Notices

Auditory Hallucinations

Old 01-03-2019, 09:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I experienced auditory and visual hallucinations. It is very scary, and not something I would want to go through again.

Are you in the UK? If you are and need some out of hours medical advice, you could try NHS 111, they'll be able to help assess where you're at.

On your other thread, you mentioned the number your GP had given you for the alcohol support team. Have you had an opportunity to give them a try yet? They may have outreach staff who can come to you. Also, I wasn't sober when first in contact with services. If that had been a requirement, they would never have been able to offer me any help.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Pipe, I lost my phone on my binge unfortunately. So pretty stuck in that regard.

I meant for the psychological assessment that I need to be off alcohol
Old 01-03-2019, 10:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Don't get into arguments with the neighbors. It's none of your business.

If they're loud and bothering you, call the police but don't get into it with them.

Can you eat something? A cheese sandwich or whatever you can?
Old 01-03-2019, 10:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi blue, I'm not going to confront them, I just wanted to see if they would come out because whatever I heard sounded at the least annoyed. Still none the wiser whether I'm imagining this or not. Definitely seems to be coming from next door though. As I get closer to the more it seems the more it amplifies. But as to what they are definitely saying, God only knows.

Best just accept it as I don't really know and just see what happens. Hope for the best prepare for the worst lol
Old 01-03-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yep going to make food soon I have a microwave meal. I'm really hungry so looking forward to it
Old 01-03-2019, 10:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Fortunate thing is I have more money in the bank than I expected which is very unusual for me after a binge. So hopefully that will carry me through unless bills come out.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I didn't have that much in the way of visual hallucinations when I quit, but I had really irksome auditory ones. It only happened when I was trying to sleep at night and it sounded like the radio was on, but was constantly being turned to a new channel every few seconds. I felt rational and knew it was all in my head, but at the same time, the voices are there and you can't turn them off. They went away after a few nights.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I've experienced severe auditory hallucinations a few times when going through my worst withdrawals and it was always worse due to lack of sleep.

They came in the form of family members and friends talking about me. One of the worst things I've ever experienced! I could hear them talking about me in the next room, saying every bad thing I've ever thought about myself. They were as clear as you being in the room and talking directly at me. I had to keep checking the next room because I was convinced they were real. I remember thinking that must be what it's like to be schizophrenic and constantly have voices in your head.. scary stuff.

They got so bad one night I had to put my headphones in and put music on full blast just to drown out the noise. At my very worst I ended up in an ambulance because I was so convinced the voices in my head were real. I thought I was brain dead and in a coma. I could hear the voices of my friends and family gathered around my hospital bed (in my head even though I was sitting at home) talking about how I wasn't going to survive. I could even hear the machines around me beeping and keeping me alive. I can remember it all so clearly and it felt so real. I never had any mental health problems before alcohol... It truly is the devil.

And yet after experiencing all of that I still didn't quit? Just proves the insanity in alcoholism.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:59 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

It's probably the withdrawing brain trying to process the ambient noise in the house that you usually tune out.

While on my last alcohol binge I started this when I'd let myself go into unsupervised withdrawal, but most of the hallucinations were more visual, like trails and persisting afterimages that were kinda, but not really, similar to what you see on acid or 'shrooms.

When withdrawing from klonopin it was much more serious. It sounded exactly like a horn section playing a repeated chord progression was following me around, it did NOT sound like it was coming from my head. Rather behind me and to the right, and it would shift positions when I turned my head. In all cases I could easily differentiate that they were hallucinations.

I would suggest that you get some sort of medical supervision for your withdrawal. I didn't through several horrific withdrawals, but my final withdrawal was under medical supervision with a benzo taper, as my doctors said in no uncertain terms that this time I was at a high risk for seizures and DTs. Not at all saying that this may happen to you, but better safe than sorry.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Oh yes. I had the same thing. It was...wow. how to describe it? Maybe kinda like an orchestra playing in the background? If it isn't driving you absolutely crazy, try to listen to the tune? Maybe it's your spirit guides.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

The doc might have just noted it and made the alcohol treatment suggestion bc nothing other than alcohol treatment is going to help this.
Im sure if she thought it psychiatric she would have advised that variety of treatment.
Get a friend to watch your dog. This is really serious.
Jules
Old 01-03-2019, 04:18 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I've read up on withdrawals Jules and though it is serious enough I don't think it is that serious to need that much urgency. I'm doing ok, I bought 8 cans today and only drank 2 and a half cans, so it isn't like I'm going mad over them like I usually do. I'm attempting to taper off. I worry that if I do just go cold turkey without the support available I would just go on another mad binge! And I don't want that because that is when I get black outs and wake up thinking oh no what has happened. I can't bear another one of them.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:22 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have to be honest with myself and say yes I still want the alcohol as a crutch until I get support. If not, it has happened countless times, I go right I am going to do this, no more beer. Then I start wrestling with the urge get frustrated, confused and wham! I'm gulping it down like a fish and that is when I start making mistakes.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:28 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Keep posting and keep reading.

We all have those urges to drink when we have decided not to.

I don't drink no matter what my brain conjures up. The more I refused to give in, the easier it got.

I'm sure you've discussed this somewhere on the site already since you have quite a few posts, but if you want face to face support in your quit, what about AA meetings? Don't keep putting off quitting, there is lots of support right here - hundreds of us are on this site every day and we completely understand the thoughts that tell you to drink. It's just a thought. Thoughts come in and they can go right back out without acting on them.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Have you read the Urge Surfing thread?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...e-surfing.html (urge surfing)

Also, there are many helpful threads in the sticky post at the top of Newcomers called Recovery Programs & What to Expect (What We Did)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...at-we-did.html (Recovery Programs & What to Expect (What We Did))
Old 01-03-2019, 04:41 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I disagree with that notion that it is only a thought. It is physiological. It gets to a point where it's almost like a reaction similar to how a goalkeeper would put his hand up if a ball was coming towards him. It doesn't happen over night. And people come off it differently. I do think some people need that as a necessity but I don't think it has to for all.
I tried it for rehab, two weeks out of rehab back on trip.
I am super impulsive unfortunately and know my self control needs a lot of healing. If I don't drink I'm same with other things. This is not me making justifications, as far as I'm aware, it is what I've learnt from my experiences. I know what I need but it is getting that sort of support which will be difficult.
I just have to keep trying and stay on here.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:44 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

why not go to a meeting instead of buying/drinking more cans? Not sure what type of "support" you're waiting for? No one can get you sober but,yourself. I only prolonged the misery by continued drinking..no matter the amount and it, as you know well, always led back to the same old same. I had to break the cycle by owning my stuff and going the opposite way of my drinking lifestyle. I had to stop lying to myself about the 'I'll stop if x,y,z stars align' and start taking some action towards quitting. Be it AA,smart,SR,or just not drinking..**I** had to do it for myself.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

The other aspects of my life need to be addressed such as the social anxiety and the quality of my living, if not, I just struggle and struggle and boom! Takes a split second reaction to find myself with a bottle in my hand
Old 01-03-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Like I say I feel I'm impulsive, I have said countless times, right I will stop for definite absolutely convincing myself I would then next thing you know I'm holding a pint and game over.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:49 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

"I'm doing ok, I bought 8 cans today and only drank 2 and a half cans, so it isn't like I'm going mad over them like I usually do."
I hope this works out.
Jules