Notices

Auditory Hallucinations

Old 01-03-2019, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Auditory Hallucinations

The one's I've been experiencing seem to be like whispered versions of talking and singing.

Today I've noticed I'm more in doubt about them. Like I hear it and think is that actually someone playing a prank or something?! Then I'll put my ear to the wall, or check each room to see if I still hear it. It's bizarre to say the least.

What was your experience of this during withdrawal?

(By the way, I'm not asking for advice, I know it is hallucinatory, as it coincides with my last crazy night of drinking)
Old 01-03-2019, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I never had any audio hallucinations during a withdrawal, including this one. I have read stories though about others going through this though.

A couple years ago I had to go to the ER because of severe head pain, it was more than a headache or migraine and lasted for days. By the time I went in, I remember sitting on the table and watching smoke come up from the door. It was a full on hallucination, but to me it was very real. It turns out I had a very bad sinus infection and it was putting pressure on certain parts that caused these hallucinations. It was scary, and I can only imagine how scary it's being for you to hear these voices.

Since we do some much damage to ourselves with the alcohol, I think the brain is re-adjusting. I read that we lose gray matter for example, and it will grow back but it can change on where it used to be as opposed to where it grows back. The science behind this fascinates me.

I know you're not alone in this, and I wanted to reach out and just send good thoughts your way. I'm sure this will pass, and I hope it doesn't last too long.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I had audio, visual and other sensory hallucinations. It's spooky. Those whispers are horrible. I would go around and smudge my house with sage. I would pray to be left alone and for it to stop.

I used to listen to white noise all the time or classical instrumental music. I had to have a distraction from my own head but I couldn't listen to music with words.

And that is why I'll never go back to drinking. So scary.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, kindling , I read up on that and that is horrible to realise that the more you drink the withdrawal symptoms just get worse. Binge drinking from what I read is most harmful in that respect because the brain is getting pummelled more often, as well as the organs.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This has been the first time I've experienced them which shows I am floating into difficult territory, and need to stop some time soon
Old 01-03-2019, 06:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonewolf22 View Post
This has been the first time I've experienced them which shows I am floating into difficult territory, and need to stop some time soon
Oh, I thought you were in early sobriety.

Yeah, when I was drinking I had all kinds of delusions. I didn't really even realize how bad it was until I started sobriety.

What are you waiting for?
Old 01-03-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well I didn't know what to do. I didn't dare go out the house for first 3 or 4 days from my last binge. I decided to get few more cans. 4 for last night and 4 for today to go to the doctors. I can see how the justification is in there so I have to be careful of that.

I'm definitely not buying crates like I did on last binge thinking I would be able to preserve more. No way, just drink more.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're going to the doctor.

If you're down to four for the last two days after a big binge, then yeah you're having hallucinations from withdrawal most likely. It goes away. Not right away but it does.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Could you sleep during withdrawals? I think that has affected me too. The lack of sleep.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Try some SleepyTime Tea. It actually works (can even buy it at walmart).
Old 01-03-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Its been awhile but I have had these when going through bad withdrawals. I think its basically the way it has been described in the AA big book, and like you said, it sounded faintly like someone playing music very low in the next room and i can hear it through the wall...but nobody's in the next room and there's no music playing there.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I get some minor visual hallucinations when coming off of a big bender, but they do subside after a few days (and aren't too bad to begin with thankfully).

Glad you're visiting the doc. Sleep is vitally important as you stop drinking which can be hard as the withdrawal phase can cause you to have bad insomnia.

Hang in there!
Old 01-03-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I experienced, word for word, what you are experiencing the second time I went through withdrawal.

Then I started drinking again and had to withdraw for a third and hopefully final time. This last time I had "graduated" from auditory to full on hallucinations. One night I was a shivering, shaking, sweating mess trying to fall asleep and I couldn't...because my ex-wife was standing in the closet brandishing a butcher knife. Not saying a word. Just waiting for me to fall asleep.

I think the hallucinations more than anything scared me straight.

Also I last had an episode of PAWS 20 months into sobriety. Between the hallucinations and PAWS I have no doubt that I did substantial damage to my brain from drinking.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah, it's like the borrowers having a party but you can't find where they are.

That does sound intense! Hoping to God I don't reach that point. I got a few hallucinations in the dark with shadows or the sudden feeling that someone was behind me but not that. So glad you don't go through that now.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Im going to go out on a limb here and say if you are hearing things that you should go to a doctor or hospital. Google wet brain. You are well on your way to it. Moderation or controlled drinking does not work.
I experienced auditory hallucinations twice. Horrifying, truly terrifying. Once checking into a rehab and after that while in a hospital bed being medically detoxed. I actually asked an orderly who was mopping my room to tell them to stop talking in the hall. He got a nurse who got a doc. And its all well documented I'm sure.
This is serious. Talking about auditory hallucinations in a blasè way is worrisome.
Please seek medical care. You won't regret it.
GL,
Jules
Old 01-03-2019, 09:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I mentioned it today to the gp, I am paranoid so might just be how I perceive it but I always think she feels that I'm lying. She mentioned nothing of it apart from giving me number for nearest alcoholic service to me.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I couldn't get into a rehab, I have a dog. I do think that would be best thing for me.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think I'm going to open my door because I'm sure I heard next door ranting to another bloke. 'I heard something along the lines of
'just say to him I don't deserve this'.
'Ah, ef him man, don't give a **** about him'.
Then something that resemble along the lines of we were having an argument and I (as in me)started saying I love you, I love you and he reply an ef off you daft bleep, getting on my nerves.
So yep I'm either going to get a confrontation or these hallucinations are getting bad.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jules714 View Post
This is serious. Talking about auditory hallucinations in a blasè way is worrisome.
The reason I share my experiences is because I want to impart that there are serious repercussions from long term heavy drinking.

I must admit I am a little astonished when people attempt to quit drinking after numerous relapses. Perhaps their withdrawals were relatively mild. That has NOT been the case in my personal experience.

Again I want to let the OP know that my experience mirrored his (hers?) the second time I went through withdrawal. The third time I was tripping hard. After a year and a half of sobriety I've still been experiencing crazy mood swings out of nowhere. Please get off this rollercoaster.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's weird because I only seem to hear the chatter when I'm in the house. I don't know! Just got to accept whatever happens.