Class of November 2018 Part 3

Old 11-29-2018, 11:16 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go Kaily

D
Old 11-30-2018, 01:31 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Morning all! Hope everyone is keeping well. Day 7 for me. I've got terrible anxiety at the moment and my sleeping is poor as I keep waking up during the night and then struggling to get back to sleep so am crawling out of bed exhaused at the moment. However I'm doing my best to ignore the anxiety and to just get on with the things I have to do.

I need to get back to the gym as I find that helps with the anxiety - and therefore sleep - but I'm lacking motivation at the moment.

The main thing is though, it's day 7 for me and I have a number of things planned for today to keep me busy. And for the first time this week the weather forecast is for it NOT to rain! It's done nothing but rain all week. I like to go for a walk but when it's absolutely pouring it down outside (like it was yesterday) it does put me off a little...
Old 11-30-2018, 01:58 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Congrats on 1 week Robbie and 30 days Kaily
Old 11-30-2018, 03:24 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Good Morning Friends :)

ClearPath64… So good to hear from you! Oh, the T-Day desserts can be so, so tempting!

Bonniefloyd… I’m so glad you are a bit better today! You mean your house STAYS clean? I would be just as upset about your situation and I would put my foot down for sure!

Broncosys… You sound amazing! I don’t know if would waste one moment thinking about the past when it sounds like you are so happy and content in the present! :)

RAL… I think I’ll send you in my place ;)

RikerNY… So glad you are feeling better!

TeeJayVerm… I am really enjoying the audio version of the book and have been meaning to suggest it to the class! The only thing I find totally annoying is when they keep saying “Thriving in Sobriety” like it’s a infomercial! It was ironic when they said we might be getting annoyed with them repeating that over and over too! But I don’t think I’m annoyed for the same reasons they would think, though. I can’t stand the word “sober” or “sobriety”. It sounds so boring and… somber. I don’t want to belong to that club! LOL Anyway… rant over. I can totally relate the information burnout. I just got to your post (#32). I feel the exact same way about coping. I have been using alcohol to cope for a very long time and now that it’s been removed, it’s like being dropped on foreign ground. I don’t think wanting support from the people closest to you is anything but a realistic feeling.

Phil71els… Welcome! I’m so glad you are here :)

Citrus… OH gosh. That is a real pain in the butt! We’ve had our card compromised so many times now. Sadly, my banker says it’s very common nowadays. What is wrong with people? I’m so glad you came right back :)

Caramel… Hi! How are you?

Chaisson… Thank you! It’s crazy how many people DON’T overdo it, huh? Gosh I wish I’d been one of those people. The first time I overdid it was in 8th grade. And I kept overdoing it until my mid-40's. So sad.

dafunbra… That sounds extremely frustrating. Relationships (past and present) can be so hard! I’m glad you plan to have an enjoyable evening! I’m sure your friend’s children appreciate you!

orderfororder… I love your post! I never use the word “recovery”. It’s another word that makes me cringe. I look at my alcohol-free journey as “discovery” and that’s what your post reminded me of :)

Jillian2563… I feel envious of people who get it on the first – maybe even few - tries.

obosob… Great work and HAPPY 20! :)

Dee74… I cannot believe tomorrow is December 1st!

Strawberry18… Great job! That’s huge!

Kaily… Woo-hoo! Thirty days is awesome! :)

Robbie… Great job racking up those days! I need to get cardio back into my life. It’s amazing how much it can help with moods. I just wish it weren’t so challenging to “just do it”!
Old 11-30-2018, 04:06 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BreakFree View Post

I can’t stand the word “sober” or “sobriety”. It sounds so boring and… somber. I don’t want to belong to that club!

I never use the word “recovery”. It’s another word that makes me cringe. I look at my alcohol-free journey as “discovery” and that’s what your post reminded me of
I think that I'm with you for the most part on this BF. Tried looking up some synonyms for both words, to see if there might be a better term we could use.

Sober: clear-headed; sensible; thoughtful; not drunk

The last one cuts to the point. The others aren't any more exciting than 'sober', I guess. Clear-headed. I'm clean and clear-headed. Better than sober? Maybe.

Recovery: recuperation; convalescence; repossession; reclamation; redemption; recuperation

Basically regaining something that you had before.

Regaining something I had before. That's a tough one for me. I don't really know what I had before. I didn't really like myself much as a kid, or teenager, and drinking has clouded the majority of my adult life. I think "discovery" is spot on BF. For me, this really is about discovering who I am, and who I can be.

Happy Friday everyone. Don't forget about the new location of this thread, starting tomorrow. December starts our second month of discovery.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:35 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hello all, just checking in for the final day of November. I’m on day 9 and feeling very positive about sobriety. Not posting much but I check in and read SR every day. Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 11-30-2018, 04:59 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Day 5 and feeling pumped! Enjoy reading the posts. Sleeping much better, fight the thought that my mind tries to trick me "you feel great...see...5 days and no issues...what would a few drinks matter". So far...SR and just sticking to it working. Also keeping a journal that I can go back and read to refresh how it really was. Off for my walk now. Have a great last day of November!!
Old 11-30-2018, 05:06 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Robbie and everyone else celebrating milestones today, no matter what they are

D
Old 11-30-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I love waking up with no hangover to read all of your posts. You guys are racking up some major sober time! That makes me so happy.

I guess I'm going to be the "baby" of the group. I'm still very happy I am on any 2 instead of day 1.
I had a kid that majorly did not want to go to school today, oh my stars. But we accomplished the impossible and now I am enjoying coffee by our Christmas tree, listening to some soothing music. I'll enjoy it before a weekend full of kids activities. The plan is to stay sober and present for every second of it so I will be sitting here in peace once again come Monday morning!
Old 11-30-2018, 06:39 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

As November is coming to a close, just wanted to say a quick congratulations to all. Whether we have a day, days or weeks, consecutive or not, the fact that we are here and trying really is an accomplishment. This takes effort and commitment but we keep returning, even when at our lowest of lows. I've enjoyed our first month of commiserating with and supporting each other. Let's keep it going.

Onward December and the November class!
Old 11-30-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Day 18.

I am feeling so frustrated right now. Sometimes people suck. I'm very close to just saying eff it. I can't seem to reason with myself right now or talk myself out of it.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Bonnie, will it help to write it down. deep breaths. take a walk, a bath distraction can help. please don't drink. whatever it is will still be there and you'll just feel twice as bad.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Today is day 30 for me.

What started out as a 30 day challenge 2-3 years ago and being unable to complete has finally taken hold. I posted here for the first time a few days ago once realizing the horrors I faced with drinking were becoming fading memories, and that I need help beyond what I can do for myself. I don't want to forget the dreadful times that led me here. I want to remember all the negatives and the serious details that came with it. I want to remember how much I have improved with things that no longer bother me in just a short 30 day span. I want to see what else I can do... I am committing to another day to finish out November, then I will focus on tomorrow...well, tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Bonnie, will it help to write it down. deep breaths. take a walk, a bath distraction can help. please don't drink. whatever it is will still be there and you'll just feel twice as bad.
Oh, it's just stupid things adding up and wearing me down.

Anyway, I have to go down to my kid's school at noon, so I can't drink before then, which gives me a little time to try to reason with myself. I keep thinking maybe I'll swing by the liquor store afterward. I'm not thinking straight, and I'm aware of this, but I can't seem to redirect my thinking.

Okay. I'm just going to go for a walk. Don't know if it'll help, but it can't hurt, right?
Old 11-30-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Welcome to the November class JimmyJ.

I completely agree with you. It is so easy it is to forget the horrors of drinking and become nonchalant about our newly achieved sobriety then start romancing ideas of drinking again.

I have a lot of threads on SR that I have posted at my worst so I sometimes look back at them if I need a reminder!

Hope you stay with us.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:37 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
Day 18.

I am feeling so frustrated right now. Sometimes people suck. I'm very close to just saying eff it. I can't seem to reason with myself right now or talk myself out of it.
Don't drink Bonniefloyd. You will feel so much more frustrated tomorrow if you do. Yes lots of people suck, they are not worth you throwing in the towel.

Get a nice hot chocolate with extra cream and marshmallows or whatever does it for you as long as its not alcohol.

Stay strong.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:59 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Today is day 30 for me. I thought I was doing well, and as I haven't drank I guess I still am. One of my biggest fears in this whole thing is I'm going to get sober, live well in recovery, get my life turned around, and it's not going to matter one bit in the things I want it to. Between ex-wife troubles and my current GF deciding last night she is too concerned about my legal issues to continue, and the legal issues themselves, I really thought about throwing in the towel last night.

But i didnt, which I guess is some progress. I had to think about why I'm doing this and what I'm trying to do. And it brought home that I don't want to be the way I was, and that I'm doing all of this to get better for me. I want all of this stuff to go away today, but I don't want a drink. Read a lot on here and on the web last night. Thank you all for providing the inspiration, insight, and strength for me to get through that and to go to work this morning with a clear head and no regrets. SR is an awesome community, and I'm very glad I found it. Have a good day, everyone.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:07 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Day 31 sober

Hi everyone,

just checkng in on day 31...been extremely busy at work and will be right up until Christmas... I have really grouchy and in a lot of pain these days but I have managed to stay off the poison!!! Yay!!!

Been reading This naked mind and your posts and it helps a lot.

TGIF

Old 11-30-2018, 09:26 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Stay strong Bonniefloyd! You can do this. Make sure you have something filling to eat before you go to the school.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:54 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

BreakFree - hi, yourself I'm well, thank you for asking

Be well, everybody take care xx