Notices

Weekender Thread 07-10 September 2018

Old 09-07-2018, 06:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoeydog View Post
I'm sitting here planning sober weekend things -- movie, hike, canoe -- to get me through. I worry about weekends, but I'm starting Friday strong and committed.
Good luck everyone!
Sounds like my kind of weekend! Have a great time.

This weekend is all about AA because my sponsor is concerned that I haven't been frequenting meetings as much recently. Lunch meeting today, a picnic and speaker tomorrow at a nearby state park and homegroup Sunday night. As I am struggling with whether AA will be a permanent part of my life, I am focusing on the present and learning as much as I can.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
My Aggies play mighty Clemson tomorrow at Kyle Field, it might get ugly!

Oh and RIP Burt Reynolds!
Go Aggies!!
Old 09-07-2018, 06:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

good morning everyone. stay with us those that are struggling. My AV is making a last ditch effort to stay alive, telling me how much fun it would have been to get drunk yesterday while cleaning house. My house is much cleaner and I am feeling ever so much better with my ice tea instead.

So today I am taking the dogs and going out on a local historical search. I have a book with all the GPS coordinates to historical sites and the book will ask you a question that you have to answer that you could only know if you actually found the site. For example it would ask what is the name on the grave 7 plots to the left. When you finish the book you take it to the place you bought it and get a small gold nugget.

I will stay safe and keep an eye out for vengeful squirrels,,,,

Badge
Old 09-07-2018, 06:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badgerden View Post
So today I am taking the dogs and going out on a local historical search. I have a book with all the GPS coordinates to historical sites and the book will ask you a question that you have to answer that you could only know if you actually found the site. For example it would ask what is the name on the grave 7 plots to the left. When you finish the book you take it to the place you bought it and get a small gold nugget.

I will stay safe and keep an eye out for vengeful squirrels,,,,

Badge
That sounds like SO much fun Badge! I will have to check if there's something like that available for my area

What is it with the squirrels these days? It just happened a week ago that one of them shouted at me. I wasn't even aware of them making any noises before that incident... They still look very cute!
Old 09-07-2018, 06:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I spent the afternoon cutting my hair and soon I'll go to my dad's for dinner. It'll just be him and me, his wife is busy tonight. He seemed really excited about the plum pie I baked and also he has done research on our ancestry and tracked our line down to 1638!

I just hope he won't drink too much..
Old 09-07-2018, 07:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Mr

Gold nugget reminds me of the Only Fools and Horses (- my childhood favourite comedy) when Del and Rodney go on holidays in Miami

"He's a little gold nugget. Yeah, that's what he is, Rodney. A little gold nugget! "

Suppose the non UK people are lost ....
Old 09-07-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in.
I've had a very stressful last few weeks at work and with other stuff. I feel overworked and overwhelmed.

These are the times I used to "unwind" and "relax" with booze. I used to tell myself I "deserved" to have a bottle of wine or so when I was feeling this way. Of course, it was completely counterproductive, because the time spent drinking and recovering was time I could have spent getting things done so I wouldn't be so overwhelmed. Not to mention that drinking only added to my anxiety, in the long run.

So now, I just try to get through these times the same way I approached early sobriety. Take deep breaths. Feel the feelings. Take care of only the things that are actually mine to take care of, and let the rest go, or at least set them aside until later to look at. Realize that I'll get through it somehow. Set aside some "me time." One day at a time. One hour at a time. Whatever it takes.

It's not easy. But this, too, shall pass.

Next week I'm going fishing with my boyfriend and his brother for four days in far Northern Minnesota. No e-mail, probably. Maybe no cell phone service at all. It will be a much-needed break for all of us, but at the same time, the to-do lists will continue to grow while we are gone. So it comes with its own stress, trying to take care of vital things before we leave. I'm trying to feel happy we are going, but also feeling dread about what things will be waiting for me when we get back. I hope I can relax some. And catch some big fish.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Goood morning, I'm on!

Have you checked yourself in the mirror today Sao? That squirrel DNA is powerful stuff!
Thank you, Dragon. That put a smile on my face.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Greetings, all.

Day 9 of the chemo cream - nine areas have reacted, one the size of a quarter and the others about the size of nickels so I have a bit of Pizza Face going on! Doesn’t look great but it is really not all that sore or painful yet. I expect that I will be prescribed at least two additional weeks of treatment after I visit the doctor on Day 15 as these lesions need to go through a few more stages yet.

Well, it is Friday, too! Let’s all have a beautifully sober weekend!
Old 09-07-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Mr

Fishing will take your mind off of that to-do list MLD
Northern Minnesota would be lake fishing I presume.

We have decided to go out to the famous American giant McDonald's this evening... Salad bar or Big Mac... ummmmm....
Old 09-07-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Mr

Courage to you Leigh
Old 09-07-2018, 08:50 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post

We have decided to go out to the famous American giant McDonald's this evening... Salad bar or Big Mac... ummmmm....
Oooooo.....where are you? I missed that part....I went to the McD's in Paris years ago with the bookshelves etc....the fake ones....looked like a library. Is it that one or a different one?
Old 09-07-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

(((((MLD)))))

(((((Leigh)))))

Sending so much love to both of you. ♥♥♥
Old 09-07-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
(((((MLD)))))

(((((Leigh)))))

Sending so much love to both of you. ♥♥♥
Thank you.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:58 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post

Yes, lake fishing. A big lake (not Superior, though). Lake Kabetogama. Wayyyyy up there near Canada. Should be idyllic.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Mr

Sounds fantastic MLD. My inlaws love lake fishing. My brother in law has a little fold up boat he puts on the roof of his Volkswagen Combi. I'm more of a dry fly with floating line in small rivers...
Have a great weekend and happy fishing.

Hey Suze. I live outside Toulouse. I read an article one time about why you always feel hungry shortly after a Big Mac meal. So if that happens tonight and I still feel hungry I can have a 2nd meal and have the satisfaction of knowing whats going on
Old 09-07-2018, 10:13 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

VMan, The town I live in has an excellent trout stream. Lots of people come here to fly fish. I have tried it a couple of times but lost patience when I couldn't master it right away. I should try again. I am two minutes away from one of the best trout streams in the whole state and I don't know how to fly fish.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:24 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Sounds fun, Hawking.

Marty, I hope you can make a massive amount of headway today to really take a bite out of the cares hanging over your head.

Leigh, I’m glad the cream is having the right effect!
Old 09-07-2018, 11:09 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sending healing vibes your way Leigh and soothing ones to you MLD. That plum pie sounds good Kevlarsjal. Badger, that historical search sounds great, I hope the weather is good for it. I am off to Ten Pin Bowling in about an hour, always fun.

Some late news just breaking - a suspect has emerged in the case of the Edinburgh zookeepers missing can of energy drink:-

https://youtu.be/z0rJNDmtGGw

Old 09-07-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

support Leigh

Kevlar- I think it is so good your dogs take an interest in history. (a joke btw)