Notices

‘Fridge Light was Out’ - Weekenders 10 - 13 May 2019

Old 05-10-2019, 09:15 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

(((Bim))))

Mother’s Day. A truly painful or mixed bag for many. Perhaps better to avoid the greetings unless one knows the situation.

I fall into the mixed bag category - knowing both the joy and agony of motherhood. I am blessed yet also tend a grave and fear having to tend yet another from our common illness. Happy Mother’s Day - yes and no. Watching our disease manifest itself and grow in a child is a pain unlike any other. Did I cause that pain to my own alcoholic mother? A lot to consider on this Mother’s Day.

You can learn a lot from our grocery stores - from the young father with his kids who are taking their time to pick out the ‘best’ bouquet or the prettiest card to the harried, or perhaps angry, adults who grab the first one and maybe carry out a bottle with them. If you pay attention, it is clear that not all are Hallmark Moments.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:29 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Be prepared for all the people who will say, "Happy Mother's Day!"
It's odd but no one will be saying it to me on Sunday. Mothers Day in the UK being the 3rd Sunday in March might have something to do with it and I suppose the fact that i'm a guy could also be a factor.

Really good to see you Willow. You too MidnightBlue.

I have been to London's deepwater dock today, a place called Tilbury which is about 20 miles east of London towards the Thames estuary. I had to bring my boss along for some of the technical stuff which was a bit beyond me. If we get the order it would be to fabricate something called toroid swivels. They are the devices that allow fluids or gases to be transferred from ship to shore and vice versa. To a grease monkey like me it was interesting stuff.

Almost 5.30pm here so the weekend proper is about to start. If you do feel like you might drink or use this weekend do post either here or elsewhere on SR. People will understand how you feel and can help get you through it.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:44 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I am struggling. I don't know where to post, feel alone, a nuisance and a bit desperate.

I want to and go buy wine, vodka or whatever. Draw the curtains, turn up the heating and drink till I have no feelings at all ~ I want to pass oblivion and carry on.

I don't know why.

Being truthful, this has been bubbling a while like a volcano waiting to erupt.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:50 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Um....how many drunks does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Well apparently.... just enough to start a recovery group.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:52 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

(((Kailey))). Really good that you are talking about it.

What else can you do - go for a long walk? Take in movie or two?

What about meditation? Maybe give Deepak Chopra a google and spend some time with his videos.

You are so right - relapses usually bubble for a while before the drink is taken. I am so proud of you for coming here to talk about it.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:53 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Willow, really good to see you. Sending love and support your way.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:28 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, you’re not being a nuisance.
I don’t know if it will help but I used to play the tape forward. You’ve stopped for a reason, think how you will be tomorrow, Sunday or the following week. Remember why you stopped. Work through it. Keep posting. ’s
Old 05-10-2019, 10:36 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Bim, sorry you’re feeling out of sorts. I’m careful what I say to people nowadays after asking a lovely young lady I was chatting to, how long had she got before she had the baby......she’d already had it. . I was mortified and apologised, wishing I could’ve bit my tongue off.

Dee, I love cat videos, brill thanks.
OMG, I did that once, to a co-worker. We were having our first baby, I was an excited father to be. I was out that weekend with my wife shopping for maternety clothing. a the office, a young lady came in wearing what looked like one of the tops we purchased. So I just blurted it out, "How many months"? luckly no one else heared me. I could not apologize enough...
Old 05-10-2019, 10:41 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
I am struggling. I don't know where to post, feel alone, a nuisance and a bit desperate.

I want to and go buy wine, vodka or whatever. Draw the curtains, turn up the heating and drink till I have no feelings at all ~ I want to pass oblivion and carry on.

I don't know why.

Being truthful, this has been bubbling a while like a volcano waiting to erupt.
Post right here, talk it out...
HALT. Hungry? Angry? Lonley? Tired?
The last time I went thru it, turned out I was dehydrated.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:52 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Mr

Kaily you're not alone and it ain't always easy but stick to it and stay posting...
Old 05-10-2019, 11:25 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I'm in.

watching the IIHF game between Slovakia and the U.S.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:29 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

If anyone is interested, I upload some photos of the bathroom reno. Start with the last one first....

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...room-reno.html
Old 05-10-2019, 11:37 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Kaily, i'm glad you posted. You're absolutely not a nuiscance, that is your AV talking, trying to justify picking up. Someone mentioned going for a walk, that is a good idea, it is surprising what a difference it can make to your outlook. It is a nice evening too. Be strong Kaily, booze will not make you feel better. Beating booze will though.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:59 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

The announcers are at it again!
"Ree-bar...no, no, I'm sorry Rye-bar!"
He had it the first time around.

Like with Mrazek (Carolina Hurricanes), they pronounce a simple 2 syllable name "mrah-zek," which just rolls off the tongue, and break it into 3 syllables "Mer-ah-zek," complicating their lives.
There is no "er."
Old 05-10-2019, 12:12 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Glad you posted, Kaily. You are not a nuisance. The whole purpose of this site is support. Others have given good advice already - I hope you get past this difficult little patch.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:48 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Mr

Nice to hear from you MB
Was wondering where you were.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:54 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

You are doing the right thing, Kaily, by posting. Do something to distract yourself, stay close if necessary and I’m sure those feelings will pass harmlessly.

Willow, happy to see you. All the best for Sunday and, I’m sure I’m not the only one to notice that you’ve got a big milestone coming up at the same time!

Midnight, thanks for checking in.

Hello to everyone else and have a great weekend! I hope it’s warming up nicely for everyone in Springland. Our temperatures are dropping slowly but surely. Almost time for the first lighting of the ready packed wood stove.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:55 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Out here NW of Moab Utah as of late yesterday, and Lovin' Life. The kinda-fuzzy, zoomed-out Cellphone Pic is the view from Camp of Sunlight; not Snow. A nice big area w/Campfire Ring left immaculate by prior Campers. Fine Weather, and gonna get better each Day 'til we pack out on Sunday. The Trailer Fridge went on the fritz yesterday Morning, so I stopped by the Dealer and got a wonky Fridge Vent Sensor sorted out. Whew! A free Recall-based Part will be waiting when we return, and I now know how to bypass this one-time Sensor problem. No Labor Charge on either visit. Kinda need an operational Fridge out here, and while on the CA Beach sans Electrical Hookup.

Man, the topic this Weekender is near & dear. Lived it! I'd put off all KINDA things when constantly hammered, and it's been an Adult_y treat to leave that Ethanolic Immobilization far behind. Just prepping for this ~6 Week Trip took nonstop activity the past >Week. New Trailer Tires. Slam in a new Entertainment Center WHICH I'm now streaming 'Net Music to via Bluetooth from my Cellphone w/Amp & long distance Antenna. Got Tires rotated, and Front End aligned. New Wiper Blades. Put on the correct ones after being sold the wrong ones. Oil change, and full Drive Train Inspection. Get a Prescription filled. Buy mo Dog Food & Treats. Way too much else to list here.

I grabbed a new, uber-dense Foam Mattress at Wally World yesterday on the way outta Town, and unboxed it last Night. It's pumped down into a vacuum-sealed Bag, and could have become some Comedy Skit Scene had I not taken it slow last Night while it expanded into shape. *Fantastic* improvement over the dodgy Trailer Factory Mattress. MesaMate's Jockette Back all mo happy now.

After dear ole Mom spent her last ~1.5 Years partially paralyzed from a Stroke before transitioning on, I innocently bopped around a corner in a Convenience Store. Ran right into all the Mother's Day Cards, and could barely pay for Gas before bolting out to have a total meltdown in my Truck. That immense grief has mellowed into Gratitude, and it's all selective, good Memories now. My Parents jumped through major hoops to adopt me at Day 3 back in The Stone Age, and their unswerving dedication illuminated my entire Life. Went off the Rails while immersed in Addiction for Decades, but made it back to synergize among The Sober Living via supreme effort. To me, my Personal Timeline of spending Decades *out* doesn't really matter. Only the eventual Sober Outcome does...

Old 05-10-2019, 01:07 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

MesaMan, enjoy your trip. I’d gladly offer to exchange positions with you for the next 6 weeks, but I guess the chances of a deal would be quite slim.

That last paragraph was very personal and made me think all sorts of things. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:29 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I looked at your bathroom pics, Dragon - Nice work so far! I really like those floor tiles.