Old 05-01-2019, 04:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

no harm no foul Santi

D
Old 05-01-2019, 06:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Santi27 View Post
Thanks Dee. I've decided to go as if I don't then giving up drink will just feel like a punishment and I'll be sitting at home alone watching TV. The friend who I'm going with knows about my problem.

The last two times I gave up, it really helped to carry on with my social life and I actually found it stressful when friends who I was with ordered non-alcoholic drinks and said they didn't mind joining me on an alcohol-free night. They felt they were supporting me and I can see why, but I felt like I was spoiling things for them.

I just want to stop these awful episodes happening; of being robbed, of losing phones etc. Other than that, life is great. My problem isn't that I crave alcohol. The first few weeks of giving up are always fine as I have an objective and aim. The problem is that I give up and then after a while I think I can control it and so then decide to have that first drink which then becomes 15. I just need to keep reminding myself that 1 drink often leads to 15 and then I put myself in real danger.

Thanks for your support and I'll post tomorrow.
Hi Santi
I'm only day 2 and have an evening planned for tomorrow night and for the bank holiday weekend. I'm going, my husband will be there. He said he would cancel due to my recent (very bad) relapse and just joining AA as he didn't want me to feel pressure, but I'm going tomorrow and I will drive. Then I will judge the bank holiday and decide. I have another AA meeting Friday and WILL have 4 days sober to tell the group
Old 05-01-2019, 07:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks Pinky.

We've got a bank holiday here today and tomorrow, though tomorrow I have to work a bit as the bank holiday tomorrow is a local one and in other parts of the country (Spain) they are working so I have to start tomorrow at 8am. That said, having work the next day hasn't been enough to stop me getting out of control before (I did on Sunday).

I think it's really important that the people you are with are supporting you and that you are upfront about the problem and how you feel. You clearly have the support of your husband as he has offered to cancel going.

I also think it is important to make a plan to ensure that you don't drink. Driving sounds like a great idea as it's another reason not to drink.

I think posting here helps so much and I'm looking forward to posting tomorrow to tell you that I had a nice night at the theatre (I hope the play is good, I bought the tickets before Christmas!!) and that I didn't have any alcohol.

Have a good afternoon.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey Bob ! I will make 6 months with you!
Old 05-01-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
I'm in. Day 1, again. I keep getting to about 2 months and start thinking I'm OK. My goal right now is to make it to 6 months and try to make it permanent at that point. Feel like crap right now. I have no idea how my wife didn't notice how trashed I was last night or how hungover I was this morning.
I'm in a very similar situation to you, Bob. In 2017 and 2018 managed to get to a 3 or 4 month stage and started to think that I was ok. I felt that if I could resist for months and not have any drink at all then I was "cured". I clearly wasn't. I went back to drink and had quite a few nights with no problems, I drank sensibly and was fine. And then I dropped my guard even further and drank to blackout point but managed to shrug it off the next day and then it got worse and I lost a phone and visa cards and it just spiralled...

I'm working on accepting that I have no off switch (it's just who I am, I only buy things like crisps, sweets and cakes for the day I'll eat them as if I buy in bulk I just clean out the cupboard). Alcohol carries the extra danger of being a powerful drug and if I binge eat cake I just feel sick but alcohol carries a far bigger risk.

Whether to aim for a longer time than I managed the time before or to see it as a permanent thing is tricky. Thinking that I will never be able to drink sensibly is hard. Other people manage it, so why can't I? The truth is that I'm slowly realising that I can't. As I said before, accepting it is difficult.

Here's to a lot of positive posts and success stories from all of us in May!
Old 05-01-2019, 11:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Strawberry and Santi. Man, do these day 1's go by slowly
Old 05-01-2019, 11:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yep it's never good Bob ! Tomorrow will be better X then one week will fly by !
Old 05-01-2019, 03:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Acceptance was a tough one for me.

I'd accomplished so many other impossible things in my life yet I could not stop drinking once I started.

Eventually I just accepted I just wasn't like those people who could take or leave alcohol.

I think giving up drinking amd finding it expanded my life rather than shrinking it, helped a lot.

Change is hard and the first few months were tough but I gained the world by giving that one thing up.

D
Old 05-01-2019, 04:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

day 17, evening, gonna go watch a playoff game at 8 at friends', series are tied 1-1. I love it and I hate it, depending on whether we're leading or behind, and in basketball it's often a roller coaster. I get very passionate about my teams, even as a band-wagoner come to find out.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:44 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

i have found that the wrong social events are what usually seem to be the undoing to my sobriety. The longest run i had of eight months was un-done by a friends bachelor party a few years back. I would have steered clear of the event but i could not avoid it due to the fact he is a life long friend and i was in the wedding.
i am faced with another event here at the end of june. I am going on a week long beach resort vacation with another couple that are "drinking buddies" of my wife and I. I cant back out as it is already paid in full and non refundable.
I am not sure how im going to handle this but i keep trying to remind myself how proud i will be if i keep it together.
my wife is also trying to go sober so hopefully we can help each other stay accountable
Old 05-01-2019, 06:48 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

day 4 by the way...
goodnight.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I finally slept on Day 6. My detox periods are getting longer. A couple years ago, 4 days at the most was the extent of my detoxing. Kindling is a real phenomenon.

I rarely left my apartment since last Friday. It felt like the walls were caving in.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you slept Canuck

D
Old 05-01-2019, 10:11 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. It’s taken me 10 years to accept that I cannot control my drinking. I have finally told my friends and family that I am an alcoholic. I am attending AA meetings because I need the help. I am four days sober and I hope to make some friends in this class. Have a lovely day everyone 😊
Old 05-01-2019, 10:27 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome opalblue

D
Old 05-02-2019, 12:32 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by opalblue View Post
Hi everyone. It’s taken me 10 years to accept that I cannot control my drinking. I have finally told my friends and family that I am an alcoholic. I am attending AA meetings because I need the help. I am four days sober and I hope to make some friends in this class. Have a lovely day everyone 😊
Congratualtions on reaching four days! I'm also on day 4 and so far things are going well.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:11 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi guys. Happy to be a part of this class. You guys already seem to live much fullers lives than I, supportive friends, spouses, going out to plays, museums, vacations trips etc

I mainly spend my days working, watching movies, video games, haha. At least I get to live through you guys vicariously :p. Canuck, I was reading some of your posts befire I joined and you've been through the wringer. Im glad you got some sleep finally, bud. Lets turn this damn ship around. Be strong.

On day 5. The anxiety is mostly gone. Last night I swore I was about to go into a seizure while trying to sleep. Earlier today I thought was having a stroke after I started feeling numb in top half of my body. Been just feeling "foggy" now.

Food is starting to taste normal but kinda bitter. My urine hasnt been this clear in years. small victories.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:13 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Day 4

Hi everyone,

So I enjoyed the theatre last night, but my friend wasn't feeling 100% and after the performance we walked home. So standing at a bar with the possibility of ordering a drink didn't even come up, which is probably good for now while I am in the early stages of this journey.

I hope you all have a good day.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:09 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good morning all,

Kremlin - good on you, and don't feel like you're missing out on life, you're still in the first week, after a while, your hobbies may expand, you may wanna treat yourself to a vacation on the money you've saved, you may wanna do more things you find you enjoy. Best wishes and welcome!

As for me, day 18 (17-18? need to check again). Anyhow, turns out the game wasn't even yesterday but tonight. Stayed a bit at friends and then walked the dogs . Enjoyable, peaceful evening.

Today's a long one, better get started. Have a good one y'all!
Old 05-02-2019, 04:10 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 2 here and feeling much better. Good for you Santi.

Hello Caprice, tatersalad, Canuck, Opalblue, and Kremlindusk.

Good morning Strawberry.