Notices

Weekender Thread 29 March - 01 April 2019

Old 03-29-2019, 10:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Leigh

Captain, happy Birthday to your wife, enjoy your meal out.

MLD, sounds like fun in a kayak!
Old 03-29-2019, 10:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It is maple syrup season here in Canada so will be enjoying pankcakes and all the other festivities the local sugar bushes put on with my family this weekend Have a great weekend everyone! 🍁
Old 03-29-2019, 10:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Happy Friday ~

Thanks for steppin' up, Mags! There's been several iterations of Weekenders over the Years, and it's nice to see it morph a bit and carry on.

We went down to the Natural Hot Springs yesterday to soak away our non-existent cares. Not many Folks there, and it was sunny & breezy. I decided against posting the Pool Webcam Link yesterday so that my pasty Carcass could not be viewed by those here trying to maintain Sober Serenity. Kind of a Public Service to the Recovery Community, here.

~ Ouray Colorado Hot Springs & Webcams ~

See other Webcams here of Ouray; a very old Mining Town.

~ Ouray Webcams ~

The Road climbing South out of Town from the 'Blowout' Webcam linked above was just reopened after a Month of intense work. There was up to 60' of Snow on some Road sections from assorted Avalanches. It's called 'The Million Dollar Highway' because each Mile reportedly cost that much to build Back In The Day. No Guard Rails. Some Folks have been known to park and walk away from their RVs cuz these Out-Of-Staters just could not psych past the drop-offs.

~ Red Mountain Pass Pix ~

My TV Purchase Strategy is go look at a bunch of them turned on simultaneously at some major Store. Note the 'best' Picture. To you. Go Home. Look up a few Reviews. Get all OCD on a few Tech details, like Inputs/Outputs. Return, and buy one. A Pro Home Theater Guideline is to pick a Diagonal Screen size in Inches that's ~1/2 the distance you sit from it. 96" sitting distance away would thus dictate a 48" Screen. I buy large[r]. Size matters.

Nice, sunny Weather forecast ~10 Days out. A fine Sunrise this Morning...

Old 03-29-2019, 11:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders LoveDD!

Good to see you SoberLeigh!

I wish a Happy Birthday to Mrs Haddock for tomorrow and enjoy that French restaurant on Sunday Captain Haddock. I have seen posters for a National Piano Day recital taking place somewhere nearby.

Happy kayak hunting MLD51. I occasionally see canoeists of various types practising at The 2012 Olympic Aquatic centre, it does look a lot of fun.

It has been a stellar day here weather wise. Roll on summer.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome LoveDD
Old 03-29-2019, 12:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Going to spend the weekend with Billie and my cats.

Billie is such a loving girl. She makes my heart fill with joy.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:08 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Great pic MesaMan.

I just watched one of the YouTube videos of Million Dollar Highway, amazingly breathtaking scenery that I would love to see in real life. Would I drive it? Probably not, I get vertigo going over a bridge!
Old 03-29-2019, 12:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Billie looks lovely, dogs are just the best and most loyal friends ever.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Billie looks lovely, dogs are just the best and most loyal friends ever.
Her love kept me from falling apart when my sweet old man died last fall. She gave me her devotion and it meant the world to me. A friend said that Jack had given her a message before he died, to take care of me and love me like he had.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

there was drinks and karaoke in the conference room at work this evening. people drinking doesn't bother me even slightly, but I draw the line at karaoke!
Old 03-29-2019, 01:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Magsie

I missed the mountain pass pix, gulp! You have to have a brave heart on that road. I drove up and down Mount Teide and that was a bit hairy!
Old 03-29-2019, 03:24 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm in. It's my fourth sober Friday. I feel like my resolve may be slipping a little. I'm going to make dinner, have a fruity drink and check in here every once in awhile. Maybe binge watch some GOT.

Happy Sober Friday y'all!
Old 03-29-2019, 04:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Welcome aboard Chrissy xx
Old 03-29-2019, 04:45 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Great pics MesaMan. Those pics remind me of sitting on a rickety old communist built bus going through the mountains in a country called Yugoslavia which no longer exists now. We were sitting near the front and I spotted that there was quite a lot of "travel" on the brake pedal. Our unshaven driver, who was anyone's idea of a desperado decided to pretend the brakes had failed on about every 3rd bend, to hilarious comic effect (not). Nearly 40 years later my knuckles are still white!

Mags I have also driven up that road to Mount Teide. It is a fascinating drive.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:26 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Yikes, dunno if I could drive a mountain pass like that.

Carefull not to catch anything too big from your kayak MLD, you could be in for a ride!

I don't do karaoke but I am inching slowly toward overcoming my fear of singing outside the shower. Possibly even in public!

I spent the whole day working out the cords to a tune on my ukulele. So much so that I got a painful cramp in my left hand and forearm. I had to laugh at myself 'cause the only finger I could wiggle was the middle one. I think it was tying to telll me something....
Old 03-29-2019, 07:01 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

A lil Friday Night distraction, which I'm a big Fan of...

~ Mount Teide Road ~

I've towed our RV Trailer over Red Mountain Pass several times. Ya let the Truck Gears and a special 'Tow Mode' do much of the Work. The ~7,000 lb. , 25' Trailer has stout Electric Brakes on all 4 Wheels.

In the Vid linked above, at the 1 Minute mark, that Road is pretty much like several Roads I towed in N. California. The old Lumber-hauling Roads - upgraded and paved from when built back in the Days of no Standards - have the most insane tight Curves and Grades I've ever been on. 'Twas a fine time to be Sober...
Old 03-29-2019, 08:25 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Chrissy, good idea to have some dinner, helps keep the cravings at bay. My husband watches GOT and is eagerly awaiting the last series showing in April.

Mesa, thanks for showing Teide video. I remember they filmed some of our tv series ‘Planet of the Apes’ years ago, with Roddy McDowel as Galen, on parts of the land going to Teide. It does look out of this world though!

Saou, I remember the many flowers at the sides of the roads (in the days before we used to lay flowers where there’d been crashes/accidents! )I clipped my wing mirror on the hire car going down Teide on the side of the mountain wall. Luckily no damage done.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:11 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hello sober weekenders! I'm in for a weekend made of plans to attend a community theater, cook at home, restful sleep, laundry, taxes, laughter with a friend, an extra long walk, changing my headlights, reading, mind clearing, and catching up!
Old 03-29-2019, 10:36 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good Morning
Old 03-30-2019, 12:07 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning,

The road to Mt Teide is in better shape than when we drove up it in 1985, there is more traffic about today though. There were still a few old-timers alive back then who could remember when it last erupted in 1909 or thereabouts. Our little hired jeep, a little Suzuki, boiled over on the ascent. By a real stroke of luck it happened next to a small man made lake that was hidden from sight of the road. We had to unscrew the windscreen washer bottle and filled up by making about a dozen trips to the lake.