Notices

Class of November 2018 Part 3

Old 12-16-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Clear path — I hope that even if you’re signed out, you’re still reading this thread. You’re still one of us, regardless of what you decide.

I joined here under a different name back in 2012. The people in my class really helped me, but I didn’t stick around. I guess I dropped out and disappeared because I was embarrassed to keep posting about my failures, and I wasn’t ready to admit to myself that my problem was that serious.

That wasnt what i told myself at the time though; I only realize that in retrospect. Can’t rememer what I told myself, but it doesn’t matter. The support I was getting here stayed with me until I was ready to come back and start fresh.

Thats just me though. I hope you’re in a better place than I was back then. I respect your choices and if this is what you need to do to get your head in the right place, that’s cool. I don’t get how that would be the best choice though, because I think the support here is invaluable.

I hope youll stick around. Whatever you do, we’re here for you.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:08 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Hope your dog is ok kaily.

please stay on clear path. There are no negatives being on sr and staying alone and isolated is not a good idea.

travelled home today very tired . Hope everyone is ok.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:14 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Checking in early on Sunday evening. The location sharing app my family uses shows my daughter back in Texas, gradually moving toward Houston, still several hours away. It’s like tracking a hurricane. 😄

Oh well, I’m feeling relieved that she’ll be back soon. Hopefully she won’t be bringing drama.

I really want a drink. Not because of my daughter, just because I want a drink. Something about Sundays for some reason. It’s fine though, I’ve got this.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:27 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

You got this BonnieFloyd! No drinking tonight!
Old 12-16-2018, 04:22 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ClearPath64 View Post
Good morning all. I wish all of you the very best in your journey. I'm checking out of SR. I need to stop talking and start doing. I'm going to beat this. Love to each and every one of you. No need to respond as I'm signing off after I post this. Didn't want to leave you wondering. Just what I need to do.
Hey CP

I have no problem with people leaving SR so long as they have a plan and things to replace SR with.

A lot of people leave with a plan to simply 'try harder'.

The inner addict loves that because in practice it means we;re alone and without any defences against the desire to drink.

I really hope you reconsider and keep posting here.

SR is for those struggling as much or maybe even more as those who've gotten their recovery down.

We do not shoot our wounded and we really do want to help

D
Old 12-16-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Omg, the service at this restaurant is so slow, my husband is on his second glass of wine and our food isn’t even here yet, and I’m wishing I were on my second glass of wine too.

Just sneaked off to say AAAAARRRGH!

Back to my iced tea now.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:54 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do this BF

D
Old 12-16-2018, 05:55 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Thanks Rd2q and Dee. Wow, I did not enjoy dinner tonight. My husband drinks every night, not as bad as I was, but it’s still every night. I’m usually okay with handling it, but we go to restaurants too much. It’s really hard sometimes, especially when I can smell his wine. Then tonight he started going on about how good that wine was, not even thinking. I guess he thinks this is easy for me?

Whatever, it’s fine. People get sober when their spouse drinks; it can be done. (It CAN be done, right?)

I’m relaxing at home listening to Radiohead on high volume. The hard part of the day is over, and I got through it sober.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:43 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

I think it would be harder do quit with someone else in the home that drinks but it's definitely possible. Maybe it's just about changing your thinking. Does alcohol really taste better than the that iced tea? Alcohol will just make you tired, the extra empty calories take away from the enjoyment of the food, and it's expensive. Also you will sleep better without it and feel better the next morning. I try to focus on the bad aspects of drinking and currently I can't even think of one good thing about it. It's not wanted in my life.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

ClearPath - use SR as an adjunct tool, one cannot have enough tools...seriously, my garage is full! Lol

Keep at it! I like where your head is at referring to action.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:24 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of people here got sober with drinking spouses. In a sense we live in a world of drinkers. We just have to let them do them....and we do us.

D
Old 12-16-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

We should all get around another a bit more.
It''s a shame when a member leaves.

Let me assure all the class there's absolutely no judgement from me regardless of how many relapses anyone may experience...!!!!

Old 12-16-2018, 07:44 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
I’m relaxing at home listening to Radiohead on high volume. The hard part of the day is over, and I got through it sober.
My favorite band!! Got to see them perform in Chicago back in August.

My first experience seeing them was second row of GA back in 2003... completely sober... and it was one of the best experiences of my life!

On a less positive note... I crashed and burned last night. So much so, that I didn't wake up today until about 4:00 pm. I dulled things down today and went out for dinner and a couple of drinks to relieve the anxiety. (Which were not enjoyable, by the way.)

Now, I am thinking that I should just not request a refill of my anxiety meds... because it bails me out whenever I wake up in the morning in a panic.

Plus, I am closing on 30 days until my trip to CA/AZ... I want to fully enjoy it and feel like I earned it.

As much as I would like to have abstinence be a choice, I feel I just need a HARD STOP!! It's done... over. I get nothing out of it anymore. No "celebratory" last drink, no low points, no light bulbs going off.... just stop. Exercise the willpower early in recovery, don't let my guard down, then it will get easier from there.

Thanks for listening.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:08 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

TJ — you have excellent taste in music. Radiohead is the best band of all time. Sorry to hear you drank, but I’m glad you keep coming back and trying to learn from each experience.

Maybe you should be careful about stopping anxiety meds. A lot of people who drink are self medicating to treat anxiety. If it’s helping you and you stop, it might be tempting to drink more.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:21 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
TJ — you have excellent taste in music. Radiohead is the best band of all time. Sorry to hear you drank, but I’m glad you keep coming back and trying to learn from each experience.

Maybe you should be careful about stopping anxiety meds. A lot of people who drink are self medicating to treat anxiety. If it’s helping you and you stop, it might be tempting to drink more.
Thanks Bonnie! I am on other maintenance anxiety/depression meds that I will continue to take. The one I am talking about is strictly taken on "when symptoms arise" basis. (It is Xanax, by the way.) I have learned through time that I do not need to take it when I am not drinking. It has been a really effective "kill a hangover" drug for me... not good.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:27 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

On a side note, if I just attended concerts every night, I would never have a reason to drink! This is especially true when I am in GA and don't want to leave my spot (like the Jack White concert a couple of weeks ago).

What are your favorite Radiohead songs, Bonnie? My Top 10 are 1) Paranoid Android (best song ever recorded, IMO), 2) Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, 3) Knives Out, 4) Morning Bell, 5) Just, 6) Go To Sleep, 7) Idioteque, 8) Reckoner, 9) Burn the Witch, 10) There There. (... and I could give you a completely different list tomorrow. )
Old 12-16-2018, 10:06 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Omg, yes to every song on that list, especially Paranoid Android. I would add A Wolf at the Door, I Will, Let Down, Jigsaw Falling into Place, No Surprises, and Karma Police. Their music sends me to my happy place.

I haven’t seen them live. I’m jealous. If I could see them live, I would totally have to be sober; I would want to remember it!
Old 12-16-2018, 10:42 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Morning all, 6.30 am.

Glad you got home safe and sound Ral, hope you slept well.

Well done Bonnie, I think I would struggle watching someone drink every night but as Dee said let them do them.
I must admit when you say about eating out I get slightly jealous as its something I so rarely do. I suppose its all about a happy medium, you do it too much to appreciate it, me not enough so glorify it.

TJV You say you just want to stop drinking now so maybe take a look at AVRT The Crash Course. I don't know how to post links but it is well worth a read. Also the secular section on SR has loads of threads about it.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:51 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  
Administrator

new thread time guys
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-4-a.html (Class of November 2018 Part 4)

D