Notices

Class of May 2019 Part One

Old 05-02-2019, 05:36 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
Good morning all. Day 2 here and feeling much better. Good for you Santi.

Hello Caprice, tatersalad, Canuck, Opalblue, and Kremlindusk.

Good morning Strawberry.
Good to hear that you are feeling better.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:46 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tatersalad View Post
i have found that the wrong social events are what usually seem to be the undoing to my sobriety. The longest run i had of eight months was un-done by a friends bachelor party a few years back. I would have steered clear of the event but i could not avoid it due to the fact he is a life long friend and i was in the wedding.
i am faced with another event here at the end of june. I am going on a week long beach resort vacation with another couple that are "drinking buddies" of my wife and I. I cant back out as it is already paid in full and non refundable.
I am not sure how im going to handle this but i keep trying to remind myself how proud i will be if i keep it together.
my wife is also trying to go sober so hopefully we can help each other stay accountable
The week away will be tough, I'm sure. Maybe you need to tell the other couple before you go away that you won't be drinking. You don't have to go into any explanations, they can draw their own conclusions. Or you could even say it's a 30-day challenge or something like that.

For me, to explain before the trip that I won't be drinking would be much easier than standing at a bar and ordering something non-alcoholic with drinking buddies.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:22 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Day 7. Went to early morning AA meeting. I am rested, anxiety free, and sober. I am in hypervigilance mode as far as recognizing triggers.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:25 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Welcome Bob, tatersalad, canuk, caprice, opalblue, kremlindusk, strawberry and anyone I've missed out I'm sorry.

Well done santi, knew you could do it

I'm day 3 and I know I won't drink today or this evening. Will check in later or tomorrow, but I know my husband won't let me drink anyway when we are out tonight

I've been in that many classes I've lost count, but am determined this is my last. Can't live like this anymore.

To be found lying on the pavement by the shops by my husband and daughter pissed is as low as I can go, because if not what is lower?
Had been there ages, had my phone and my purse, obviously as on the way for more wine. Could have been robbed. My daughter looked inside and I had 70 GBP plus about a tenner in change. 100 US dollars and 160 euro. Plus all my bank cards!!

The shame. I can't do this anymore. I deserve a better life, we all do
Keep strong everyone ��
Old 05-02-2019, 06:40 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi Pinky. Your pavement story is very scarey. You do deserve a better life!
Old 05-02-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinky1 View Post
Welcome Bob, tatersalad, canuk, caprice, opalblue, kremlindusk, strawberry and anyone I've missed out I'm sorry.

Well done santi, knew you could do it

I'm day 3 and I know I won't drink today or this evening. Will check in later or tomorrow, but I know my husband won't let me drink anyway when we are out tonight

I've been in that many classes I've lost count, but am determined this is my last. Can't live like this anymore.

To be found lying on the pavement by the shops by my husband and daughter pissed is as low as I can go, because if not what is lower?
Had been there ages, had my phone and my purse, obviously as on the way for more wine. Could have been robbed. My daughter looked inside and I had 70 GBP plus about a tenner in change. 100 US dollars and 160 euro. Plus all my bank cards!!

The shame. I can't do this anymore. I deserve a better life, we all do
Keep strong everyone ��
That's an awful story, Pinky. I'm ashamed to admit that I have several similar ones to tell.

Thanks for your support. It helps to know that there are other people going through the same thing. A quiet day for me today, just doing admin stuff for work.

I'm looking forward to reading your post tomorrow to confirm that you had a nice alcohol-free evening.

Stay positive and strong!
Old 05-02-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Santi27 View Post
The week away will be tough, I'm sure. Maybe you need to tell the other couple before you go away that you won't be drinking. You don't have to go into any explanations, they can draw their own conclusions. Or you could even say it's a 30-day challenge or something like that.

For me, to explain before the trip that I won't be drinking would be much easier than standing at a bar and ordering something non-alcoholic with drinking buddies.
Thanks for the advice Santi.
i may do that , but the only downside is that they know i have tried to quit permanently many times before and jut fell right back off the wagon. I think it may inadvertently turn into a competition/ game to see if they can break me.
I know it sounds horrible but they are just doing what WE have always done in the past. I am trying to change my outlook on life and i dont expect them to understand. They are very comfortable with their drinking habits. I can only hope they see we (my wife and I) are still the same people , just better.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:00 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

i may do that , but the only downside is that they know i have tried to quit permanently many times before and jut fell right back off the wagon. I think it may inadvertently turn into a competition/ game to see if they can break me.
I know it sounds horrible but they are just doing what WE have always done in the past. I am trying to change my outlook on life and i dont expect them to understand. They are very comfortable with their drinking habits. I can only hope they see we (my wife and I) are still the same people , just better.
I've had times like that, drinking games with friends etc. It can be fun for some people and I'm not of the school of thought that says alcohol is evil- period. Some people can take it or leave it. But for other people (like me), alcohol really is dangerous.

I think you have to be honest and upfront with this couple and explain that this change in life is really important for you. They are comfortable with their drinking habits and that works for them, but it doesn't for you and your wife. If they can't accept you as non-drinkers then that's going to be hard. But if the friendship isn't strong enough to survive the change that you want to make, and if in the end it is mostly based on alcohol then it might be time to move on, as difficult as that might be.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:14 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm back after being out two years. At least I hope to be. I'm ready to try and make this may 2019 my new start to sobriety, again. I can't do these half measures anymore.

I dont know if I can quit. I was sober 3 years, how can I do it again? I've failed before.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:18 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi SulfuricSplash. Should we call you that or just Sulfuric or just Splash? I see you're from Florida too. Welcome to the class
Old 05-02-2019, 01:25 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Santi27 View Post
I've had times like that, drinking games with friends etc. It can be fun for some people and I'm not of the school of thought that says alcohol is evil- period. Some people can take it or leave it. But for other people (like me), alcohol really is dangerous.

I think you have to be honest and upfront with this couple and explain that this change in life is really important for you. They are comfortable with their drinking habits and that works for them, but it doesn't for you and your wife. If they can't accept you as non-drinkers then that's going to be hard. But if the friendship isn't strong enough to survive the change that you want to make, and if in the end it is mostly based on alcohol then it might be time to move on, as difficult as that might be.
I think they will accept it . we see them pretty often. there will be plenty of chances prior to the trip to get them used to the idea that we are not drinking. This will be much better for everyone rather than showing up at the hotel and just dropping it on them. Im sure there will be some small attempt or two to get us to drink but i dont think it will be anything we cant handle.
My problem hasn't been saying "no"...... my problem is saying "stop" once i have started. Im kind of one of those "all or nothing " types.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:49 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SulfuricSplash View Post
Hello, I'm back after being out two years. At least I hope to be. I'm ready to try and make this may 2019 my new start to sobriety, again. I can't do these half measures anymore.

I dont know if I can quit. I was sober 3 years, how can I do it again? I've failed before.

You've also succeeded before, focus on that instead. 3 years is amazing, how d'you do it?
Old 05-02-2019, 02:59 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I'd like to join this class. Multiple attempts in the past. I'm currently 500 miles from home and my wife. My mom is in her final days so I'm staying here at her home. Got drunk, fell down the stairs, waited two days to go to the ER. Broken forearm. I just flat out confessed my alcoholism to my two sisters. I don't care who knows anymore. I need to fix this.

Just a stupid drinking nightmare. I'm done with it.

Thanks one and all. Let's make this work. We have to.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:53 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Welcome Pelagic.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:09 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

you can say, we're trying this out as a first on vacation, and stick to your guns. Don't let them turn it into a game, this is your life. Don't have to give them the umpth degree over it, but you can play it off casually while in your mind it's set.
Don't have to mention you "quit" that could lead up to the jokes and games if they heard it all before. My unsolicited advice would be - think it, but don't mention it. I have come to that point with some people I may run into.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome SulphuricSplash and KremlinDusk

Tatersalad - I had friends like that too. Maybe they thought they had my best interests at heart - maybe they selfishly didn't want to lose a drinking buddy...

but I had to let them go from my life because my drinking will kill me.

Its easy to think you're going to lose out on all the changes we have to make...but I never did.
I gave up driunking and gained the world

D
Old 05-02-2019, 04:18 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Thanks bobdrop. I have a splint but I guess tomorrow I get a cast. Thank goodness I'm not driving my car. It's a manual and there's no way I could work the stick!

All upward from here. No more busted bones and cars. No more mystery black eyes. Good Lord I was a sloppy drunk.

I actually don't remember falling down the steps. That's kind of an assumption on my part, based on experience.

Mark
Old 05-02-2019, 04:22 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Oh, I thought the falling part was a drunk dream. Sounds bad.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:26 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Dee I never had to give up any friends or even acquaintances, fortunately.

Either I was worse or they respect(ed) where I was/am at. I could still chill with some sober and it would be okay, but I don't feel like it as much, especially when they get carried away. It's not fun to me being sober around drinkers.

*totally avoid clubs, thought I would never be able to go to one sober until I did for the sake of someone else. I was miserable. And that someone, bless their heart, loved going to clubs dancing, but could not dance to save their life, it was second hand embarrassing, I had to pretend not to know them then.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:30 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

bobdrop I wish it was a dream! I just have a high tolerance for misery, lol.

Take good care and stay sober. I will too. Everybody else as well.