 12:24 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

I’ve been eating anything within reach lately. Last night after work, at around 10pm, I went to the grocery store and bought two big pieces of cake. One almond and one chocolate. Both with terrible frosting. But they were great. And I ate them with my hands while listening to heavy metal in my car. I took a different route home than usual. I stayed up until 2am crocheting (as I do pretty much every night), and slept like a rock.
I’ve been really letting go of a lot of things lately. The less I care about pettiness and the extra junk other people bring in to every single situation, the better I feel. The less strict I am with myself on every level, brutally criticizing and judging everything, the healthier I behave. I hope it will project in my upcoming doctors visit. Perhaps some of those aches and pains — which are surely housing old stress and worry — will begin to loosen and fade.
I’m going to keep letting myself have cake for a while. Might have to see what my dentist says though....
Old 07-24-2019, 12:49 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Haha Plenny, love the thought of you crocheting in the car listening to heavy metal! We eat cake when we’re stressed because stressed spelt backwards is desserts! That’s my excuse and I am sticking to it. I absolutely agree about the letting things go and caring less about pettiness or the drama others try to bring around you. Not letting it in has been one of the things that has made the biggest change for me and I am much happier for it. I used to let it consume me and it just made me miserable.

Didn’t sleep too bad Mags and think we had some thunder but not sure! The boys Alfie and Max are more chipper this morning as it’s cooler, Max has returned to crazy kittening around the house and Alfie is sat sniffing the cooler air on the stone wall outside.

Hope every has a good day today x
Old 07-24-2019, 03:06 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Mr

Bonjour bonjour.
Busy with work so it's a fly by.
Maybe later weekenders
Old 07-24-2019, 04:07 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Late start to my morning, gotta move my butt, laters.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:31 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Snazzy! I will remember to bring up pizza and pie more often if it means you pop your head in and say hello! So nice to "see" you.

I grew up with a Key Lime tree in my back yard in Florida. We had an avocado tree and two huge mango trees too. I didn't eat mangos until about ten years ago - as a kid it was about the ever-present smell of rotting mangos on the ground.

The construction foreman gave me back my door key yesterday. He swears he's leaving on Friday. We will see. He's as ready as I am.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Kaily, what a sweet soul you are to leave water outside for thirsty four-legged passersby.

Willow, gorgeous sunrise photo. You live in a beautiful spot. Thank you.

UK friends, hope that the heat wave ends soon. Parts of the US have been sweltering, too. It can be so unbearable.

Mags, hope the storms brought along some relief.

Wonderful to see you here, Plenny. I always think of you when I go to an art show.

Manta, I hope that you find something satisfying on the job front.

Sao, your “us penguins can cope” comment made my laugh out loud; thank you.

Dpac, enjoy your vacay and your time with your Mom.

Vman, hope that you have found some good sleep.

NicLin, well done on five days. Sober workouts rock, huh!

Dragon, glad you powered through that surprise AV attack; so proud of you.

MLD, halibut is divine, huh? The best I had was in Alaska where the halibut is plentiful; it is such a treat. And well done on a 5 pound per month weight loss - sounds like a healthy way to go.

Bi, I hear you; I will NEVER give up potatoes - especially grilled or mashed neither will give up bread, especially dinner breads.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:20 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Snazzy, so good to see you! My husband is on a quest to find the world’s best Key Lime pie. Fortunately, the best that he has found so far is about 15 miles away!

Manta, I have to concur; cake is the best de-stresser; and I envy your stone walls - love them.

Plenny, I love your story about eating the cake in the car with your hands - it sounds so familiar. Cake in the house will call to me in the middle of the night and I have been known to respond - hopeless I am

Mags, the iced water bottle trick works. You may want to lay them on a towel in bed, though, as they tend to sweat a bit while defrosting.

Dragon, sounds like a good company policy. Isn’t it great not to have to worry about compliance issues!
Old 07-24-2019, 07:54 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Speaking of worry, there is still much to worry about in my life, both from a health perspective and a family perspective. My husband and I are doing the most and the best we can to help our child and grandchildren maneuver through an intolerable situation. Despite the ‘best we can and the most we can’, the worry and stress is ever-present. Due to health issues, my coping techniques are limited to deep breathing and meditation, both of which are very helpful. When the weather cools and calms down, I will be able to get back to gentle kayaking which I find so soothing.

The spot on my eye has changed, although just a tiny, tiny bit and the change in color saturation and density may be due to the ophthalmologist’s brand new, stage of the art instrumentation - here’s hoping (and deep breathing ). Frequent follow-ups continue.

On the good news front, for the first time in almost 20 years, I had an all-clear assessment this week from the dermatologist - nothing to scrape, scoop or burn - Yay x 1,000. I have been taking Niacinamide tablets for about four months after reading the results of an Australian study on the benefits of same on inhibiting cellular changes in the skin. So maybe . . . .

Status quo news (which is, for me, good news) on the pulmonary front. Treatment for LPR, which is known to have a negative impact on the lungs, has been helpful. Recent PFT has shown no further deterioration of lung function. Yayx1,000,000.