Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Diamonds, Opals, Precious Present - Weekenders 24 - 27 May 2019

Notices

Diamonds, Opals, Precious Present - Weekenders 24 - 27 May 2019

Old 05-24-2019, 11:38 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi Weekenders,

Just settling in for another sober weekend and looking forward to seeing the family. Plenty of interesting work to keep me busy and lots of yummy cooking to do. All good stuff...

Warm wishes to all, Forwards.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:42 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Back early from Crazy Golf - i'm just too tired. My youngest daughter is staying the night at my place this evening in order to let her flatmate have the place fo the evening with her boyfriend who does not live in London. She promptly went out clubbing herself earlier. It is nice to see her and everything but I was planning to vegetate in front of the TV in my underwear which I can't do now in case she comes back with friends
Old 05-24-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

What's up friends! Just checking in as it's Friday. Been feeling pretty good most weekends and I just treat it like any ordinary day if I can. Some days are harder than others. Memorial day probably won't be easy. I don't want to think about all the beer and BBQ...wups, just did!

I plan to get through it with a little help from SR. I'm staying close the next few days. Hope you're all well.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:41 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you don't stay away too long MB - you're a pretty big part of the weekenders gang

I hope you can sort out something to at least keep enough on your income to live on

D
Old 05-24-2019, 06:39 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Good evening everyone. I hope you all had a pleasant day.

The topic of inflammation. Seems we all are getting that as we get older. That said, my doctor told me to eliminate all dairy products and in 30 days, most of my issues are gone. My younger brother has some other health issues, and he eliminated dairy and sugar, and he is like a new man.

I just tried some non-dairy ice cream. It's not bad. Some flavors are better than others. Cookie Dough flavor - awesome! Better than the real thing. Butter Pecan - not so much. I also bought some non-dairy yogurt. It's made of coconut milk. I like it better than the real stuff and it has less than half of the sugar.

It's a slow weekend for me, I'll be around.

Thank you for being here.

LHW
Old 05-24-2019, 07:56 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi LoveHateWhine,

I experienced something similar. When I quit I started eating a lot of ice cream, like a pint every other day for months! I began to experience terrible aches and pains and I realized it was the ice cream. I've since cut that out- nearly all of it- and wouldn't you know I don't experience that pain anymore.

I always thought it was the sugar. I never considered dairy! hmmm!
Old 05-24-2019, 07:59 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Weekenders

LHW, cutting out dairy products has good results for you! I like the sound of non dairy yoghurt!

It’s so peaceful at the moment even the birds aren’t awake yet.

Got a pretty quiet day today, visiting in-laws later which is giving me concerns with mil’s dementia. I read up on how to react and behave when told something for the tenth time but she is unaware she told me. It’s difficult for fil.

I never tire of waking up sober and enjoying the present time, instead of who I used to be, hungover but still planning my next drink, wondering what time would be acceptable to start drinking again. What a waste!
Old 05-24-2019, 08:22 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning weekenders.

Early sober start and got a long weekend too cause I took Monday off.

Cutting out dairy and sugar aye that sounds like a lot of stuff to go but I think it will be on my to-do list also in the near future...

You have to do what you have to do MB but as D says you are a big part of the weekender. Don't stay away too long..

Its been raining more or less non stop here for over 36 hours now. The outdoor activities have taken a hit

On a brighter note the ear nose and throat doc unplugged my ear yesterday and I can hear again

For the first time since I'm in France (16 years) I recently got my voting card and will be voting tomorrow for the european elections !

Anyways morning all
Old 05-24-2019, 08:56 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Friday night went without a hitch. Went for a long walk with my sister in one of our parks and went to Starbucks for tea. Told her about A.A. and sobriety and it went well. I feel like a weight has been lifted that someone in my personal life knows other than my friend who doesn’t live here.

Drove for a bit, made some money, and now in bed at midnight. Work tomorrow. Night all.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:08 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Another case of the 5AM brain for me. "Get up, stay up - morning brain".

It's 7AM now, just had a weird rogue craving. The weekends still have those 'hey, c'mon, a 6-pack is okay' moments. They're annoying. But - took me years to make it this way, so it won't disappear in 2 weeks.

Planning on that walk today as well. Made me good and tired yesterday.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:45 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Bought some new bedding plants for my garden pots yesterday...pesky snails have been munching on them overnight. I am not comfortable using slug pellets and have tried crushed egg shells to keep them away with little success. I saw someone on TV the other day that goes out in the garden after dark with a torch, catches the offending slugs n snails and releases them in a local forest.

Giving up dairy and sugar makes a lot of sense but can I really give up chocolate mouse with double cream...

Had another antsy AV attack yesterday. I was overtired, hungry and in the supermarket. Wine aisle beckoned me. Lots of people buying their weekend drinks. Hmm I had a moment or two or three of I could ... glad to say I didn't.

Happy Saturday Everyone.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:45 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Mr

That's cool you talked about it with your sister dpac. It does help.

Enjoy the walk kk. Was up before 5 too. My little one had a nightmare and was calling out.

It's 07h42 here and just been out and about with the dog. Still raining and messy.
Time for the morning café

Quick edit. : morning Kaily and Mags and the sleepy heads...

See you all later tonight
Old 05-24-2019, 10:51 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hey Vman Enjoy the cafe..
Old 05-24-2019, 11:41 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Vinny, I think you’re an hour ahead of U.K.

Hi Kaily, kk, and dpac pleased you didn’t give in to your av, Kaily.

Going to collect my groceries in a while( I run out of some things!) and have a mosey round Home Bargains.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:52 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Sober Saturday morning never gets old. Everyone who made it through Friday - well done.

I see no one in my corner of the time zone is around.

The zoo has been stressed out this week. I won't go into details but one of the more charismatic large animals died unexpectedly ...always a tough one.

I'm very happy for the quiet no-construction zone this weekend.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:00 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders!

First week of vacation behind and one more to go ahead!
Life is wonderful! ☼

Have a good Saturday dear friends!
Old 05-25-2019, 05:11 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Good Morning everyone.

Yes, Kaily, the chocolate mousse with double cream does sound good. I have to admit that I do allow myself a "cheat" every now and then. I bought a slice of toasted almond cream cake yesterday at Whole Foods and will eat a few bites of it throughout the weekend. The way I look at it, a cheat with some sugar and dairy is far better than my cheating with wine, lol! Shaking my head at how I used to try to measure out 4-6 ounces of wine and keep it to that. It has taken me a long time to realize that I feel so much better with no alcohol than even just a little bit.

I am heading out to the local farmers market shortly. I need to get a new flagpole for my flag. And while I am there, look around and see what else they have that might entice me. So many good food stands.

Everyone have a great day!

LHW
Old 05-25-2019, 05:17 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Sober Saturday yessss. I was too tired to post last night. I was struggling to stay awake at 10 pm last night, i don’t know how I used to pull all night benders and go on the next day drinking. I’m up at 7:00 am on a Saturday, yoga at 10 so I’ll just stay up. I was tempted when I left work yesterday, 3 day weekend. I got home paid many bills, put $60 in my savings and felt amazing. I had coffee, got ready for the gym and the cravings were completely gone.

Im thinking of going back to my old post and rereading how low I was. Literally penniless. Now I have savings, I’ve paid off about 10% of my debt in just 8 weeks. I did a lot of little things that didn’t get done, like checked my credit report, called a collector and made a payment to them too. My goal is to get a better score to get a zero percent interest rate to transfer debts, and once I get steady work be able to buy a used car.

Money doesn't buy happiness, but being financially unstable is a horrible stressor. I also notice things that frustrated me and sent me into an emotional downward spiral, I’ve come to accept and just keep working towards improving myself.

Time to make some fresh coffee and blueberry muffins before yoga, happy sober Saturday SR.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:30 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Well done mariposa.

Indeed everything is so much easier to handle without losing huge chunks of time to alcohol.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:50 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
...Its been raining more or less non stop here for over 36 hours now. The outdoor activities have taken a hit
My mum once told me that 'back in the day' in England, when it rained hard enough outside, they would go out with a bar of soap and wash off. She never specified what they wore...