Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Diamonds, Opals, Precious Present - Weekenders 24 - 27 May 2019

Notices

Diamonds, Opals, Precious Present - Weekenders 24 - 27 May 2019

Old 05-25-2019, 06:51 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I've given up enough addictions my life time, think I'll hang on to the ice cream one for a while longer....
Old 05-25-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

It's nice to have people IRL you can talk to about your sobriety eh dpac? As time went on, more and more people in my life came to know about my sobriety. Some didn't get it but eventualy joined the others in support. It's nice to be myself and not have a 'hidden' life.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:05 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Really happy for you mariposa!!! I’m glad things are going your way and you’re slowly chipping away at things.

Bim, it’s always sad when an animal dies. We had one of our older tigers die recently due to stroke. But he was old and had a good life at the zoo so it was his time.

I plan on telling more ppl with time. Thank you all for the encouragement. Kaily, good on you for saying no!! I’ve been having weird one off cravings more frequently too this past week. Hopefully it shuts up soon.

Happy Saturday! I’m at my zoo job today and it’s HOT. hoping the day flies by.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:35 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I just got my new PC set up. This is going to be great both for work (less strain on the eyes compared to my laptop) and if I need to kill off a craving.

I can absolutely respect the folks who are putting dents in their debt obligations. I was basically penniless from Sep to Jan. Going on about 35 euros a week for food. It was doable and it finally taught me how to be prudent with the little money that I had. I was never a big spender (didn't really have anything to spend, because up until Jan this year, I was a 'professional student' - the last stretch there was without any stipend and in Jan they 'not so kindly' asked me to exmatriculate) - buying booze just made any type of saving ideas pointless, because most surpluses went down the throat.

Now I've cleared my debts and have something to put aside. Perhaps it's weird that 'money' was the thing that finally made me scared about my future if I kept going the way I was. But two weeks after being let go, I had a day job I could do from home. Two months after that I landed a separate but related gig that made it possible to clear all my debts. The uni and drinking were my ball and chain, their existence in my life overlapped at around 95%. When one went (uni) and I saw that life outside of those 'choices' was more than possible (and preferable for me), the other soon followed.

Just wanted to share that with you, weekenders and wish good luck and persistence to everyone who's putting one foot in front of the other in their finances.

The world has a way of settling things. Sometimes, I guess, we just have to let it
Old 05-25-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Magsie

Oh Bim, sorry to hear about one of the animals at the zoo, I imagine you can get quite attached to them, I know I do, any animals, even the birds in the tree.

mariposa, pleased things are looking up. I did like that about being sober, I had some money left over, brill!

Quiet day here today, been clothes washing, or the washing machine has, a good drying day.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:27 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Adia (pronounced uh-DEE-uh) scared me. Our zoo is one of those open-air zoos with just moats around the animals instead of cages. The lions have a couple areas where visitors can view them, one of which is from behind glass. Just outside that viewing area is a shallow pool and a four foot chain-link fence. The only thing keeping the lions from jumping that fence and being in the same area with the visitors is one string of security/electrically-charged wire behind that small pond. No reason at all in my view that they couldn't leap over it or even that the zapping wire would malfunction or not be turned on due to human error of some sort. I've heard of too many escape stories to not think that's possible.

One day a couple years ago I was in that viewing area alone on a Monday morning and Adia the Lioness decided I was food. She charged and her full weight banged against the window right in front of me and when I moved, she followed. That fence was ten feet away from me. I had never really been afraid in a zoo but I own cats and I can recognize hunting when I see it. To Adia I was a lone prey and she was hunting. Had they forgotten to feed her when the phone rang or something? I was afraid to leave the shelter since her eyes were locked in on me, she was doing that crouch-stalking, and I felt like her mood was such that she might chase.

So I hid in an alcove where she couldn't see me. I'm certain she could smell me, but I didn't move until some other people came in. For that five minutes or so I was unable to see Adia and had no idea what she was up to. Heart-pounding fear would describe it. That was the last time I went in that viewing area alone.

RIP, Adia. Fierce woman.

Zoo Blog Adia

Adia with one of her cubs. Photo by Jeremy Dwyer-Lindgren/Woodland Park Zoo
Old 05-25-2019, 09:36 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done Mariposa and to anyone else who is inching towards financial stability after alcohol fueled financial mismanagement.

I am exhausted, my youngest daughter who has decamped back to her own flat now went joggin with me this first thing morning only she runs too fast for me. She asked me if I was OK at her pace - as if I was gonna say no, it's too fast and i'm too old. So now i'm done in. Never mind, i'm not drinking over it.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:46 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, Asia is so beautiful, she looks like she had a good life, had a look at your link but will digest it more later.

Saou, really! I’m sure your daughter would’ve slowed down for you!
Old 05-25-2019, 09:50 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

If it's any consolation sao maybe your daughter is telling a similar story, "I can't believe my dad made us run so fast."

I wasn't going to elaborate on the lioness death, but that story of her stalking me is something I'll always remember. I've talked to other people who had similar experiences. We all agreed it wasn't play!
Old 05-25-2019, 09:59 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Magsie

That must’ve been so scary Bim! When you see that look, you was very wise to hide, I reckon she’d have jumped the wire! Sorry my predictive text changed her name from Adia.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:11 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

ha. I probably shouldn't have been playing peekaboo with her. Did I mention that part?

My play games are for fun. Hers not so much. Even my house cat likes it when I hide the feather toy and then pop it out. I wasn't thinking! (and by, "likes it," I guess I mean, "wants to catch and bite it." )
Old 05-25-2019, 10:12 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Magsie

No!
Old 05-25-2019, 10:13 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
saoutchik

RIP Adia, that's a shame and seems vaguely unnecessary.

I'm pretty sure daughter 2 knew what she was doing.

This was either the first or last track she had tee'd up on her phone (I wasn't spying she was writing out a list for some reason)

Old 05-25-2019, 11:10 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Mr

That's a lively track Sao
RIP Adia and cool story Bim.
Happy sober evening to all.
Goodnight weekenders
Old 05-25-2019, 11:16 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Got my walking done, check off small promise no 2.

Sorry to read about the lioness. Beautiful beings, the big cats.

The feeling right after a walk (I'm not really exercising, to be honest, just moving) is incredible. So calm. And I really like calm. I haven't even thought about alcohol today.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:28 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

That is so sad Bim, she was still so young. I hope the Zoo find Xerxes another companion.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:35 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
That is so sad Bim, she was still so young. I hope the Zoo find Xerxes another companion.
Not sure, but I think they've already started looking. That's the plan at least.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:35 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Congratulations mariposa and kk on making progress towards your financial goals.

Debt freedom was at the top of my list in early sobriety and it feels great not to have that chain around my neck. Now I'm contributing the maximum to my retirement accounts and working towards a new goal: two years worth of living expenses saved in a high yield savings account. It will take me a few more years to get there but that goal is making me live an even more disciplined lifestyle. The best definition of discipline I've come across is this: the things you don't want to do become the things you want to do.

Mariposa you are absolutely correct that money does not buy happiness. I believe money buys you options and it buys you freedom. Sobriety and fellowship is where I derive my happiness. Sobriety and solvency, there is a combo that can't be beat!
Old 05-25-2019, 12:38 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Not sure who said it/wrote it, but a quote along the lines of "money can't buy happiness, but it allows you to suffer in comfort".
That's why it's even better, if one's no longer suffering

Late last year when the frugal living was ongoing, I got a bit extra on my bday. Down the throat it went. I felt so stupid after that. Like I had been calculating, saving receipts, doing averages, looking for the best prices/special offers on food items and planning my home menu ahead at least 2-3 days.

And then get a little extra and blow it on beer. The number of activities and plans that alcohol cancels out is just baffling.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Cowabunga, Comrades ~

Surf's Up on the CA Coast, and Sober Life is languid. Sunny, fine Weather starts around here on Monday, so we're just slummin' along under Clouds today, with Rain tonight/tomorrow. Rain clears out late tomorrow for a long stretch of Sun, so we all good.

When booking this area, I ran across this mighty fascinating story. Cecille B. Demille filmed the 1923 Silent Ten Commandments on what was then some very remote Sand Dunes. To prevent a Movie competitor from using the massive Sets he built, the entire Set was buried. With tips he left, and using some Ground-penetrating Radar, some of the Set was uncovered and put on display. Very kewl stuff! The Plaster-of-Paris Head shown below is ~8' tall. The Film Logistics were pretty astounding in terms of supporting a Cast & Work Force of <1,500 Folks in the middle of a very remote Agricultural Community back then. Some ~2 dozen Films were shot out on the Sand Dunes over Decades.

We're surrounded here by both nice Folks and clueless, noisy, Boundary-impaired Drunks at this Commercial RV Park, so I'm looking forward to bailing tomorrow on Holiday-sotted Humanity to more remote Boondocking locations up the Coast. By design/planning. We made new Friends with a Couple, and plan to camp with them 1x/Year or so. Really a treat that made this stay a Net Positive.

CA just edged ahead of the U.K. in terms of total Economic Activity annually, and there's something like >31 Million Folks living here in my Home State. This amps up pressure on just about everything: Traffic/Shopping/RV Sites/Gasoline prices/you name it.

~ Demille's Ten Commandments Film Pictures ~

~ The Dunes Center.org ~

For the Tigress...

~ Adia ~ Sarah McLachlan ~