Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Diamonds, Opals, Precious Present - Weekenders 24 - 27 May 2019

Notices

Diamonds, Opals, Precious Present - Weekenders 24 - 27 May 2019

Old 05-27-2019, 12:06 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Give me more Monday's like these!

[img] [/img]
Old 05-27-2019, 12:10 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

PS I shall catch up with you as soon as I park someplace in this jungle.

I swear they made a maze out of this place. I follow a walking trail path to arrive at a closed fence. U turn, hit a tree trunk fork on the road...
Old 05-27-2019, 12:17 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Way to go vman!! And beautiful flowers, too 🎉🎉
Old 05-27-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Caprice6 View Post

At first I thought this was just for people who wanted to stay sober exclusively on weekends, then that it was only a weekend thread, now I'm not sure.

Sometimes I like talking about other things non alcohol related or post random pix and talk about my day or life and experiences, places, rambling things and this seems like the most appropriate place on the site that is actually frequented enough to have the best chance at virtually socializing.
It runs all week Caprice and yes, many of the posts here are only loosely connected to alcohol. Often they are posts about things we are doing at the weekend with the subtext being "instead of drinking or being hungover" while other posts are alcohol related observations that people might not want to start a whole new thread with. That said though if anyone is struggling the thread will rally round. A former Weekender, the truly wonderful human being that was Gilmer who sadly passed away last year - not booze related I hasten to add - she once made the observation that you could be reading a post about some really serious stuff one minute and the next post will be from someone saying "I am eating cheese!"
Old 05-27-2019, 12:45 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

😍

[img][/img]This guy is so ugly he's ravishing! So sweet too.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:46 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Snap-on sou? Those are high end tools!
They are pricey Dragon. I started my working life as a teenage panel beater *- aka auto body repair in the USA - and so opened an account with them in order to claim the tax back. It's a long time since I got my hands dirty for a living but I would order a few more bits and pieces every year and a bit more when I was restoring my Lancia. Keeping them makes me feel younger and more useful I think

* my avatar name is that of French coachbuilder Jaques Saoutchik, actually not my favourite but Figoni et Falaschi is too long.

Good to see you MidnightBlue feel better soon.

Sorry about your knee bim, I hope it's not too serious.

Well done on kicking the AV into touch VMan.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by kk1k5x View Post
Has anyone here tried cognitive behavioural therapy? If so, what did you gain from it?
I've done quite a bit of CBT, or rather REBT, which is where CBT came from. here's something I posted about it a while ago:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ute-guide.html (Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT) - a 5-minute guide)

they both use pretty similar techniques & I've found it very useful. I find it gives me some concrete tools to challenge my unhelpful thinking & feelings. I think both therapies have parallels with mindfulness which can be practised alongside.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

CBT helps me a lot...
Old 05-27-2019, 02:05 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Cute pups, Caprice! What is the amber colored animal?
Old 05-27-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Hi guys,

We have landed at the giant sandbox dog playground.

Thanks for all your replies. I got a sandwich at Subway today and just had the 2nd half, no cravings!

I've been splurging a lot lately (alcohol was cheaper). Hairdresser, sandals, sneakers, leggings etc. there's always something and I've also been thinking about non invasive procedures again and skimming Groupon, but there's always a catch. They offer 1 session for maybe $50 but you'll need 6 for $4,000 in the end, rinse/repeat every 4-6 months.
I think I'll eternally be in midlife crisis mode, it all started last year at 39. Sigh.
At least I didn't sign up to e-harmony again, yet and a 4th puppy would get me evicted.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

The Giant Sandbox Playground

The Giant Sandbox Playground

Later the Cane Corso attacked the Great Dane pup, but all's well. Bronx just watched. Rottweilers aren't instinctive but more like observers with a wait and see attitude; a product of their intelligence.

Thank you for the pup compliments! 🤗
Old 05-27-2019, 03:35 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Last dog post for the day, promise.

Match made in heaven

...and prior to this, Bronx tried tried the said Cane Corso, twice. But have no fear, I'm here. It's really about remaining calm and self confident when prying off the 3rd most powerful jaws in doggie land 700lbs bite force/square inch). No one bit, just a question of intervening and the corso was complacent with me even though they get only 2 stars in interactions with strangers.
Have you guessed my profession? 🐕
Old 05-27-2019, 04:01 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Cute pups, Caprice! What is the amber colored animal?
I think they are young Highland cattle Leigh. I saw some briefly when I was in Scotland in November. This is not my own pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20190528_000319.jpg (51.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 05-27-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

I like those fluffy cows.

I took a long walk, thanks everyone for inspiring me. The knee held up. I walked through the local old cemetery, seemed appropriate since it's Memorial Day here in the States. The street names and the name of my little town seem to have been lifted right off the grave markers. It's a lovely old run-down cemetery with dates going back to the 1800s. Some of the grave markers are so worn by weather that I couldn't even read them.

Beautiful day, another sober Weekend in the log.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:48 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I think they are young Highland cattle Leigh. I saw some briefly when I was in Scotland in November. This is not my own pic.
Thank you, Sao!
Old 05-27-2019, 06:47 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Ahh, love all the dogs, Caprice. One of the reasons I love walking in my local parks is to look at all the good dogs.

Sao, thanks for the funfact on your username! I always wondered what it was based off of.

I had a great memorial day with my family. The smoked chicken thighs turned out amazing, and I was able to take home a bunch of food for the rest of the week. Leigh - my mom's partner has a smoker, and invited me over to help out and learn how to do it since we watch a lot of cooking shows together. I keep telling him that we should enter an amateur competition around here. We probably wouldn't win but it would be a ton of fun and we would get good feedback. We cook together every time I visit my mom.

I had an all day craving though and wow I almost convinced myself to drink. I kept asking myself what alcohol would give me that an NA beverage couldn't give me, and the answer is always nothing. I don't drink for the taste and never will again. I made myself a lemon sparkling water with strawberries and basil and it was perfect. Cool and refreshing. My AV is still disappointed because today really was my "excuse" to drink and I won't get one for a long time now. Gotta work on that. My mom has been so stressed out about my grandmother because she fell again and it's time for her to go to assisted living and she is fighting tooth and nail. Lots of thoughts about family, obligations, what's fair vs what's right. Not gonna drink over it though.

Don't wanna go to work tomorrow, but what's new. Night weekenders, thanks for another great thread.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

The word to sum up my long weekend, relax. It has been so peaceful. I had great food, friends, swimming, hot tub, grilling and all of these things were enjoyed without alcohol. Alcohol really doesn’t make anything more enjoyable, it ruins true peace and enjoyment. I’m going to be well rested for the short work week.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:40 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Lol "Fluffy Cow"

Nice pics and vids caprice. I think I need a stronger clue, dunno what you do?

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
... I started my working life as a teenage panel beater...
I think I still have have some panel beating tools around here somewhere. I had big asperatons for my first couple of old beater cars. I think I spent more on trying to fix up those cars than I paid for them in the first place.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:08 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Weekenders

A lovely sober weekend was had.

Caprice, love your dog pictures and the massive sand pit. Are you a professional dog trainer, walker? You have to be firm with them when they get in packs, I imagine. Showing them you’re leader of the pack!

Saou, beautiful creatures aren’t they, the highland cattle.

Had a go on a Virtual Reality game yesterday. (Last time was over 20 years ago, much more advanced now). I absolutely loved it. I sat in a chair with a headset thingy on and could’ve been anywhere. Amazing stuff. I’d like the smaller version for home. Mr.Mags is looking into it, apparently it’s not just a case of buying the headset, your computer has to be able have an intel core i5-4950 etc.

I remember seeing a tv programme years ago and it showed people in the USA on these VR’s and thought how great it looked. This was long before we saw them in this country. Good stuff.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:14 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  
Magsie

Saou, I worked in the office in a garage once and some of the fitters/mechanics had snap-on tools. Every month the guy would come round to sell them. They’re guaranteed for life, I think they said. But several wouldn’t use anything else.