Notices

Class of May 2019 Part One

Old 05-11-2019, 05:53 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Thanks for the suggestions! This is just day one for me but I have tried to stay busy all the way into the cocktail hour (it starts about 6 PM every night for me). So far so good. I think I'll make it to bedtime. Day one in the books.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:58 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Welcome and congrats katlin!

welcome elseware, i hope u feel better soon and i totally know what u mean about seeing Dee’s name!

day 7 and i still kinda feel miserable emotionally when i really check in with myself. I went to the gym n started reading a book called boundaries, which made my hour of cardio fly by! I have a feeling this book will be game changing. But nonetheless i had more “plans” tonight n i just dont wanna see the guy even though he seems nice. I just wanna be home curl up on the couch n get some emotional support online lol. Im going to get my sons favorite applesauce so hell be happy about when he comes home tomorrow. I didn’t do aa again, BUT, i looked up the christian 12 steps and id like to work those. Just need to find someone to work them with. I think im more into my faith then aa, aa makes me cry lol, church makes me feel at peace. I really like that. Ill be back later.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:18 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

The thing is, I am a freaking drug addict and I don’t think I ever got that before. Even after all I’ve seen and done. I just thought these pickles I kept getting myself into were just temporary aberrations. WOW I really need to own this. It’s mostly all from drugs/alcohol. The hospital. The docs. The agony. All of it.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:43 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  
Administrator

It can be a shock to realise all that but don't let it overwhelm you Elseware - you're taking the first steps

D
Old 05-12-2019, 12:05 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Welcome Katlin & elseware

Had a decent enough sleep and will spend the day painting.

Hope you all have a good day
Old 05-12-2019, 01:05 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Hi class. Welcome to all newcomers
Day 13
I will not drink today
Busy Sunday ahead then friends popping round later to see our new kitten
That 2 week marker is in sight
ODAAT
Stay strong everyone. We all deserve this
Old 05-12-2019, 02:07 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Welcome newcomers! Glad to have you here and look forward to seeing you around.

Originally Posted by abgator View Post
kremlin, any chance the chest pains are just stress? Basic stress, even without other anxiety symptoms, can certainly cause pressure in the chest. You mentioned acid reflux, which is a big cause of chest pains for me when I'm not sober.

Funny enough, my biggest cause for frequent chest pain is actually my spine. I've had neck and back issues for a long time due to car accidents. A lot of people think chiropractors are snake oil salesman (and a lot of them are), but a good one can be a life saver. If the upper spine, between the shoulder blades, is out of alignment, that pulls on the muscles and all that junk is connected. Now I can fix those pains myself each night with a foam roller. Lay the spine down the length of the foam roller and I hear the crack all the way up. Immediate relief. If your muscles are tight or knotted up, it's very difficult to do though. Maybe consider a deep tissue and give that a shot. Worst case you eliminate a structural issue, but get a massage in the process (not that deep tissue is particularly pleasant lol). Good luck.
Yeah, Ive been extremely stressed out lately. Between the gout flare up, withdrawal symptoms and my boss becoming irritated Ive missed so many days lately (mainly b/c of the gout) I wouldn't doubt its stress related. Supposed to see my primary on Monday but the gout attacked again Friday night and I knew wouldnt survive the weekend without going back to urgent care.

He gave me Prednisone instead of colchicine this time and its giving me a huge headache and body aches. Ive heard a lot of bad things about Chiros as you mentioned but I definitely wouldn't mind one right now. Its the only I havent tried in addressing my chronic pain issues.

ugh I literally have not been able to fully enjoy my 2 weeks of sobriety because it (naturally) coincided with this ****storm . but thems the breaks as they say.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:26 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  
Administrator

One of the things that helped me with gout was making sure I was well hydrated.
Normal advil type over the counter stuff did as much for me as anything else did.

Hope it passes soon tho - it's painful as, KD.

D
Old 05-12-2019, 02:42 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

double post plz delete
Old 05-12-2019, 02:44 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Wow now that you mention it, I have really really need to up my water intake. M generally drinking 32 oz of water a day which Im sure isnt doing its part to flush out the uric acid.

When did you have issues with gout? iirc you're still relatively young. When I first got it people at work kept telling me Im too young (37) to have it (granted most people think im in my late 20s) and it freaked me out because my anxiety obv had me thinking its something else like liver damage, heart failure etc...which Im still not completely convinced its just gout lol
Old 05-12-2019, 03:41 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Hi everyone.

welcome back h379 how are you doing ?
I need to check on regularly get through the weekend. Thanks. Hope everyone is doing well
I am doing very well thanks. How are you doing?
Old 05-12-2019, 03:43 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  
Administrator

Young is relative
I'm in my 50s

I had it periodically through my 30s but I haven't had it since the first year I was sober, 12 years back.

Apart from the obvious not drinking, I eat a lot better and take care of myself more than I did then.

D
Old 05-12-2019, 04:12 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone, and welcome to the newcomers,

Ah gout! I had been mistakenly diagnosed for it, treated and placed on a special diet, until all failed and it was determined to be something else a year later (Hallux Rigidus - big toe arthritis). Even better!

Day 28 (4 weeks) officially by the end of the day. Must skedaddle soon, my schedule is flexible and I love that.

Have a good one!
Old 05-12-2019, 04:14 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 4 weeks Caprice

D
Old 05-12-2019, 05:13 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 12 here.

Dee! I knew it. My gout flareups always came after heavy drinking or heavy sweating in the heat. My Dr. told me it had nothing to do with hydration. I guess I'll forgive him on that one. We see eye to eye on so many other things. He does keep me doped up on allopurinol, though I think that need will go away in not too much longer. I can remember sitting at my desk just eating cherries and drinking water and praying for the constant pain to go away. That is one thing I hope that I never go through again.

Congrats to everyone getting through the early days. Every experience that you go through helps you in the long run towards the eventual goal.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:14 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Oh, congrats on 4 weeks Caprice!
Old 05-12-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 4 weeks caprice
Old 05-12-2019, 07:05 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Day 1, hope it's ok to hop on here though it's halfway through the month.

Not my first class, but it has to be my last.

Just returning from a massive relapse and look forward to getting to know you all, when the brain fog shifts.

Sweetpeacan
Old 05-12-2019, 08:11 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by katlin View Post
How are you doing tonight? I am day one. Day 3 sounds like a great goal to me right now!
Hi,

Well, I've gone from day 3 to day 14, so I'm fine thanks. How's it going for you? The first few days of anything are the most difficult.

I've been quiet this week as work has been crazy and I've been doing loads this weekend too. Sunday afternoon now, so will post in a bit.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:54 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

And so I begin anew. I first joined in 2009 but I guess I wasn't ready to get serious. I just spent the last two days getting oblivious. I am back and this time I am ready to get my life back on track. I look forward to all of the advice and experience that the members on this site have.

Thank you for being here.