Notices

Situational awareness and my ego

Old 05-15-2019, 10:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Situational awareness and my ego

Hi i came here for some advice, im 35 and i drink to disable my ego and forget that my life is without hope or dreams and the feeling of being disabled by my situation. I lose the selflessness and non ego driven understanding part of me when im sober. Heres my situation i moved to another country to be with the woman i love and she fell pregnant. I have two great kids now and i love them and my wife with every fiber of my being. But i am not a resident here i cant work cant drive live in fear of being sent home to the u.k and banned from seeing my kids.so i drink to forget all that i cant do and quell the boredom and self pity my ego and overthinking places upon me... But its killing me, i know i have ulcers my heartburn and stomach pain have been consistent for about 8 of the 10 years ive been here and my drinking tolerance goes up. Any words of advice before i pull the cork and settle into my fate?
​​
Old 05-15-2019, 10:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. Can't you try to get into that country the legal way so you do not have to worry about those things?
Old 05-15-2019, 11:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Trismegistus - welcome

My advice is not to pull that cork - drinking will only make that anxiwety and fear worse and worse.

I'd try and focus on the things you know versus the things you fear - you'e married to a result, you've been there 10 years.

I can't say for sure without knowing more about your situation but I'd reckon you'd be as safe as any other man in the street,

Volunteering did me the world of good. when I quit drinking.

I couldn't work due to health issues but I could still give back to my community and find a little purpose in my day to day life.

Support helps too and you'll find a lot of that here

D
Old 05-16-2019, 01:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The drink seems to be making you more unhappy now, so that's a good reason not to do it and to find other options available to you that may give you a broader sense of purpose. If you are remaining where you are out of a sense of well-being for your family, the alcohol can be a threat to that over time.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Which country are you in ? Drinking will make things 100 times worse
Old 05-16-2019, 05:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would definitely contact an attorney. You may be granted the ability to stay legally but at the very least you would be given a roadmap to follow to be granted that ability.

The alcohol causes all this fear. There is a way to be legal! Step One, put down the drink.