Notices

Class of November 2018 Part 3

Old 11-29-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

A Happier Hour

Hey Guys, day 2 and craving a drink. I’m currently reading A Happier Hour and so far enjoying it, half way thru. But I can’t help but feel jealous that at the authors first real attempt, she’s already made it to say 15 without drinking. I’ve been trying for years, and can’t seem to even get back to 5 days sober.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

A Happier Hour

Hey Guys, day 2 and craving a drink. I’m currently reading A Happier Hour and so far enjoying it, half way thru. But I can’t help but feel jealous that at the authors first real attempt, she’s already made it to say 15 without drinking. I’ve been trying for years, and can’t seem to even get back to 5 days sober.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sorry not sure why it posted twice.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try not to jump ahead mentally too much Jillian - all you have to do today is not drink. Keep doing that and the days will take care of themselves

what do you do to deal with cravings apart from posting here?

D
Old 11-29-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry folks - I forgot to close off the old thread and moved some posts across so be aware so there may be new posts above that you haven't read since your last visit.

D
Old 11-29-2018, 02:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Dee - reading, trying to keep busy, just sit with it, I’ve tried everything it seems.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by orderfororder View Post
Wow, dafunbra. If I received 37 e-mails from anyone I'd feel stressed, let alone from an ex who I've had a bad falling out with. Glad you stayed strong. I think you'll find that times where it is stereotypical for others to drink (times of high stress) are the absolute best times to stay sober. This way, you can let the external craziness pile up on itself rather than getting drunk and possibly participating in it.

---

Today is 51 days for me. I had to go back and count because I had stopped counting. The number is nice to know, but what is more important to me is my dedication to stop drinking. I don't think about drinking much these days except for when I'm bored, but even then the thought isn't a temptation, but rather a reminder of the state of things: "time seems slower because you're used to drinking to pass the time."

I keep myself busy, work hard. Not worried about parties nor do I have a "fear of missing out." Christmas and New Years will be fine. There will be parties upon parties until the end of time, I can miss a few. I'm not ready to go back into those environments yet. Having all of this sober time has really led me back to figuring out who I am, something I seem to have tried to put off by staying drunk. The journey has just begun, it feels like.
Your post was really helpful Order thank you. Many congrats on 51 days
Old 11-29-2018, 02:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
Okay, I'm going to try this venting thing and see if it helps me feel better. This is going to be long and probably incoherent. Here goes:

My 8-year-old little girl wants to do an activity. My husband said yes, and he told me to go ahead and sign her up. Oh, she was so excited. Wouldn't stop talking about it. Then yesterday, just as we were going to go, he starts back pedaling. It costs a lot of money, the times aren't convenient, and so on.

Okay, he had all the information he needed to make a decision at the time when he gave the okay. If we can afford going out to eat as often as we do, we can afford this. If cost is an issue, how about we cut out one of those restaurant visits each weekend.

And the timing issue is just nonsense, since I would be the one taking her.

It would be good for her, and she doesn't have an activity outside of school. We've been talking about this for a long time, and he agreed with me that we should find something healthy and fun for her to do.

It would be different if this were a one-time thing. Okay, so you need more time to think things over sometimes, I get that. But for **** sake, do we have to do this over everything?

I'm used to him doing **** like this and letting people down, but I can't take her disappointed little face. She doesn't ask for much, and she probably will learn to stop asking for anything if she knows her parents' words mean nothing. Because I told her that I would sign her up, thinking my husband was cool with it. You know, because he ****** SAID he was cool with it.

I'm sure he was drinking when he initially agreed that she could do this. Which is why I brought it up several times, to make sure he remembered and actually meant what he said for once.

It's as if he has no clue what if feels like to be a little kid excited to do something. And of course we say no to lots of things, and kids need to learn to deal. But don't keep saying yes and then changing it to no. How is she supposed to trust us if our words mean nothing?

No, I'm not letting this one go, **** that. I'm going to calmly remind him of our previous conversations, and unless unforeseen circumstances have come up (they haven't), he needs to keep his word.

*SIGH* I'm so tired of this.

Bonnie, Im so sorry you are having this difficulty. I agree with you and would just go ahead and sign her up despite what he is now saying.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

20 not out.....
That's more than the Australian cricket batsmen can manage....

I'm getting right into recovery now.
Hope all are well!!!
Old 11-29-2018, 03:13 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
Dee - reading, trying to keep busy, just sit with it, I’ve tried everything it seems.
remember to eat and stay well rested too

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

D
Old 11-29-2018, 04:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chaisson View Post
TJ - I like your introspection and decision to not make a move until your sobriety is stronger. Those with longer-term sobriety seem to say we shouldn't take on too much or make any big life changes this early on. I know I've got some weighty life decisions to make but want more sober time and clarity of mind under my belt.
Thanks to Dee for that advice!
Old 11-29-2018, 08:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I talked to my wife on the phone three hours ago then hung up and came right to this place... feeling paralyzed... not knowing where to go, what to do, or what to type.

With the stress of my daughter's car "troubles", her final exams, my tedious/mundane work project that hit a wall, my wife informing me she told her workplace she plans on looking for a new job based on some "news" she was told, and my re-aggravation of my left elbow injury after slipping on ice in the work parking lot... I was lost.

Since I had relapsed recently (on Day 3 only), I figured the only option was to numb the pain and start the clock over.

Now, I am starting to read some of the other posts in this forum of people with real problems and I feel guilty. After all, I am not about to lose anything, don't have to deal with an unexpected death of a family member, or anything else tragic.

This sounds like I have relied on my coping mechanism for far too long! Would you agree?

I am done with my rant... hope the rest of you are doing well this evening.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:09 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Theres an AA saying - when your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.

I was terrified of dealing with the simplest things.

Recovery gave me the knowledge I was more capable and more resilient than I ever imagined as a drinker

D
Old 11-29-2018, 08:19 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

That's great insight!

It would also help if my wife and oldest daughter supported my recovery and became less codependent... but perhaps that is the hammer talking.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:20 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

for those of you new to monthly threads - we move this thread to our Daily Support forum at the end of the month, so that the new month thread (December) can take your place here

Nothing else changes but the location - the thread stays open and you guys are all very welcome to keep posting in it

I'll move it my tomorrow - 1st of December my time

D
Old 11-29-2018, 08:54 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I just wanted to post here as a newbie after submitting my other introductory thread. Today is 29 days and the first November I’ve been alcohol free in many years. I’ve been motivated by the responses and threads from others here. Thank you.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:02 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Start o day 5 . Put the Christmas tree up last night . I'm promised myself I'm not to drink this Christmas and feel terrible all of the holidays like last year .
Well first time apart from pregnancy I've put the tree up without a glass of red next to me " to get me in the mood?? "
Old 11-29-2018, 09:17 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like a good aim Strawberry
welcome JimmyJlover

D
Old 11-29-2018, 10:08 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Morning all, Day 30 wow. Sometimes I didn't think I would get here but I am so pleased I did.

Hope you all have a good day.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:40 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Congrats Kaily