Notices

Easter Weekend - Weekender Thread 19 - 22 April 2019

Old 04-18-2019, 02:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Easter Weekend - Weekender Thread 19 - 22 April 2019

Hi, come on and join us!

As it’s Easter, many of us have a long weekend ahead of us, and it can be difficult with celebrations going on.

I remember In the past it was an excuse for me to waste all my days off, binge drinking and then recovering from a hangover, and repeat!

I really thought it would be impossible to stop, but with some hope and determination and the help of the experiences and stories of quitting, from people here on SR, I found I could do it.

Having a plan really helped keep me occupied and helped distract from the cravings.

If you’re newly sober this weekend, give yourself a pat on the back, and smile at your achievements!

If you can stick around the Weekenders, you’re welcome, we all have one thing in common....keeping sober.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Shotgun!

Thank you, Mags.

Though I am not celebrating easter per se, I'll surely be happy to enjoy another sober weekend with some nice weather finally rolling on.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Woohoo! Midnight got shotgun
Old 04-18-2019, 02:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you Mags

D
Old 04-18-2019, 02:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags and hello sober Weekenders!

Count me in for this loooong Easter weekend ahead!

Old 04-18-2019, 02:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I'm in
Old 04-18-2019, 03:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm in please
I'm only day 16 today and we are going away Saturday for a few days to the Ukraine.
I've purposely not booked a lounge at Heathrow as that will be fatal, also it's an early flight so amother bonus. My husband is very supportive and not a big drinker. It's just the evenings, nice meals etc that I'm really worried about.
The hotel has Wi-Fi so will check in when I can
Happy Easter all
Old 04-18-2019, 03:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, I’m in as well. Holidays are rough! I always used them as an excuse to get drunk because I thought I couldn’t deal with my family.

But waking up sober on the weekends has been amazing. I sleep and eat better, feel actually relaxed, get so much more done, and my weekend job is actually enjoyable. No sense in trying to mess that up just because it’s a holiday. More reason to commit to relaxation.

Wishing you all a wonderful easter weekend (if you celebrate!) and a restful and peaceful one to the ones who don’t.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags
I'm in!
Old 04-18-2019, 03:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I’m definitely in!! Always promising myself I won’t drink on the holidays and like you said it’s just another excuse with some time off to recover from a hangover instead of being present and in the moment.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Stick close by everyone. thanks for the new thread Mags!

I have a bit of a conundrum. Ukulele classes are breaking until the fall and I wanted to take some voice lessons in that time. But an opportunity has come up to take a class with a lutheir who recenlty relocated and opened up a studio. It's limited to only five people and it's expensive. I'd be building my own uke and I'd get so much knowledge out of. Not only work working skills but I'd learn fret work care and maintenance and setup.

But, it's expensive and he'll probably run more classes in the future. I would love to learn those skills but it can wait. Plus I have three ukes already. Vocal lessons would be put to good use right away as I'm out with the club singing three, four or more times a month. They would help build my performace confidence. And who knows? Busking maybe? That would be fun.

Looks like I've got to make a pro/con list...
Old 04-18-2019, 04:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks Mags. I'm in.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by Pinky1 View Post
I'm in please
I'm only day 16 today and we are going away Saturday for a few days to the Ukraine.
I've purposely not booked a lounge at Heathrow as that will be fatal, also it's an early flight so amother bonus. My husband is very supportive and not a big drinker. It's just the evenings, nice meals etc that I'm really worried about.
The hotel has Wi-Fi so will check in when I can
Happy Easter all
Pinky, day 16 is great! On my first holiday when I stopped drinking, when we went out for a meal, I had fresh orange topped up with lemonade. It looked and was delicious. And I remembered all of the holiday, which for me was a blessing.

Have a great time and great news your hotel has WiFi, and can keep close if you’re feeling any cravings.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good *problems* to have, STDragon.

No drinking for me this weekend. It is the perfect time to quit, too.

If you've been lurking this thread or this site in general, this is the time to join up, join in, come back to life. Just like the little flowers and bunnies.

I promise you'll never be sorry you didn't drink.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I’m in
Old 04-18-2019, 05:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Mags, I'm in.

Pinky how lovely to be going on holiday, don't ruin it by drinking. Enjoy waking sober and clear headed in a different country. Take the chance to explore your new surroundings without worrying about where or when the next drink is.
I look forward to hearing about your sober adventures.

I don't have any plans but I do have a great big chocolate fudge cake that accidentally ended up in my shopping basket yesterday> Combination of a special offer, shopping whilst hungry and sheer greed. It serves eight, I live alone with no visitors ~ what can I say.

I might as well also confess the extra thick cream I bought to go with it.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, a big chocolate fudge cake! And cream! Alone! Sounds perfect!
Old 04-18-2019, 06:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!

Holidays were never a special trigger for me. I drank all the time so it really made no difference. But I really really enjoy holidays now, mostly it's fun to get together with family and friends and usually involves a day off our two. I really appreciate these times so much more than I did when I was drinking. My family doesn't do anything special for Easter. And I don't have tomorrow off. But I still see it as a special time, because it means spring is coming for real and that's my favorite season. I also really enjoy the candy... I need to try to keep it reasonable though. Too much of a good thing isn't necessarily good.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am in!

Easter never used to mean much to me but it does now.

Same here. Drank all the time so anything that involved being around normal family gatherings were just a problem for me. Had to spend most of the time planning and sneaking drinking. And by sneaking I mean not giving a sh*t and doing what I want and making everyone else nervous.

But not this one!!

Here's to being present and helpful and enjoying with the people who love me and I love!!

Let's all eat chocolate cake with cream!

xoxo
Old 04-18-2019, 07:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
saoutchik

IN!

Welcome Lucy79, lila125 and 360shoes!

Dragon, I reckon this guy still works out cheaper than booze so if Mrs Dragon is OK then I would go for it.

Have a good time in the Ukraine Pinky.

Most people from work went to the pub at lunchtime as here in the UK it is a four day long weekend. I even went along myself for 40 minutes so as not to get talked about. In a not unrelated development there has been an outbreak of Nerf gun warfare back at work this afternoon, it will be a 4pm finish today which is half an hour away.