Notices

Auditory Hallucinations

Old 01-03-2019, 06:06 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonewolf22 View Post
The other aspects of my life need to be addressed such as the social anxiety and the quality of my living, if not, I just struggle and struggle and boom! Takes a split second reaction to find myself with a bottle in my hand
I had to start with what was causing chaos...MY drinking..then other 'life $hlt' started working out(most times). If you have social anxiety..I'd wager it's stemmed from your drinking..If your quality of living is not up to your liking..again..it's stemming from your drinking. Why not write down your 'life issues' on a piece of paper and work towards fixing from the most obvious cause..your drinking? How about impulsively going on a gym/health kick?,,Focus your drinking 'time/$$' on bettering your life?..Excuses and wishes will not get/keep you sober,nor will they better your situation. Get to work or just keep doing what you've admitted is not working for you. Either way OWN your choices/outcome.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think until you stop buying more cans you're going to be stuck in a loop,LW.
You need to break the cycle to get out of it.

I get its hard.

I realise you're not close to any of the face to face support being offered, and I realise that rehab would be difficult with your dog.

I realise that you suffer from things like anxiety, depression and, like most of is, you can be a little obsessive.

I realise you're not feeling well at the moment and are very scared.

We've all been there LW and you can take comfort from that.

We've been there - and still got and stayed sober despite all those things.

You have access to the greatest source of help and inspiration the world has ever seen - the internet.

Use it - find support - for mental health as well as addiction - and use it.

Read ebooks., Listen to podcasts. Research some recovery methods.

Become inspired. Change your life.

Don't buy any more booze.
'I have to drink until X happens' is precisely the way I lost two decades of my life.

Break the damn cycle, man.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 01-03-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:01 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Lonewolf, it's not a good idea to go from buying 4 cans yesterday to 8 cans today. You are going the opposite direction. I understand the need to taper the withdrawals. I did it last week. However, you are bringing yourself back to square one and will have to withdraw all over again.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:10 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I had an awful awful withdrawal. I have an amazing mom who took me to her house to detox so I didn’t have to be alone. The first night was mostly sweats, puking, shaking, and zero sleep. But about two am I heard music outside, I figured her neighbors were having a party. When the music stopped I started hearing my younger brother yelling things. Mostly cuss words. I figured he was playing late night video games. Turns out none of that was happening and I was just hearing things. The next day when I tried to sleep I would hear whispers coming out of the fan, or like a radio being turned to different stations. I also heard someone talking about me in a voice that was in slow motion. It was terrifying to me. And thankfully after a lot of hard work, I have 3.5 months sober. My withdrawals were never that bad in years past, and it’s true they just keep getting worse, i never want to find out how much worse they can get for me. Quitting cold turkey was horrible, but after that first week most of my symptoms were gone.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:16 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Lovely to hear that Kiki glad your recovery is going well it seems the radio station one is quite common, I had the same one.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:34 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Just to the people telling me I need to stop buying beer and stop drinking. I appreciate your comments but I'm a few posts I have commented on how there is a part of me that doesn't have the will to stop right now. So my plan is to minimise my drinking so I know I won't blackout. I know myself this is kind of living on a tight role but so is every addict no matter which option they take. I have sent cold turkey many times and within a few weeks I'm drinking again.

So I guess, surprisingly, I do still want to drink but I don't like that I still want to drink. It isn't even necessarily the 'me' that wants to drink. It is a desire, a craving, a substitute. So I'm afraid this is the option I take. While just drinking to a minimal I am going to seek support and get things in place. I don't know myself what is going to happen but I have to keep trying. And here I'm just trying to be truly honest so you know what my position is and where my head is.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:27 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tapering never worked for me. If I could control my intake of booze, I wouldn't need to taper.

If you've decided to taper I would have a downward trajectory planned and a definite start and end date fixed, one not too far in the future.

If you find yourself going up in intake, missing any targets or simply plain out and out drinking you may want to reconsider the approach.

You came here for a reason and you continue to post for a reason.

People are going to continue to give you good advice about how you can quit and stay quit

D
Old 01-04-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

You're surprised that you still want to drink?
Wow. We are alcoholic. We want to drink. Especially when we are drinking. You are drinking and hearing things and you say you don't like that you still want to drink...it is impossible to stop drinking while drinking.
If you really quit and give it a couple months the transformation will be remarkable. Make a plan, you seem very cerebral. It's not going to be easy nor instantaneous. But it gets easier! And then its life. It's a lot of work and time and feelings and you know what? Totally worth it. Furthermore, you can do it. A ton of people have. They want to see you work your recovery.
You are indeed here and posting for a reason. Stop robbing yourself, your future and your loved ones and actually live!
Honestly are you willing to get comfy with hearing stuff? C'mon now...get yourself healthy. So worth it!
GL,
Jules
Old 01-14-2020, 10:44 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WeThinkNot View Post
I experienced, word for word, what you are experiencing the second time I went through withdrawal.

Then I started drinking again and had to withdraw for a third and hopefully final time. This last time I had "graduated" from auditory to full on hallucinations. One night I was a shivering, shaking, sweating mess trying to fall asleep and I couldn't...because my ex-wife was standing in the closet brandishing a butcher knife. Not saying a word. Just waiting for me to fall asleep.

I think the hallucinations more than anything scared me straight.

Also I last had an episode of PAWS 20 months into sobriety. Between the hallucinations and PAWS I have no doubt that I did substantial damage to my brain from drinking.
I know this is an old post but did you ever have the hallucinations again after you stopped drinking, like in PAWS? How severe were your PAWS. Just asking because I went through a similar situation the last two times I detoxed. I’m now 34 days sober but am so scared of the hallucinations ever happening again!
thanks!
Old 01-14-2020, 11:29 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lala

I've actually never heard of auditory hallucinations with PAWS lala, but others may have....

How long after you stopped drinking were the hallucinations?
Old 01-15-2020, 03:39 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

My last withdrawals last May nearly killed me- Insomnia, horrid nightmares with hearing things after waking up, uncontrolled shaking and vomiting, crazy heart heart, off the scale paranoia and anxiety. They lasted a good few days due to the huge volumes I had drank the previous week. Had to go on Benzos to stabilize me. I defiantly suggest a detox plan for you. Good luck!
Old 01-15-2020, 05:50 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I was in the ER around Christmas with visual and auditory hallucinations. Bright flashing lights of different colors and sounds I'm not sure if anyone else was hearing.

The first time I went through alcohol withdrawal was boxing day 2005. I was drinking very heavily for 2 months. A fifth of vodka daily, more during the holidays. Saw the 'shadow people' who I'm sure others have 'seen '. I thought I had the flu back then and didn't realize I was a full blown alcoholic that was physically dependent. Madness...

Whoops, old post.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:33 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I've experienced auditory and visual hallucinations during withdrawal.
The most disturbing auditory hallucination I experienced was an early morning while I was in bed. I heard a commotion outside. Then I heard my neighbor cursing at someone, then a gunshot. I was so shaken up I had to walk outside to make sure none of it was real.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:53 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

This is what like my boyfriend had I guess. I was not like full seizer what he had on December 17, 2019, which I witnessed first, I was scared to death. But the second one was on July 2020, it was like he could not sleep atall after alcohol withdrawal and then about at 10 pm while we was doing something on the phone, he said he saw colourful flies and saying " what is this colourful things" looking thru the wall, then started mild seizure. It was better he was sitting, that 's why iot became milder. He is like heaving binge drinker, in Mongolia vodka is always 37-40 pretty high

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I was in the ER around Christmas with visual and auditory hallucinations. Bright flashing lights of different colors and sounds I'm not sure if anyone else was hearing.

The first time I went through alcohol withdrawal was boxing day 2005. I was drinking very heavily for 2 months. A fifth of vodka daily, more during the holidays. Saw the 'shadow people' who I'm sure others have 'seen '. I thought I had the flu back then and didn't realize I was a full blown alcoholic that was physically dependent. Madness...

Whoops, old post.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:16 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

We have had a few members that have had auditory hallucinations, so perhaps it's good you brought it back to life.

How are you doing lately Enkbaa?
Old 05-24-2021, 06:53 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

It use to happen when I was actively using but sober at the given moment. I wasn't a daily drinker, usually just a couple times per week except when the obsession took over and put me on a several day binge. I doubt it was any kind of withdrawal in my case.

I use to hear what sounded like noise from a baseball game on TV. I would hear this and then as soon as I moved my head or something it would suddenly stop. At first I thought it was from a neighbor and I'd get up to investigate and it would stop. Then I realized I'm really going nuts! I would laugh about it and try and listen in and ask myself, well who do think is playing and what's the score? Then I'd think maybe its basketball, it just didn't sound like it could be football.

One theory was I use to hear this a lot walking in my house as a little kid, my father watching an afternoon ball game. He died when I was young and maybe deep down this took me back to a stable childhood with 2 good, "normal " parents. Like my mind was working overtime seeking, I don't know, something peaceful or normal.

Old 05-24-2021, 06:57 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Enkbaa
D
Old 05-24-2021, 10:57 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Dear Advbike,
Thanks, I am so scared of the seizure.... I am seperated from the boyfriend, but we still keep in touch on the phone. Its been 5 years but there is no drastic solution, He is still driniking and every six months he is having seizure, He drinks at least 14-20 days daily vodka, without eating anything. Mongolian vodka percentage is very 37-40. I am trying to not to fooled by him, but I was so hurt by him he ignored my birthday consecutively last three years, that was last straw I guess.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:00 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thank you D74!!
Old 05-24-2021, 11:42 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Dear Reckless,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and concerns.
I recently I read news in Singapore that Australian guy who married to Singapore lady killed his wife because he listened his internal voice to finish her. He has schizophereina.
I was concerned, I have a question.. Is visiual hallincunationis not like schizopherina?